Dinghy Search

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TT54

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Sabreline 36
We have search for hours to find a dinghy and motor we would like to have a used set but can't find anything. Interestingly lots of the used dinghies are in rough shape. We are pretty sure about what we want for both and it is very specific.
We want an aluminum hull, hypalon, 9-10 foot, 4 person dinghy. The new ones are more than we want to spend but may have to do that.
Any input as how to proceed with this search?

This forum is my go to resource for opinions very knowledgeable.

TT

Doubt you want this from your comments, but I have a very nice Novarina 11 footer, on a trailer, 25 hp Yamaha. 4 stroke...she flies. Just had it ALL serviced at Sailor Place in Stewart.

Stewart

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I should have posted where I am from so that would help with replies such as yours. I assume Stewart is in Florida and I am in Maine. I need something from Maine to RI.

An aluminum hull RHIB used? I assume you tried CraigsList and Search Tempest?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I should have posted where I am from so that would help with replies such as yours. I assume Stewart is in Florida and I am in Maine. I need something from Maine to RI.

He meant Stuart in FL. Too many posters have been writing Stewart when discussing Stuart.

I want what you want. Aluminum, Hypalon, 9-10 feet. I have a friend with an AB like this and he loves it. If you find a close-out sale or someone to discount one, let us know. I am a frugal boater like most of us here.

My last dinghy was an 9.6' AB fiberglass RIB and I loved the quality but it was heavy. Now with my new boat I need a lighter version.

It is a good trailer, but I think you want what I want, a LIGHT WEIGHT, dinghy. This is a beast at 750lb. Got 3 towing rings, 2 main 1 safety. That would be one hell a commute for a Dinghy though.

He meant Stuart in FL. Too many posters have been writing Stewart when discussing Stuart.

thanks, being a Texan I cannot spell too good, not being from these here parts I always saw Stewart when it is Stuart...no scarcasm here, had u not pointed this out I would have gone on misspelling it... Skipping merrily through life.:thumb:

Check Defender Marine in Ct, sometime they have good sales at year end, not that bad of a ride.

Defender also sells the floor display boats at a great discount. That's how I bought mine.

The suggestions about Defender are great we are checking with them tomorrow.

TT,

You might want to try North Atlantic Inflatables in Portland, Maine. We bought an aluminum 9' 6", hypalon model from them this spring. Very happy with it. Rob O'Brian 603.707.7043 was my contact.

Rob

The suggestions about Defender are great we are checking with them tomorrow.

I was at defender this summer. They are the biggest RIB dealer on the east coast. Check out their website. Their prices are pretty good and they have sales often so make sure you buy when they are having a sale. Call before you go to the store as their dinghy showroom is supposed to be by appointment only.

Thanks all,
We have been checking Defender but haven't seen one in our price range yet but we have not given up. We keep checking Craig's list to see if anything new pops up. I did check out Tempest and didn't find anything.
We checked with North Atlantic inflatables in Portland Maine and had a great conversation with Rob. The website does not list hypalon as an option but indeed they did have hypalon for about $900.00 more. He was going to order anything that we wanted and we might vary well order it at some point but in order to get our boat north we decided to borrow one from a friend just to get the boat back to Maine.
I feel very confident that this company would provide great service. My impression is that this is a small company perhaps even a one man show that is new to the business. I would love to support him on his new endeavor.
It appears that a lot of deals on dinghies are being in the right place at the right time so we will see what happens over the winter and next summer to see if there is a time like that for us and will have plan B if not.
We are finding lots of really nice dinghies out there but not quite the right price yet.
One of the differences between AB's and North Atlantic Inflatables is that the aluminum on the NAI is powder coated. Thanks again

A few years ago, I purchased a dinghy that was brand new, but 2 years old, from Bustersmarine.com. They are the largest Mercury dinghy dealer in the USA, out of New York. They list their prices right online. At the time, I felt like I got a really good deal and was very happy with the dinghy. Anyway, it may be an alternative to used for you. Good luck!

Thanks all,
We have been checking Defender but haven't seen one in our price range yet but we have not given up. We keep checking Craig's list to see if anything new pops up. I did check out Tempest and didn't find anything.
We checked with North Atlantic inflatables in Portland Maine and had a great conversation with Rob. The website does not list hypalon as an option but indeed they did have hypalon for about $900.00 more. He was going to order anything that we wanted and we might vary well order it at some point but in order to get our boat north we decided to borrow one from a friend just to get the boat back to Maine.
I feel very confident that this company would provide great service. My impression is that this is a small company perhaps even a one man show that is new to the business. I would love to support him on his new endeavor.
It appears that a lot of deals on dinghies are being in the right place at the right time so we will see what happens over the winter and next summer to see if there is a time like that for us and will have plan B if not.
We are finding lots of really nice dinghies out there but not quite the right price yet.
One of the differences between AB's and North Atlantic Inflatables is that the aluminum on the NAI is powder coated. Thanks again

I'm curious what the right price is and what you expect for that price.

I'm curious what the right price is and what you expect for that price.

Yeah, the larger inflatables are quite over priced IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
TT,

If you stop in Noank (Groton) CT on the way up let me know and I will show you our NAI, 9' 6" hypalon.

Rob

Thank you all for your detailed information on dinghies. I have researched all suggestions and have decided to use a friends rowing dinghy to bring the boat north I sure do hope that we won't have to go far in it. :) Rob, thank you for your invitation to stop in CT but we will not be going that way. I think that we have been pressuring ourselves to hurry to make a decision, not a good idea.
I am quite sure that we will be going with the NAI in Portland Maine. I will let you all know what we end up with in the spring.

I recently traded our 10' Caribe Light for an 11' version of the same model with a broker buddy of mine. It's a long story, but the end result is that he is selling our old dinghy. It's in Stuart, FL (oh, the irony) and is in good shape, I bought it new in 2007 and kept it covered. He hasn't tried very hard to sell it so far, but I know it will go quick when he does.

The Caribe Light has a fiberglass hull, but it is much lighter than a standard rib. It's a great dinghy, which is why I traded for another one.

Let me know if you have any interest and I can put you in touch with him.

Doug

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom