Different New Dinghy Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rwidman

Guru
Towing the Porta Bote is probably out so it's on to "Plan B".

Two friends at my marina have small Zodiac dinghies and Honda 2HP 4 stroke outboards.* One is very happy with his, the other is happy with the Honda but he has put a couple holes in the Zodiac and isn't all that thrilled with it.* These are small, under 8' roll up, air floor Zodiacs that seem to only be sold by defender.

Defender can't sell the motors unless I drive to CT.

There's a place in FL that sells the Hondas "for local pickup" (a five hour drive) and also sells Saturn brand inflatable, air floor, roll up dinghies.* The 7', 6" SD230 is $549, less than half the price of a Zodiac at defender.* Of course I would have to pay sales tax on the boat and motor if I pick them up, but the tax would be credited in SC when I register them so it's essentially free.

Here's a link to the dinghy:
http://www.ancientcityboatsales.com/SATURN_BOATS/SD230/SD230.html

We're talking two people, under 400 lb, and protected water infavorable weather.* Just to explore while anchored.* The next one up in size is 8', 6" and costs $200 more.

http://www.ancientcityboatsales.com/SATURN_BOATS/SD260/SD260.html

Thoughts?

The Zodiac fabric is Stronghan which is their proprietary PVC material and has a 5 year life in my experience properly covered from the sun when not in use.* The Saturn I believe is like a lot of the other PVC boats that will 'melt' within a couple of years vs the longer life of the Zodiac.* I am very happy we sold our Zodiac and went with a small hard (10' Boatex) dink that sails, rows, and motors.* It is very light, can go on Weavers or up on the foredeck.* My wife and I easily can throw it over the bow rail and recover it we have found.* We actually have a davit on the Sundeck roof, but are backed into a tight slip, so we just drop it in from the bow when plunking around the marina, we were quite surprised to discover how light they are, *it is easier to do*this than you might think.

we have an 8' achilles inflatable with woodfloor and a 4 hp 2 stroke.
i cant imagine having one with soft floor, its really nice to have the solid floor.

i bought it used and can only recommend that... its gonna get used sooner or later anyways.

Ron, on my 2002 Camano, Spirit, at Tom Clare's suggestion*I used a Watertender 9.4 powered by a 2HP Honda.
* Not a fast combination but very useable and pretty much bullett proof. I carried it tipped up on the swim platform.**
If you like pictures or more information PM me.
Steve W.

Spend the 200 for the next size up.

Most in my marina like the air floor over a solid floor. The boats are light and easy to haul to the bow for storage.

Personally I like a hard bottom.

We had the same black zodiac 10' plywood floor sport inflatable for the past 17 years.. is sat out uncovered and inflated for 15 of those years... we finally killed it last summer by overpowering it by 5 hp( 15hp on a 10hp rated boat )... and the flood gave way.
We replaced it with a new air deck zodiac and I am really happy so far.. the old air decks were not the best but this one is really rigid... 11 psi. floor pressure.
The weight is pretty low for its size. Also get the biggest dinghy you can carry... you will not regret it in the handling dept.
HOLLYWOOD

How come you guys are yak'in about these blow up boats? Aren't there any real boats for dinks anymore? What happened to the Tinka (SP?) 10'?

Eric,
I'm with you.
I would like a traditional clinker timber dinghy but too heavy (and not fast enough)
I have a 12 ft tinny with aerofloats + 15 hp.
Coral doesn't rip/tear it, crocks don't bite it in half, strong as an ox and reasonably light.
fast enough to get out and go fishing and enough room to carry the stores for when we have to go ashore shopping.
I think a little rubber thing with 2 hp would drive me nuts.

Benn

nomadwilly wrote:

How come you guys are yak'in about these blow up boats? Aren't there any real boats for dinks anymore? What happened to the Tinka (SP?) 10'?
Right on Eric!! All along I have been asking myself why the only choice here is between a deflatable and a Porta Boat? There are so many other options.

There are so many other options.

To me the best is the Grumman Sailing dink. 75 lbs ,can take a small outboard , but the best is 2 row lock positions.

The bride and I can go as fast in the rough stuff as a small OB, with no space lost to fuel tanks , fire fighting gear and all the rest of the USCG power boat junk.

Will carry 5! in modest chop.

nomadwilly wrote:

I already have a Porta Bote and motor, barely used.* I just don't think it's going to work for my boat and my boating.* I've thought it out pretty well.

Our Camano is smaller than many of the boats here so there's less room for a boat and motor.* We spend most of our time at the marina, docked stern in, and are on and off the boat constantly so storing a dinghy on the swim platform is out.* Towing the Porta Bote in and out of the marina would be a real problem and could be a problem in a different marina when travelling.

So now, I'm considering something that I can roll up and store in a bag when not in use. And a 27 lb outboard that I can store on the upper deck or cockpit.* I have two friends with this setup and it's working well for them.

The motor is pretty much a no-brainer - 27 lb with a handle on the top.* So now it's down to the choice of boat.* Both friends have the high pressure air floor and say it's better than wood slats.

So it's between a $560 boat with a two year warranty and a $1400 boat with a five year warranty.* Or a slightly larger (but more difficult to handle) boat for a couple hundred dollars more.

Two people, under 400 lb.* Under 350 at the moment.

I figured the tomatoes would be com'in so fast I'd not be able to duck'em all. Ha Ha
I do like the non-swan Frog but it's speed range is super slow or super fast (for a dink) and the blow up cat would go 7 or 9 knots more gracefully. I still may rig my sail boat converted to dink as it's semi planing and goes the speed I like. FF**** ....did you ever post pics of the Grumman you have? I usually remember an image and I don't draw one up.

As for Ron he really does have a dink problem. And it is a bit like my own*** ...having boats about the same size. You will rarely go ashore Ron if you need to inflate a duckie first. Can you get a slip that would be accommodating for a swim step mounted dink? I think that is the only easy and usable dink set up for you. The other raises your CG more than I would like on a non ballasted boat as light as yours and I think you have a sun shade over all of your upper deck but the lightweight deck crane would work very well for an upper deck stored dinghy. For me it's either that or davits aft or the duckie on top as it's light enough to haul up easily. But for smaller boats the swim step thing is hard to beat. Try and open your mind WAY up and go everywhere w possibilities until something sticks**** ....and in the end I'll bet it will be the swim step.

I think I could inflate it and leave it that way while on a trip, then store it befor I got back to the marina. That's what my friends do. One stores it on the bow, the other tows it usually. The swim platform might be an option on trips. Deflated and stored, it would be out of the weather and should last longer.

I have a crane that I removed when I bought the boat. The PO had an inflatable that I never saw, but they apparently tilted it up on the swim platform because I have the hardware for that. They used the crane to lift a 5HP 4 stroke up to the upper deck. I imagine that was quite a project to get it back on the dinghy without dropping it in the water.

If you're considering spending as much as that for the Zodiac, and plan on only 2hp rather than a motor big enough to plane, take a look at the Avon Redcrest.* Tough hypalon boat.* We run our 12-year-old Redcrest with a 22lb 2hp Yamaha (23-year-old 2-cycle).* We also enjoy rowing, and bought a good pair of 6.5-foot oars from Sawyer, which make rowing much efficient and enjoyable.* With just me and dog aboard, it scoots along pretty well under oar power.

Here's a link to one with an optional (?? used to be optional) slatted floor.* Ours without the floorboards weighs only 40lb.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|217148|295571&id=1147582

-- Edited by RCook on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:45:41 AM

Ron, I have a similar setup for the same reasons. The Honda's a piece of cake to handle and store.

I also vote for hypalon for its durability. I bought a 2006 Achilles w/ wood floor used on Craigslist for $800. I also picked up the 2003 Honda 2 HP used for $475. So for $1275, I got a decent package that stows deflated in the ER or dock locker and can be stowed along my port side deck or lashed on the bow.

Does your Camano Troll have a wide enough side deck to allow storage there?

FlyWright wrote:

Ron, I have a similar setup for the same reasons. The Honda's a piece of cake to handle and store.

I also vote for hypalon for its durability. I bought a 2006 Achilles w/ wood floor used on Craigslist for $800. I also picked up the 2003 Honda 2 HP used for $475. So for $1275, I got a decent package that stows deflated in the ER or dock locker and can be stowed along my port side deck or lashed on the bow.

Does your Camano Troll have a wide enough side deck to allow storage there?
The side decks are just wide enough to walk on.* No room for boat storage.* Our boat sits for weeks at the marina so rolling the dinghy up for storage wouldn't be a problem.* Having it already set up during trips would be nice and I think I can find a way.

I guess used is a thought. I'll check around

-- Edited by rwidman on Saturday 26th of February 2011 07:20:29 AM

Ron this is how I stored the Honda 2HP on my Camano
A bent piece of AL and*two pieces of oak, today I would use Starboard, bolted between the ladder and bulkhead.*Works fine,*the only drawback is the O/B*blocks the latch that holds the door open. I used a bungee cord to solve that.
*I lifted the OB from the dinghy by hand.
Steve W

Attachments

• ob mount 1.jpg
    ob mount 1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 167
  • ob mount 3.jpg
    ob mount 3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 165
  • ob mount 5.jpg
    ob mount 5.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 180
Ron,In your climate you prolly almost always run the boat from the FB so throw the dink on the fore deck and over the side when needed.

This is how my friend stores his outboard:

IMG_0061.JPG

One time a guy asked me how fast the boat went with the "kicker" motor!

Yes, I operate from the flybridge so keeping the dinghy on the foredeck might be the best option.

I checked back on defender.com and for some reason, the Zodiac that I was considering was on sale at $185 less than last week so I ordered it. I can get the Honda 2HP at a store in VA just off I 95 at a good price and I'll be driving past it next month anyway.

Back
Top Bottom