Dumb Tender Outboard Motor Question (Winterizing)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Ok, I am going to sound like an idiot here but oh well. *:) *We have a 10' avon RIB with a little evinrude outboard. *I want to mount the outboard on the aft rail since we only have weaver snap davits. *The dumb question is....winter is coming soon...I assume/think all the water drains out of the outboard as long as it is stored upright, yes? *I don't want to mount it on the aft rail only to realize I should have done something to keep from ruining it and having it crack due to a freeze. *:) *All boats have been inboards!

RE: Dumb Tender outboard motor question (winterizing)

If you're not going to be using your outboard during the winter, here's what's been recommended to us by the local Yamaha dealer with regards to extended storage.

The ideal storage position is vertical as you are proposing to do. Run the outboard (with the proper fresh water feed) and spray fogging oil into the carburetor(s) while it's running. The instructions on the fogging oil will tell you how much to spray in there, but I just put a lot in. The motor will smoke a lot and try to quit when you hit it with the oil so regulate the amount you spray in to keep the motor running. As soon as you start doing this disconnect the fuel hose from the motor (or turn off the fuel if the motor has an integral tank). Let the motor run as you squirt in fogging oil until it starves itself of fuel and quits.

Then remove the spark plug(s) and squirt a bunch of fogging oil into the cylinder(s). Turn the engine over by hand hand to make sure there is fogging oil on the entire cylinder wall of each cylinder.

Put the plug(s) back in and that's it. Running the motor dry helps ensure there is no fuel in the carburetor to get gummy over the winter and clog up the jets and other carburetor components.

At the end of the winter get rid of the gas in your outboard tank and start with new gas (add something like Stabil to make it stay "fresh" longer).

The new thing we learned from the Yamaha dealer (we replaced our old Evinrude trolling motor with a new Yamaha motor this year, hence the information) is to always run the motor (large or small) dry if you anticipate not using it for awhile. Like for a few weeks or a month or more. Today's gasoline goes bad pretty fast for a variety of reasons. Adding Stabil helps and Yamaha promotes a product called "Ring Free" which is supposed to help reduce residue buildup in the cylinders and on the rings (this may be nothing more than "mouse milk," I don't know). But running an outboard dry will help prevent fuel trapped in the fuel system from separating and gumming things up if the motor's going to be sitting for awhile.

We've been following this advice since and it seems to work.

Well that's the thing...we'll be using it occasionally as the Tennessee river doesn't freeze over and only has cold snaps here and there. So the trawler stays in water year round and just needs a bilge heater on. I want the dingy motor left on the boat as we'll be going up regularly but don't want it getting damaged.

Well, I would still run it out of fuel every time you're done using it at the end of a cruise. If you think you won't be going out for a couple of months or more I'd be inclined to do the fogging thing. It's pretty easy and quick and there's nothing you have to do to prepare the motor for use later. Just hook up good gas and start it. It will smoke like heck as it burns off the fogging oil but other than that just start it and go.

Tho the polution police don't like it the engine should be run in a pail of antifreez , the old green type.

The antifreez leaves a very long lasting film on all the internal parts.

Heat the pail to almost boiling , so the engines thermostat will be sure to allow the green goop to coat all the coolant passages.

We have saved and used OLD car antifreez (you do change it and the brake fluid every 2-3 years, right) to be the winterizing fluid.

Dumb Tender outboard motor question (winterizing)

I do winterize mine with the fogging oil.
Haven't done as FF suggested with the antifreeze but I do fresh water flush with the ears and a hose.** I run it in gear and rev it a bit to get the water moving.
* Just be sure the prop can't catch anything.
I also spray the inside of the powerhead with WD-40 or similar. Keeps any moisture at bay and the rust down.
Wash the outside .
Grease the various points although that could be done later

-- Edited by C lectric on Sunday 24th of October 2010 10:57:52 AM

If you are winterizing the rest of the engine you may want to change the lube oil in the lower unit.* If there is any moisture in the oil, you'll find out before it freezes and your good to go for the next season if everything is fine as it should be.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Muertos, BCS, MX

We never winterized our motor last winter here in NC and it was fine. Fogging it and running the fuel out of the system is good advise, but, if it were me, I wouldn't bother running coolant through the system unless you just feel like trying it. The coldest part of the off-season is just six or eight weeks long at most. Heck, if it's small enough, just bring it home and put it in your garage for January and February.

For the last 33 years, I have had an outboard on my boat. Never once have I winterized it. Every spring it starts and runs just fine. I always run the carbs dry before a long layup, and I leave the motor standing vertically, so sthe cooling water will run out the holes at the bottom end. The only place there might be water is in the water pump itself, but that hasn't ever been a problem in freezing weather. Of course the climate here is milder than some, so other considerations will apply in, for eg, northern east coast or great lakes ports.

I inherited our dinghy motor from my Dad.* It was left in a garage for maybe 7 years?* Nobody knows.* Put some fresh gas in there and mixed it a little rich (it is a 2-stroke) and it fired right up.* Once I ran it a bit and blew out the cobwebs it ran fine but just a bit rough.* This winter I'll have the carbs cleaned and the impeller and the spark plug replaced and it should be good to go.

2-strokes are tough little sombitches.*

I agree with the earlier post, just put it in your car and store it in your garage.* it worked for this motor for 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom