Mounting a Scotty down rigger on a dingy (RIB)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grahamdouglass

Vessel Name
Summer Wind 1
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 41
I have a Walker Bay Genisus 310 RIB, mounted on Sea Wise davit system.

I am thinking of mounting a Scotty downrigger to the forward SeaWise metal davit bar.
I am also thinking of mounting a line hauler to haul prawn traps on this same platform since the platform would be interchangeable for downriggers and linehaulers.

Has anyone done this?

The fwd arm of a Seawise seems to me to be too light weight for that purpose and will provide only one support.

Though my Caribe 12 came to me with exactly that, I removed it. I think you need two supports, spaced apart by 10" or 12".

Princess Auto for square aluminum tubing, 1.5" seems right.
Any Aluminum fabricator for a scrap of 3/8" plate.
You need to find a place where the line hauler platform you are making will not be in the way, when you have passengers and no fishing gear aboard. Then screw it all together with SS screws.

It needs to be within plug in distance of wherever your Scotty 12v outlet is located.
For me, the location was tricky. I mocked up a platform out of wood and tried out 4 different locations before settling on the location I used for the Aluminum model.
Once it has proven itself, take it off and get it welded, take out the screws. Then it will last the life of the dinghy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom