Caribe Dink and Honda OB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Would just like to get opinions on caribe dinks and honda OB's. Our N has an caribe dl12 with 40hp honda ( this thing should be like a rocket). I know the larger Hondas aren't so great for salt, but that's just what I've heard don't know about the smaller ones.

Attachments

• image-1461960489.jpg
    image-1461960489.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I like yours and am in the market for one just like it. How well does the 40hp perform? and I assume the Honda is a four-stroke?

I have a 10 1/2' Caribe with a Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke. It does a great job. Love the large tubes and hard bottom.

I have a 10 1/2' Caribe with a Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke. It does a great job. Love the large tubes and hard bottom.

Will it plane off with two people and does it feel safe in a tight turn or tippy?

Will it plane off with two people and does it feel safe in a tight turn or tippy?

Yes it will plane with 2 people. We do have a wing on the engine. It's quite fast when up on top. I don't do a lot of zigsagging, so don't know how tipsy it is in a tight turn. It's really nice when there is some distance to cover. Other than that we just putter around. I have a tiller extension to move my weight forward when alone. Mostly it is just me and Troy the dog in it. It's Troy's chariot.

I like yours and am in the market for one just like it. How well does the 40hp perform? and I assume the Honda is a four-stroke?
Not sure haven't used it yet that's why I was asking around. :) should be fine it has a 40hp with 70 hrs.

Great to hear! it only has 70hrs so it should run like a champ. I hope to test it before we make the trip from stuart to lauderdale.

I've had two Hondas (a 90 and a 15) and both were/have been bullet proof. The only down side is that their dealer network is not as far and wide as Yamaha. But I wouldn't worry about it in the US, and if you travel further, carrying a few spare parts should take care of things.

I have a Nautica 12 widebody with a Honda 50 on the back. Total weight is about 800lbs. I have been towing it for the last 600 miles as I am getting ready to boost the davit motor on the Defever.

The PO put in a puny Superwinch 1000 winch motor which translaters to about 200lb verticle lift.

The 50 is good when on plane at 32mph but I changed the prop recently for higher speed which makes it tough on start up to plane, I may change the prop back for quicker plane and lower top end.

Was looking at changing the outboard out for a 30hp but the weight difference between a 50 and 30 is negligible.

Attachments

• DSC_0410.jpg
    DSC_0410.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 128
I have a Nautica 12 widebody with a Honda 50 on the back. Total weight is about 800lbs. I have been towing it for the last 600 miles as I am getting ready to boost the davit motor on the Defever. The PO put in a puny Superwinch 1000 winch motor which translaters to about 200lb verticle lift. The 50 is good when on plane at 32mph but I changed the prop recently for higher speed which makes it tough on start up to plane, I may change the prop back for quicker plane and lower top end. Was looking at changing the outboard out for a 30hp but the weight difference between a 50 and 30 is negligible.
Oh, okay our davit is 1300lb so it should have no problems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom