9ft Boston Whaler Squall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
So I know I have a thread about the Portland Pudgy as a tender. But I was wondering does anyone use the 9ft BW Sqaull as one? They are long out of production but I have seen some around for not much money. Ant personal experiences with the BWS would be welcome.

Some experience many years ago assuming you do mean the Squall and not a 9' regular Whaler.
A fun little boat and a good sailor for kids. They row very well and have good momentum through a chop due to their weight.
However, very heavy so not a good one to pull on / off beach. Narrow stern for an outboard. Round bottom favors good rowing / sailing not stability. Also, centerboard trunk somewhat in the way.
My main objection was that when towed it did not perform well and tried to come through the transom when you stopped because of it's weight and momentum.
As with most things, it depends on how you are going to use it.

My wife wanted a rowing/sailing dink. We sail with it a couple times but have a 4 HP out board on it ever since. When on Lake Union I did row it around the lake a lot but used the motor quite a bit two. My wife does not like it as its to rolly for her. She now much prefers the Livingston. We looked at the Boston Whaler but it was too heavy.

Dave, Nestaway is nice looking stuff and their 8' model looks very much like a squall too. I built an 8' nesting pram many years ago, after loosing my towed dinghy off Cuba, I thought a nesting dinghy that could come aboard my 28' sailboat was the answer. It was a nice little boat (albeit self designed) and would hold 3 180lb guys if they were good swimmers. But the cockpit of a 28' sailboat proved small to assemble it. It beat up the boat getting it over the side / launched too.
If I had the squall back, I'd cut out the liner & molded in seats, scrape out the foam, remove the centerboard & trunk, add seats hanging from bronze knees like a Dyer. Then I think it would be light enough to hoist aboard like my Walker Bay and be a great rower besides.

Attachments

• 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,453

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom