dink motor - what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got the little 2.5 hp 2 stroke Merc. Simple, lightweight & dependable.
The only thing I wish it had was a neutral gear. You have to be ready to go when you start it up. :speed boat:

Last edited:
And do take note that these days most all small outboard motors (15hp and less) are re-branded Tohatsu’s - Honda being the exception. This has been true for some time now.

Suzuki makes all their own small engines, and I think Yamaha does, too.

Suzuki made some engines for Johnson, at one time. We have a Johnson 5-hp 2-stroke, made by Suzuki, late '90s.

-Chris

Last edited:
I have a little 2.5 zuke and it's great. Pretty quiet and has neutral.

I wonder if my Yamadog is a Tohatsu too?

Suzuki makes all their own small engines, and I think Yamaha does, too.

Suzuki made some engines for Johnson, at one time. We have a Johnson 5-hp 2-stroke, made by Suzuki, late '90s.

-Chris

You know Chris, I think you are correct - perhaps more accurate would be "..most all US small outboard motors.." + Nissan :socool:

-al-

You know Chris, I think you are correct - perhaps more accurate would be "..most all US small outboard motors.." + Nissan :socool:

-al-

Maybe. Last I heard, Mercury is pretty much the only "US" brand of small outboards? Johnson is toast, Evinrude (last I heard) isn't making anything under maybe about 40-hp? Anybody I'm forgetting?

When I was shopping for our new 15-hp outboard, I found Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu, Nissan (Tohatsu), and Mercury (Tohatsu).

And I think I've read recently that Nissan isn't going to be doing small outboard anymore (even if they were by Tohatsu)?

-Chris

Someone mentioned short range on the propane fueled Lehr. According to their web site, it runs for 48 hrs @ 3000 rpm on a 20b tank of propane. I've been considering it because it seems safer than having gasoline on deck. Here is the link:
LEHR 2.5 hp 4-Stroke Outboard Engine | LEHR

Me too. I'm in no rush, but when we are full time cruising, I want to leave a 2 HP Lehr on the dinghy for the loop and keep the Merc 9.9 2 stroke for the islands. I never asked if the Lehr had a neutral, but it's a good question.

The Lehr 2.5 has neutral and forward. Spin the engine around for reverse.

My 5hp Tohatsu 2 stroke is a simple reliable little beast of burden. It can get the dinghy on the plane, but in hindsight I`d be better off one model smaller and lighter, the weight is at the edge of what I can manage fitting/removing it from the 2.7M inflatable in the water.

Marin, all of the Lehr engines can be run on larger tanks and in fact come with the hose to connect it. I use an 11 pound tank that is about the size of a 2,5 gallon gas can. The engine will run over ten hours at wide open throttle. Pull it back some and it'll run better than twenty hours.

My Honda 2 HP has a centrifugal clutch. The prop is stopped at idle, then rotates as you give it gas. IMO, better than a neutral lever.
I did not know this and I agree, I like the concept! :blush:

I tried my Honda 2 hp out on both of the dinghies I have , a Walker Bay 8 ft and a Trinka 10 ft . Both of these are hard dinghies . Maybe it's just me but I could never find a comfortable position to steer from . On both dinghies the aft seat was to close to the throttle . I had to sit in the floor to steer .I loved the motor but I think it would work better on an inflatable where you can sit further forward on the tubes . I sold the motor last week . The Trinka rows nice . On a hard dinghy I think maybe a trolling motor or the Torqedo would work best because of shorter steering/ throttle . Or may be one of those old British Seagulls :)
.It was a bit of a freak show a couple of weeks ago when I put the Honda on the Walker Bay and tried it out . I won't go into detail :nonono:but I took the motor off right away and decided to sell them separately .

43 posts and we have not mentioned sizing the dinghy motor for the needed use. If you are always anchoring near the marina, dinghy dock or beach then a 2-3.5 hp outboard is sufficient, cheaper and easier to handle than a larger outboard.

If, however, you want/need to anchor further out than the smaller outboards become a problem.

In the Eastern Caribbean for security reasons some/many boaters want to put as much distance as possible between their anchored boats and the local villages. Usually the boats that are broken into are anchored nearer the beach/village.

Distance is fine but when you have a 1 mile, 1-1/2 mile dinghy ride with a 2.5 hp motor it is a long trip. I have a couple of sailboat friends who have small outboards and they are not beyond hitching a ride with me whenever they can.

43 posts and we have not mentioned sizing the dinghy motor for the needed use.

Given OP's first post included candidates from 2.5 to 35-hp... post 25 was the best I could do.

-Chris

2-3hp: Short distance service, calm conditions, will never plane. But super easy to handle and store.

8hp up: Will plane out, but motor too heavy to easily handle. Now must use davits, hoists, etc.

3-8hp: Sort of a dead zone. Can sorta plane, but not with a load and not fast enough to be dry. Motor still too heavy to easily handle.

I went with 2hp after my 4hp died. Happier with the 2hp. But it is limited in use. But handling is super easy.

2-3hp: Short distance service, calm conditions, will never plane. But super easy to handle and store.

I went with 2hp after my 4hp died. Happier with the 2hp. But it is limited in use. But handling is super easy.

Same here...
My old 2 hp Honda is 20 years old now...One of the original watercooled units. Starts on one pull...gets me wherever I want to go!

20150513_190801-vi.jpg

What kind of motor are most of you seeing on 8' or 10' hard ( rowing ) dinghies ?

Marty,
If it's a propper row boat it will be a FD boat and one can only use one or two hp so a 3 to 4hp engine is about it.

Some (many) think any boat under 13' is a "row boat". Straight bottom and flat stern "row boats" of this type can use more power .. say 3 to 8hp.

Re the amount of power most small outboards are quite to very noisy above 1/2 throttle. I often run 8hp on my 18' power canoe (small square stern) but most of the time at half throttle where the two stroke Yamaha is very quiet. A nice pleasant ride. But if I want to scoot it will go at least 12 and probably 14 knots. Definitely wind in the face canoeing. Two stroke outboards are very smooth and quiet below 1/2 throttle and well above idle where they 4 stroke (fire every other stroke).

Last edited:
Maybe I should have added a tiller extension and sit in the center seat . Too late now I sold the motor .

What kind of motor are most of you seeing on 8' or 10' hard ( rowing ) dinghies ?

We used that same 2hp above on our Bauer 10 back in our sailboat days. Worked great...

heron2-1-vi.jpg

Maybe I should have added a tiller extension and sit in the center seat . Too late now I sold the motor .

LOL...Back when I was a kid (a long tiime ago), I had a 10 foot flat bottomed skiff with a 3hp Elgin. I made up a tiller extension so I could sit up in the bow and could actually get that sucker to plane!

Back
Top Bottom