Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Just a minor point. If we obscure the name on the transom, we are supposed to, at least, put the boats name on the bottom of the RIB or dingy or perhaps the side, so your boat can be identified.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Check out the Whaly:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ghy-19349.html
Old 06-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I agree it is a very personal choice. We like to use the dinghy for a lot more than just getting to shore, but as a vehicle to explore the areas around us, wherever we are docked, anchored or moored. We have used tiller-equipped RIBS and inflatables alot on our various charters, and while fun while on vacation, it would get tiresome (for us at least) for more than that.

So our personal choice in the OP's case would be tow something, and we much prefer something with a console rather than tiller. Something like a console equipped Livingston, Sturdee Boat Amesbury Dory or a small Boston Whaler. But again, if you are not particularly adventurous, or mostly marina hopping, some of the other illustrated options might likely make more sense.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #24

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Yea it defiantly seems a like a very personal choice, and size and style of dingy seems to be be very dependent on what the owners intended use will be. I’ve done plenty of fishing and exploring in smaller thins and have always been left wanting greatly in capability when I have. I was thinking of towing a larger boat when I start messing around over in the Bahamas and Caribbean with my boat, but was planning on doing the great loop first and was thinking something I can put on my davit would be more practical for that, luckily I’m not really constrained much by weight for my choices since my davits are very heavily built and are quite high considering how low the freeboard is at the stern. Seems like my biggest constraint when choosing a dingy For the davits will be length and freeboard of the boat. Also once I do pick up a more capable skiff I plan on starting to go bow into the slips when I can so I can always put in my skiff and can go fishing and exploring without having to spin my boat around.
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Hobe Sound FL
Vessel Name: CORISANDE SHADOW
Vessel Model: PDQ 41
Has anyone tried an Frib? Foldable RIB, smallest size is about 9 ft, then 10.2.
Maldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Benicia, California
Vessel Name: Lucky Star
Vessel Model: Ho Hsing
Hi Al, what kind of lifting system do you have? is there a hinged mount on the platform?
Your set up looks compact.
Robvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Hyalina
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I too have a 34 mainship Pilot.

I have a 9' West Marine inflatable on a Weaver Davit system. I would prefer the Seawise system, but the weaver came with the boat and its fine.

I just replaced my 6 Hp outboard with a new Torqueedo. Much lighter and easier to get the dinghy up and down. Plus my wife doesn't have to worry about pull starting the OB when taking the dog to shore.

Perfect for two people and a dog, three would be just OK.

Snorkelling off it would be a challenge.
ewandeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Ozona
Vessel Name: Open Return
Vessel Model: Integrity 346ES
Dingy choice

Hi, my Integrity 346 ES has a 12’ integrated swim platform. I run a 10’ inflatable on custom favors and it works great!
Attached Thumbnails
5850FCFF-EC30-428D-9FFF-84DE7F41964F.jpg  
jgreene69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #29

City: Watkins Glen
Vessel Name: Just Us II
Vessel Model: Carver Santego 380
West Marine 310 w 15 HP Honda

We have a Carver 380 with a 14' beam. I just bought the 310 RIB from West Marine last season when they had a 30% off sale. I went with the aluminum with Hypalon.

The dingy is hoisted with kato davits. I designed the mounts for them using 3D modeling and a local fab shop made them for me. I looked at the tilting option, but then you are always looking at the bottom on the dingy when you are on the back deck. Sort of ruins cocktail hours.

The 15 HP is a bit difficult to haul out of the water. Investigating a winch.

We are at the south end of Seneca Lake and use it a lot. Generally just the wife and I. When you put in the battery, fuel tank and I got a swivel seat with a back, three would be a bit cramped.

This is our second one, so just plan to get a used starter dingy.
jflongwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:18 PM   #30

City: Port Richey
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30, Caribiana 23
Lots of oyster beds around Crystal River. Oysters will shred an inflatable.
Carl Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:23 PM   #31

City: Toledo, OH
9 foot on a ‘01 34 Pilot

This is a picture of my 9 foot dinghy on davits on the back of my ‘01 34 Pilot. Hope this helps. Also had to include pics of my dogs sleeping. Just because.
Attached Thumbnails
223DA120-A5FD-4971-87E1-AA2055F8657A.jpg   40460E9A-02C5-4674-ACAE-565E87E03507.jpg  
mcaudell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #32

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
A dinghy is a very personal choice. A 10 foot hypalon with a 3hp 2stroke works for me for going to shore, snorkelling and fishing. It might not suit others.
Personally, I don’t like inflatables because I like to row and I’m cheap. (I can fix anything on a hardshell dinghy and they can last forever.)

That being said, I respect the statement above and would recommend a similar set up. The fact you want to snorkel and board the dinghy in water really only leaves the hard bottom inflatable as a nice choice. And inflatables are stable and can carry good weight etc...

I am a minimal HP guy for dinghies. Especially if your gonna take the engine in and off all the time. A 3-4hp 2stroke is perfect. I run a 1980s evinrude 2 stroke and like the hell out of it. It’s like 35lbs and has forward neutral. Has an internal tank with auxiliary connection. You may not like putting along, but my back thanks me every day, lol.

In any case, any dinghy is good if it floats and does what you need it to. Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
D2B80848-E662-4DA5-B543-3BA489D7DC49.jpg  
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #33

City: Oakdale NY
Vessel Name: Into The Blue
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 43
I had a 2004 Pilot 34 and your right - the swim platform is narrow. We ended up with an inflatable with an inflatable floor. This way I could totally remove and stow it either in cockpit or rolled up right on the swim platform. The easiest part was inflation, which I did right on the transom.

Enjoy!
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Newport Beach
Vessel Name: Open Gate II
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 423 Classico
Using an electric winch might yield more options
rmatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #35

City: Seattle
Cruising in the PNW, we need a fast dinghy...dinghy is like your car especially up in the Islands.
You can't go wrong with Achilles hypolon, that's the brand we see the most up here.
3 people in a 10' sink with 10 HP will not get on plane, but all depends who's riding.
Ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #36

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
If you want a RIB On a smaller boat then I suggest opting for an aluminum hull to save substantial weight. 9.9hp 4-strokes weigh between 80lbs and 90lbs so not an easy move and mount for some folks. SeaWise are great but manual models list for over 6k. You don’t specify where you are located. In the PacNW Guyer Boatworks is one of the few dealers that trades in used RIBs and are great to deal with. Craig’s List is also a source. I’m dealing with the same issues as I consider downsizing To 33-35 feet and many times the boats don’t have dinghies.
MMSI 368040370
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #37

City: Victoria
Vessel Name: Reality Cheque
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Dinghy & Sea Wise Lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
A 10 foot RIB will handle roughly 1200 pounds, including motor. I don't know if you'll make it on a plane with 3 people and a 9.9 hp motor but I'm betting most of the time it will be you and one other and then the boat will definitely get on plane.

Sea Wise davits are pricey but you don't have to muscle a motor, a massive plus for me at age 72.

I have the manual Sea Wise but you can add an electric motor. I'm thinking I might be able to use a cordless electric drill.

I use a portable drill on the top of my Sea Wise and it works like a charm. Very fast to lift or lower. Highly recommend it.
jemcne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Redington Shores
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Trawler
Portland Pudgy

We love our pudgy. It’s fastened to boat via weaver davits on the the swim platform. At just over 7’ it’s out of the way of our transom door. The davits mount solidly to the dingy’s hard gunwale.
Only rated for 2hp, so it’s SLOW. It tracks well when rowing due to long keel, and the sailing kit is a blast. Has a netting ladder for climbing in from water, a battery and night nav light (even came with small solar panel), and comes with a night lit compass as it’s designed to double as a life raft when tethered to a drogue. The oars, bailing pump, etc, store in the hull via round access hatches. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but works for us.
daviddraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #39
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I use a portable drill on the top of my Sea Wise and it works like a charm. Very fast to lift or lower. Highly recommend it.

What drill did you use, not necessarily brand but what size? And did you modify the top of the pillar to use the drill? How did you set up the Seawise so you could use the drill?

I can't remember if I commented earlier so I'll add this in and hope I'm not repeating myself.

I bought an aluminum rib for a couple of reasons. 1) Easier to paddle, not like the inflatable bottom dinghies. 2) I bought a 9' 6'' Rib to fit on a transom 10 feet wide. 3) After considering all the options, electric and propane, I opted for the traditional 9.9 Merc. I wanted extra power with the dinghy to assist in a side tow of my boat, should my one and only gas engine decide to conk out on me. Electric may not give me the range and power I wanted over an extended distance. And propane isn't always easy to obtain here in the PNW and Inside Passage area. 4) I didn't want to have the bottom of a soft inflatable dinghy rib up by barnacles of which there are several billion on the West coast.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Just a minor point. If we obscure the name on the transom, we are supposed to, at least, put the boats name on the bottom of the RIB or dingy or perhaps the side, so your boat can be identified.
Interestingly enough, NO, nothing else is required, federally, even if totally obscured by your dingy. I'm assuming you are federally documented with the USCG (most states require numbers on both sides of the front half of the boat). This is an excerpt from BoatUS:

Placement & Additional Requirements
  • The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
  • Many recreational vessels will place the vessel name and hailing port on the stern, and vessel name on both sides of the bow, which is required for a commercial vessel. Although not required for a recreational vessel, this is an acceptable option.
  • When dinghy’s are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the vessel's name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only.
  • Stenciling on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking.
  • Federal Vessel Documentation is a federal issue and is not open to enforcement or interpretation by the state.
All this being said, it depends where you boat. I wouldn't go out anywhere where state or local water enforcement police prevail, without the name being clearly visible somewhere at all times - including putting the name on the bottom of a dingy when the transom name is obscured (if that's the only place the name is displayed) - even though you don't have to. Trying to explain the law to some local LEOs is like banging your head against a stump. It just pisses them off and gives them more time to write more tickets - not worth it in my opinion. Choose your battles.

Now, I must say, one of my favorite places I boat is in an area where the local water LEOs can be quite reasonable. I only received a verbal warning when I forgot to carry my throw cushion in my dingy, instead of everything being impounded. (My state requires registration of ANY boat with a motor, including dingies, treating them as any full size boat.)

Todd
Todd2 is offline   Reply With Quote