Old 10-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Ok, of the many choices to consider, there's not a ton of available inventory. I'd been leaning toward a Highfield CL340 but they're largely sold out anywhere that'd be convenient. I did manage to find a CL360, and plan to put a 30hp on it. It'll be around 12'4' bow to raised outboard prop, so it'll still fit effectively on our swim platform. Weight will be well under the 700# rated for the lift. Hopefully delivered mid-November, just in time to sit around all winter!
Old 10-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #22

City: Palm Beach Gardens
Vessel Name: Var Korall
Vessel Model: 48 Camargue Yachtfish
Check rigidboats.com. Very stable and fit your weight requirements. If looking for used, also check 'boss boats'.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #23
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Ok, of the many choices to consider, there's not a ton of available inventory. I'd been leaning toward a Highfield CL340 but they're largely sold out anywhere that'd be convenient. I did manage to find a CL360, and plan to put a 30hp on it. It'll be around 12'4' bow to raised outboard prop, so it'll still fit effectively on our swim platform. Weight will be well under the 700# rated for the lift. Hopefully delivered mid-November, just in time to sit around all winter!
Sounds like a great choice. Not much difference in weight between them, and bigger is better if you've got the storage. I think you'll like it.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:21 PM   #24
Guru

Pulled the trigger on a Highfield CL360 with a Tohatsu 30. Took delivery today. Fantastic day on the water, unusually high temps for a November day. Couldn't run it hard as the outboard still has to break-in. But got about an hour on it just above idle taking it from the ramp to the boat.

The platform chocks will need some adjusting but for the most part it fits into the same setup as the Avon. Clearance is as I expected, about 8" on either end.
Attached Thumbnails
20211118_135258.jpg  
Old 11-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #25
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
That’s a nice setup.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:50 AM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Pulled the trigger on a Highfield CL360 with a Tohatsu 30.

Clearance is as I expected, about 8" on either end.

That's useful info. What's the width (beam) of your swim platform?

I don't think I can fit anything larger than a CL340 on ours without more overhang than I'd prefer...

-Chris
Old 11-19-2021, 10:00 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That's useful info. What's the width (beam) of your swim platform?

I don't think I can fit anything larger than a CL340 on ours without more overhang than I'd prefer...
The hull beam is 15' but the platform has a slight taper, so the max width at the point of the dinghy bow and stern is somewhat less. When I strung a tape measure from bow to tip of the prop the dinghy came in at approximately 13'1". I haven't specifically measured the swim platform, so I can't be exact, but there's enough clearance to allow the dinghy with raised outboard to fit with a bit to spare, with no overhang.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:49 PM   #28

City: West coast
Your boat and tender look wonderful!

I know someone who has a safeboat brought to him as his tender. A bit extreme I agree.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Your boat and tender look wonderful!

I know someone who has a safeboat brought to him as his tender. A bit extreme I agree.
Yowza, that'd be something!

Thanks, I got as large as would fit on the platform, while trying to remain as light as possible. We probably won't get to find out how well it performs until next Spring though.

But given inventory availability (and lack thereof) it seemed wise to get what I could now rather than be stuck waiting until what could probably be next FALL.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
The hull beam is 15' but the platform has a slight taper, so the max width at the point of the dinghy bow and stern is somewhat less. When I strung a tape measure from bow to tip of the prop the dinghy came in at approximately 13'1". I haven't specifically measured the swim platform, so I can't be exact, but there's enough clearance to allow the dinghy with raised outboard to fit with a bit to spare, with no overhang.

Thanks!

Our widest beam is 16' but more like 13" at the stern... and the platform taper makes ours only 12' at it's widest point....

I think your measurements are confirming a CL340 is about the largest I want to go...

-Chris
Old 11-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #31
Guru

Highfield publishes a PDF with the specs, and they're more detailed than most vendors offer. https://www.highfieldboats.com/wp-co...1/CL340-GA.pdf

Their docs indicate 13'3" for the CL360 and 12'8" for the CL340. I read 13'1" when it was on the showroom floor, but I'm not going to quibble over the difference. My quick check on the platform said keep it under 13'6" and it is.

The whole platform on our EB47 is a TNT lift, so I really can't use it for any sort of docking maneuvers lest I risk bending the hydraulics (or so I've been warned). It's not "that" delicate but I'd prefer to avoid pushing the limits, so I treat it like I "can't" use it for maneuvering.

My concern on length was not having any parts sticking out in a way that'd catch during docking, or be in any direct wash when underway on plane, which I'd think would be true for most installs on a platform.

The real challenge is available inventory. Don't dawdle if you want one any time soon.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Highfield publishes a PDF with the specs, and they're more detailed than most vendors offer.

Their docs indicate 13'3" for the CL360 and 12'8" for the CL340.

My concern on length was not having any parts sticking out in a way that'd catch during docking, or be in any direct wash when underway on plane, which I'd think would be true for most installs on a platform.

The real challenge is available inventory. Don't dawdle if you want one any time soon.
Thanks for that ref; hadn't noticed that on their site and it's very useful to see the specs with the engine shaft figured in. Might be the 340 is too large... Or maybe carrying the outboard with the shaft not rotated so far up, perhaps rested on the platform, could buy enough extra inches.

My platform is also a lift, GHS, and ideally, I don't part parts sticking out either.

-Chris
Old 11-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #33
Guru

I don't remember if Annapolis Inflatables had a CL340 on the floor or not. They did have a CL360, and that's how I measured mine. If they do and you're in the area it might be worth dropping by and giving it a quick check. My measurement wasn't precise as I just eyeballed it with a tape measure along the gunwale. I just wanted to make sure it didn't exceed 13'6". But if you drop a line from the bow and the prop and measure on the floor the measurement would be more exact. Jessie is the guy to talk to over there. 410-800-4443
Old 11-21-2021, 07:37 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I don't remember if Annapolis Inflatables had a CL340 on the floor or not. They did have a CL360, and that's how I measured mine. If they do and you're in the area it might be worth dropping by and giving it a quick check. My measurement wasn't precise as I just eyeballed it with a tape measure along the gunwale. I just wanted to make sure it didn't exceed 13'6". But if you drop a line from the bow and the prop and measure on the floor the measurement would be more exact. Jessie is the guy to talk to over there. 410-800-4443

Yep, I'm in touch with Jesse, just haven't been able to schedule time to go browse.

Thanks, again.

Cheers, -Chris
Old 11-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #35

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Congrats on your new RIB!

Same exact RIB we got from Jessie, but our 30 is white.
How long did the purchase take from order to delivery?
Old 11-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebyu View Post
Congrats on your new RIB!

Same exact RIB we got from Jessie, but our 30 is white.
How long did the purchase take from order to delivery?
Thanks. I talked to Jesse at the Annapolis boat shows and followed up about a week later at the store. I lucked into them having the dinghy and the helm in stock. I wasn't rushed to make it happen, so I said mid-November (about a month). I lucked into a *perfect* day for it.
Old 11-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Funny, we went to Nautical Ventures yesterday and looked at toys including dinghies. They've sold a lot of Highfield's, were early in doing so. Looked nice to us. Unfortunately, they seem to have little brand loyalty. While they do have Highfield and AB they had lots of 6 other brands that I'd never heard of.

While weight doesn't work for the OP, one of the advantages of jets is no outboard to add length, but very pleased that Highfield has the drawings with the outboards. Does no good when putting on transom lift if you don't know the full length.

I'll add too that while I considered Novurania the Cadillac of RIB's, they have so botched their dealer network that I'm not at all surprised people turning elsewhere, between that and their pricing. AB and Highfield have certainly stepped in to take over the majority of the market.

We did not escape yesterday unscathed. The lure of toys from bicycles to paddleboards to kayaks was still there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #38

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Funny, we went to Nautical Ventures yesterday and looked at toys including dinghies. They've sold a lot of Highfield's, were early in doing so. Looked nice to us. Unfortunately, they seem to have little brand loyalty. While they do have Highfield and AB they had lots of 6 other brands that I'd never heard of.

While weight doesn't work for the OP, one of the advantages of jets is no outboard to add length, but very pleased that Highfield has the drawings with the outboards. Does no good when putting on transom lift if you don't know the full length.

I'll add too that while I considered Novurania the Cadillac of RIB's, they have so botched their dealer network that I'm not at all surprised people turning elsewhere, between that and their pricing. AB and Highfield have certainly stepped in to take over the majority of the market.

We did not escape yesterday unscathed. The lure of toys from bicycles to paddleboards to kayaks was still there.
I’m using a 13’6” Novurania with a 40hp outboard.

But for the ultimate, here’s a nice way to store your tenders…
Attached Thumbnails
1D1C9BE4-58B5-48EA-B8D4-69D9D05E0305.jpg   93DF45C1-BBAB-4192-B2C3-AE710CABF882.jpg  
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #39
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
You want higher performance ditch the tube boat as the TE is rounded on most models. So both tubes suck the stern down and cause mega drag. The curved sides also cause drag …. and a wet little boat.

Get a hard-shell dinghy. 10-11’ aluminum works well. Six hp will plane it probably w two peeps on board in the right place. Much more space inside.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 05:02 PM   #40
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Higher performance RIB dinghy?

Planing wings on the outboard help immensely. It turns a moon shot to a level ride on inflatables, even ribs
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote