Old 06-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #41

City: Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Instead Of
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Dingy to use on Mainship Pilot

I have a Mainship 34 trawler with a Portland Pudgy on the transom. Works great, is under 100 lbs. I use a small pulley system attached to the upper deck to raise and lower it. And you can still open the transom door while it is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C81738ED-4403-4462-A4BE-354985000DFD.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	103609  

Sailinggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #42

City: Stuart
Vessel Name: Catmandu
Vessel Model: Seasport Pacific 3200
No comments on Porta-Bote?

Surprised no one has mentioned Porta-Bote. Very lightweight, no risk of puncture, 4” of draft, virtually indestructible.. You can even get a sail kit for it. Folds up to the size of a surfboard, or use / mount unfolded. I’ve been using these boats in various lengths for years and would never consider anything else. Absolutely love them.

JoeReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinggod View Post
I have a Mainship 34 trawler with a Portland Pudgy on the transom. Works great, is under 100 lbs. I use a small pulley system attached to the upper deck to raise and lower it. And you can still open the transom door while it is attached.
Really nice set up.
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Navarre
I have a 44 foot marine trader and just dumped my 10 foot dinghy it was the west marine RIB 310 takes up too much room on the Swim platform.

I’m going to buy a portabote something that’s easy to store on my marine trader.
Navarre Fl
Fajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:36 PM   #45

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Tortuga Roja
Vessel Model: Oceans PT Sundeck 46
I stand my dinghy up on itís stern only uses 5 feet of the swim platform
Itís a hard dinghy but you can stand up an inflatable too
William983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #46
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
Was wondering if anyone ever has ever run with a dinghy on stern davits where the dinghy is longer than the stern is wide. I see blow boaters do this a lot since the stern of there boats seem to taper back to be pretty narrow. And other than for docking issues with overhang Which is really more of a control issue for the larger boat I canít really see any issue why not to go longer. Iím not talking about a much bigger dingy but something maybe a foot overhang on either side Would seem pretty acceptable to me. Iím not seeing much of a downside but quite a bit on the upside. I like the idea of having maybe a 14 foot flats boat since I like fishing quite a bit and it seems a bit more versatile than a 10-12 foot rhib. Thoughts?
Sailboats don't go fast enough to have spray coming across the stern. On a powerboat I'd be concerned that water kicked up at speed would be a problem. Our EB47 has enough spray that gets kicked up to make it necessary to leave the plug out of our Avon on a lifting platform. And this is with it being narrower than the 15' beam.

That and docking would be a concern. A dinghy's not designed to be a fender and getting it pinched while docking could be an expensive mistake.

At a certain point you can't 'have it all' unless you've got a bigger boat. You're at that point.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robvald View Post
Hi Al, what kind of lifting system do you have? is there a hinged mount on the platform?
Your set up looks compact.
You should come over and look at it. You're right next door!!

I have a Garhauer 150# rated lifting davit. It's got a 'hitch ball' mount and a stabilizing ring. The davit is removable and foldable and the hitch ball hand screws off its mount.

The dink port tube rests on the swimstep on its handles. Everything else is lines and a boat cushion between the transom and the dink tube. Very easy to lift with the 77# motor off the ~135# loaded dink.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #48
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here are the pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200608_173618.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	103619   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200608_173624.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	103620   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200608_173646.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	103621  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:50 PM   #49

City: Mercer Is.WA
Quest for the perfect dinghy

My wife and I had a Mainship 34 trawler that we used to explore the San Juans, the Sunshine Coast and up into Desolation Sound and points beyond. During our ownership we utilized two different davit systems and six different dinghies.
Early on in the sorting process we decided while inflatables were great for harbor cruising they were not well suited for the oyster crusted rocks of BC. Next we purchased a 9 foot Boston Whaler with a rotating motor mount. It had lovely handling and performance characteristics but the cockpit was shallow and uncomfortable sitting with you knees up around your ears. It had the feel of sitting on top of a surfboard rather than in a boat. Next dinghy was an 8 foot Livingston; it lost freeboard rapidly with loading, put up a rooster tail the soaked the operator with a following wind, the tunnel/hump running midline through the hull makes mobility in the boat difficult. Just for grins and hoping for different results we purchased a 10 foot Livingston and it had the same issues. Next in the trials was a a 7 foot Sportcat. It has the wide stable foot print of a cat but no tunnel so when loaded it has the displacement and dynamic lift of a mono hull.
With the Mainship having plenty of room for a ten footer we proceeded to purchase a ten foot Sportcat which we happily cruised for two or years until we found out that a few ten foot Sportcats had been built with 68 inch beam and 28 inch freeboard. Yes we bought yet another dinghy that I absolutely love -- it will carry five or six adults, crabs the Straits of Georgia, moves easily with a 15 hp motor (rated up to 25), stable and dry.
During the dinghy sorting process I put two additional braces on the Mainship swimstep to carry the larger dinghy with ease.
DryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #50

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisho View Post
I have a 34' Mainship Pilot Trawler. I believe the beam is 12'3". It has a small dive platform across the back. I am interested in any recommendation of which dinghy would work best for this boat. Any suggestions?
I would recommend a Walker Bay 10. They are practically indestructible and are probably the most economical dink on the Market. West Marine sells them or you can look at their website. You can also buy an inflatable collar for them which makes them as stable as an inflatable but much more durable.

I have a Walker Bay 8. I have installed pins on it's transom and hooks on the swim platform of my boat. I have a rope and pulley that I hook to my boom and to the painter of the dink. I can easily hoist it up so that it sits, hooked on my swim platform with the bow straight up and it only takes up the width of it's beam which leaves me the rest of the swim platform to use. It rests against my handrail and I bungie it down for travel. Even easier to launch. Only one person needed for both operations. Go to Defender.com and you can see the type of pins and hooks I'm talking about. If I could figure out how to post a picture I would show you.
Figured it out. This is my dink hooked up by the transom to my swim platform getting ready to be hoisted by the bow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0584.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	103648  
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #51
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryGuy View Post
During our ownership we utilized two different davit systems and six different dinghies.
Thanks for that write-up. We may be up to replace our Avon 10' inflatable RHIB after this season. We've got a lifting swim platform that has existing adjustable chocks. But it seems they're not making those SportCats anymore, correct? Anything currently made that steers clear of the shenanigans you had with those others?
Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #52
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinggod View Post
Thatís amazing,
I thought the ďPudgeĒ was a real rowboat but not to be.
The bottom is about as flat as it could be. Like a John boat.
And I really liked what I saw before .. but it was just in my mind.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #53
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I am not fond of my 8-foot rowing Trinka. My weak ability to balance is not compatible. For me, the worse $5000 boating "investment." Yours for on $1000 if you will take delivery at the Vallejo Municipal Marina.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #54

City: Mercer Is.WA
I had a 8 foot Walker Bay on a previous boat and I certainly concur that they deliver great value and performance per dollar. Pretty darn bullet proof
DryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
dinghy davits

Not to steal the thread, but think carefully about how you will carry the dinghy, as that will affect what dinghy you get. We have a 10' Avon with a 4 hp Yamaha 4-stroke. On our GB 36, we started with dinghy storage on the aft cabin roof, and launched it with the boom and block & tackle. It looked great, and was very "shippy". However, it took up valuable space, and the end result was we didn't use the dinghy much due to the work that really required two people and took too much time. We then had the Weaver clips installed and tilted the dinghy up against the transom sans motor, but that meant launching the dinghy, then installing the motor. I only dropped it into the water once. Also, as the dinghy loses air it starts to sag on your swim step. Unsightly. Then I researched until I found the Rothskelly davit system. It also mounts on the swim step, but actually lifts the dinghy out of the water with the motor attached. I just use a three-part block and tackle, and splash and retrieve the dinghy in about 15 seconds by myself. It's a vast improvement over Weaver clips, and very simple.

Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote