14 Panga

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PerryH

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Old Spice
Vessel Make
1982 Monk
Mike at Slayer Skiffs down in Perry FL is building us a 14' panga to be the tender for our newly acquired 40' Monk.

We're super excited about it. I'll post more pics as the process comes along. He's built a couple bench seats along the port and starboard sides. It's gonna be a pretty cool little boat.....

I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 161
Greetings,
Mr. PH. That looks pretty sweet. What the weight and size motor will she take? Great shot of the two young men...

RT,

Thank you! We're going to put a 30 horse Honda on it. A 20 would have pushed it along fine but I wanted the extra hp as we plan to use the boat a lot as a skiff/ adventure boat vs. simply a tender. I think the 30's weigh in at 150-160 pounds.

We've got 4 kids and a dog so I wanted to go on the larger side for length and motor size.

The builder beefed up the tow eyelet for me and added extra flotation below deck. It's going to make a pretty sweet adventure machine for us. I love the color too.

I need to get a cover made so we can keep as much water as possible out while it tags along the way.

Last edited:
Way nice! The color is perfect for the boat.

Way too much power ... and engine weight.
The Panga is a narrow boat and this one will only be a tad larger than a 14’ al john boat. They go w 5hp. I’d be thinking of a 9.8 - 15hp. A 15hp two stroke would be perfect weight and power.

Thanks Eric. To each his own my friend. I want a skiff that will run. Not something that can't get out of it's own way. We had a Catalina 22 with a 9.9 Honda on it. That was a great fit for the ol' sail boat. But we're gonna zoom not put on this one.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product, Given the lengthwise seating, I take it rails are planned? Tiller steering or console? Pangas are a great hull form. I also take it he is installing cleats and eyes designed to facilitate towing it behind the mothership? A big soft rub rail or string of fenders?

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Great looking boat. You and the boys are going to have so much fun and make so many memories in that.

Will be interested to read more on this in the future. Please do keep us appraised on the new Panga.

Cheers

Thanks Eric. To each his own my friend. I want a skiff that will run. Not something that can't get out of it's own way. We had a Catalina 22 with a 9.9 Honda on it. That was a great fit for the ol' sail boat. But we're gonna zoom not put on this one.

Perry,
Well if you want to go fast and support a heavy engine on the transom it’s a matter of stern width. I think that’s how ratings re OB power maximums are arrived at.
IMO a more typical wider stern boat would be more suitable for bigger engines and speed. But perhaps your “Panga” is not a typical 6-1+ (length to beam ratio) Panga. What’s it’s beam aft?
Confession ...
But I probably shouldn’t be talking as I’ve been known to run an 18’ freight canoe w a eight hp Yamaha at 12 to 14 knots. Rated for 3hp. Transom only about 12”
wide. At speed one needs to be very careful turning .. as in no quick movements. I consider this a stunt though.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 008 copy 2.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 008 copy 2.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
You will not be able to run but so fast with the boat. If its anywhere close to the bigger Pangas, the bottom is narrower than most skiff of similar size. So all you will be doing is adding weight, unless the 30 hp is the same engine, just tooled differently. I would place a power trim and tilt in the mix, which also will add weight from your manual assist trim features. on most engines.

But you can surely shift some weight to compensate for a smaller engine. one you are on plane, then its just a matter of how much beating and water over the sides that you are willing to deal with too. It is afterall a much smaller boat that also will shrink a bit more when you put it in the big pond. And you will only have so much freeboard when you load it up as you suggest.

Last edited:
Great boat my brother in law has the Panga LX 14 with a 25 on it runs great but at times could use a little more power ( maybe 5 horse more). I think what a lot of people do not understand is they handle so different then a standard hull. I would be very comfortable with your engine choice or even another 5.

Please share more pics as they come along

Seeing the pics of the Panga I`m immediately reminded of the boats used, usually by the locals,in the islands of places like Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. They seem to be the standard for transport,fishing, etc,appear seaworthy,with a good turn of speed. A good dinghy choice.

Seeing the pics of the Panga I`m immediately reminded of the boats used, usually by the locals,in the islands of places like Fiji, Vanuatu and New Caledonia. They seem to be the standard for transport,fishing, etc,appear seaworthy,with a good turn of speed. A good dinghy choice.

I agree.. We have had business and property in Panama for 22 years Bocas del Toro from 10-35 foot for many years they are all Panga design

A 40hp has been ideal for my 13' foot Whaler; I don't think a 30 on that Panga hull is over powered one bit, especially with a crowd on board.

Thanks for the input everybody. I’ll keep the pics and info coming as the project moves along.

RT, I don’t know the weight.
Eric, I don‘t know the beam aft.

I’ll find out and let you know.

Sorry for the delay everybody. We had a little bit of a slap in the face as we stepped into boat ownership. Been at the dock in Jax on the big boat for almost two weeks fixing odds and ends that broke right after we became the new owners. I know. I heard. Thats how it goes.

Here are some pics of the panga. We’re still in the break in phase of the new motor but I am very pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_0912.jpgIMG_0914.jpgIMG_0920.jpgIMG_0944.JPGIMG_0997.jpgIMG_1005.JPG

awesome. looks great!

what are your thoughts on that 40hp? enough power? too much?

Beautiful panga. The smiles on the kids faces is conformation it was a great idea.

A 40hp has been ideal for my 13' foot Whaler; I don't think a 30 on that Panga hull is over powered one bit, especially with a crowd on board.

George,
It mostly depends on the beam at the transom. That’s how outboards are rated for max power.
Besides it’s not a matter of how much power one can clamp on, it’s a matter of how much power provides good performance with “X” amount of weight. Life isn’t a contest to see who can apply the biggest engine to the smallest boat.

A friend of mine put a 20hp Honda on a light 14’ Lund. I was think’in a 30hp but the twenty worked very well for him. And his transom was almost certianly wider than the Panga shown.

Last edited:
The best endorsement for the Panga design, as far as I'm concerned, is that it seems to be what all the pirates use 100 miles off the coast of Somalia. I'm certainly not endorsing piracy...but if a small open boat works there...its a well designed boat.

awesome. looks great!

what are your thoughts on that 40hp? enough power? too much?

Its a 30. I wanted a 40 but the builder told me it would be too much weight on the little boat.

We’re still in the break in stage. I can hit WOT for a 30 second burst. We got 17 knots in that burst the other day against a 2 knot current and a breeze of a headwind. That was with my wife and 4 young kids aboard.

Looks really nice. Very practical.

Did they fill the side benches with foam or could you put some hatches on them and use them for storage?

Looks really nice. Very practical.

Did they fill the side benches with foam or could you put some hatches on them and use them for storage?

Thanks! Inside the benches is finished so I can cut holes for hatches. I just wanted to use it a bit to see where everybody is gonna ride best etc. before I go cutting holes in it.

I’m debating wether to cut them in the deck or the front of the benches. I keep going back and forth. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Inside the benches is finished so I can cut holes for hatches. I just wanted to use it a bit to see where everybody is gonna ride best etc. before I go cutting holes in it.

I’m debating wether to cut them in the deck or the front of the benches. I keep going back and forth. Any thoughts?

Both have draw backs. Hatches on top are hard to sit on. Hatches on the vertical part are harder to access. I’d be inclined to go with top hatches and maybe a cushion.

Better still might be to cut out a section of the top and down the side a little and hinge it.

why is width more critical than freeboard, draft, length or weight ?

Width has very much to do w stability. And bigger engines have more torque that can add to a wave (or something similar) that is trying to rotate (tip over) a boat.
Panga’s don’t require much power so why have enough power to exceed 20knots? 15hp would do that w a light load.
Big weight in the stern interfers w directional stabiblty.
With an open OB engine powerhead is probably above CG.
Mostly all freeboard does is raiseCG.

I would also like to know the weight. It would fit in my deck cradle but would my crane lift it?
I have always wanted a Panga. Used them often in foreign waters.

Don’t know the weight my friends.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom