Deflating a RIB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I will be deflating my RIB and putting it in to storage - maybe.

Question: When I deflate, what should I be aware of, like will the tubes come off the bottom or does everything stay in place by itself?

Thanks in advance.

Tony: When I've done it, I've rolled as much of the tube over top of the inside of the rigid bottom, placed the cover or tarp over it and gently strapped it over top with motorcycle straps. It ends up kind-of like a scoop of ice cream in a bowl. Bungies are OK, but you need to keep the hooks off the tubes. If you're worried about length of time ore the tubes drying out, lube it up with tube conditioner or vinyl & leather automotive stuff. The straps help make it manageable when you need to lift or move it. I haven't seen any extra wear and tear from storing it.

be careful of anything with silicone or Teflon in it...the inflatable manufactures put out a warning that the stuff is absorbed into the fabric and migrates under the glue...thus an inflatable in pieces that cant be reglued.

Not sure if that's true any more but check the manual for what is/is not recommended.

Thanks guys.

I was wondering how much I would have to fold to get it into my van since I just added a bench seat behind the drivers/passengers seats. Then I can take it to my mini storage and inflate it again in case someone wants to see it inflated while it is still for sale. I really didn't want to remove the bench seat. It is through bolted through the floor and that will be a pain in the ass to remove and reinstall.

Personally, I not a big fan of stowing them for an long length of time deflated. Semi-deflated maybe. But not fully.

To proteched it use 303.

Back
Top Bottom