Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Englewood
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
Photo of DeFever 34 prop??

Hi,
Can anyone post a photo (or email it to me) of a 34' single screw DeFever prop and rudder on a trawler that's hauled out? I'm considering buying one and I'd like to see how well the prop is protected.
Thanks, Sue
Sue Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Freeman View Post
Hi,
Can anyone post a photo (or email it to me) of a 34' single screw DeFever prop and rudder on a trawler that's hauled out? I'm considering buying one and I'd like to see how well the prop is protected.
Thanks, Sue
I havent seen a 34 but the 40 i like has a single and its pretty well protected with a large rudder.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #3

City: Aptos
Vessel Name: Honey
Vessel Model: 34' DeFever Passagemaker
I own a 34' DeFever, hull #6 and although I do not have a photo of "Honey" on the hard, I will tell you that the Prop is well protected and the rudder is unsupported as in no skag.
The first time I saw 34' DeFever out of the water I was impressed with the hull shape, which is a soft chime aft, moving to a deep bow forward.I idle at 2.8 kts. and cruise at 1650 RPM at 7.7 kts. She will roll in a quartering sea enough to make you appreciate a harder chimed boat but it is a long roll, not a snap roll.Fuel is at 1.5 GPH at 1650 rpm.
rogerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerl View Post
I own a 34' DeFever, hull #6 and although I do not have a photo of "Honey" on the hard, I will tell you that the Prop is well protected and the rudder is unsupported as in no skag.
The first time I saw 34' DeFever out of the water I was impressed with the hull shape, which is a soft chime aft, moving to a deep bow forward.I idle at 2.8 kts. and cruise at 1650 RPM at 7.7 kts. She will roll in a quartering sea enough to make you appreciate a harder chimed boat but it is a long roll, not a snap roll.Fuel is at 1.5 GPH at 1650 rpm.
sounds sweet do you know where she was made?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

What I understand is that Jensen Marine in Costa Mesa, Ca. built the 1974-1975 34' in their yard and I have only seen one that was called a 1975 model.Mine did come with the factory get home system, hydraulic off the Perkins 4-107 15KW Genny and a Dickson stern thruster, again hydraulic, after market piece.I did take both off as rebuild costs were 2/3 of a new thruster.The get home system works well but in my quest for a simple boat,it had a gaggle of hoses and 10 gallons of fluid that made me blink and had a take off system that took 15-20 minutes to attach or disconnect.If you've ever seen a hydraulic hose break, it is a thing to behold.
thanks for asking
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
What I understand is that Jensen Marine in Costa Mesa, Ca. built the 1974-1975 34' in their yard and I have only seen one that was called a 1975 model.Mine did come with the factory get home system, hydraulic off the Perkins 4-107 15KW Genny and a Dickson stern thruster, again hydraulic, after market piece.I did take both off as rebuild costs were 2/3 of a new thruster.The get home system works well but in my quest for a simple boat,it had a gaggle of hoses and 10 gallons of fluid that made me blink and had a take off system that took 15-20 minutes to attach or disconnect.If you've ever seen a hydraulic hose break, it is a thing to behold.
thanks for asking
oh yeah, we have talked before. I am going to look at asanta ana built deferer 40 tomorrow with the get home system but its electric not hydralic. Did you add a new stern thruster or bow thruster?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Probably like this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Rudder.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
oh yeah, we have talked before. I am going to look at asanta ana built deferer 40 tomorrow with the get home system but its electric not hydralic. Did you add a new stern thruster or bow thruster?

I have kept it old school for now.Santa Cruz harbor is easy docking and the boat has very good rudder power.That may change when we truck "Honey" up to the San Juan's this summer.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #9

Hey Walt,

Honey's wheel is set closer to the keel, almost no shaft exposed with a cone zinc capping the prop.Her rudder is what I call a barn door, as in larger than most single engine Trawlers.Also her chime is softer aft, more like a Krogen 44' if you seen one on the hard.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:

Honey's wheel is set closer to the keel, almost no shaft exposed with a cone zinc capping the prop.
I'd like to see that. I'm envious of you taking your boat to the San Juans as I have been contemplating that for years.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
I have kept it old school for now.Santa Cruz harbor is easy docking and the boat has very good rudder power.That may change when we truck "Honey" up to the San Juan's this summer.
why not sail her up there? I'm thinking if i buy a boat in so cal about saling to oregon, or haveing her trucked to the delta then sailed from there on up to Winchester Bay
Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

Good question, without sounding like a know it all, it penciled out to be an acceptable cost to truck it to the PNW, what with decommission and commission.Finding a crew capable enough to satisfy me is not on my screen.I am a retired Merchant Marine with too many heavy weather experiences.I am a tad superstitious, survived Viet Nam, 26 plus years as a blue water sailor and 28 years married to the same women.I have seen myself back down from some things that 10-20 years ago I would have jumped on.Kind a like the adage,"I get enough exercise pushing my luck".
Thanks for asking!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Good question, without sounding like a know it all, it penciled out to be an acceptable cost to truck it to the PNW, what with decommission and commission.Finding a crew capable enough to satisfy me is not on my screen.I am a retired Merchant Marine with too many heavy weather experiences.I am a tad superstitious, survived Viet Nam, 26 plus years as a blue water sailor and 28 years married to the same women.I have seen myself back down from some things that 10-20 years ago I would have jumped on.Kind a like the adage,"I get enough exercise pushing my luck".
Thanks for asking!
For you a trip like that would be like going back to work i would imagine?
you know, the ocean scares the beejeebies outa me but i love her all the same. I'm not sure i have the guts to do it either but i do know i am gonna give it a try and wait for a perfect weather window before makeing each leg. I'll stop in Humbolt bay for a while and visit my daughter. I am in no hurry i am retired from most 9-5's. I've talked to a guy that has taken his GB 32 all the way to mexico and back from the bellingham Washington area
anyway i think going the hard route is cheaper but less of an adventure.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
For you a trip like that would be like going back to work i would imagine?
you know, the ocean scares the beejeebies outa me but i love her all the same. I'm not sure i have the guts to do it either but i do know i am gonna give it a try and wait for a perfect weather window before makeing each leg. I'll stop in Humbolt bay for a while and visit my daughter. I am in no hurry i am retired from most 9-5's. I've talked to a guy that has taken his GB 32 all the way to mexico and back from the bellingham Washington area
anyway i think going the hard route is cheaper but less of an adventure.
....and that likeness of being back to sea is my problem.Growing up around boats was fun as a kid but the family men all were mariners and guess what I did?
I am teaching/learning to enjoy owning/using my boat but it has been hard to shake off the old me and just have a good time.The term "Prudent Mariner" is still part of my lexicon I guess.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
....and that likeness of being back to sea is my problem.Growing up around boats was fun as a kid but the family men all were mariners and guess what I did?
I am teaching/learning to enjoy owning/using my boat but it has been hard to shake off the old me and just have a good time.The term "Prudent Mariner" is still part of my lexicon I guess.
you live in Aptos right? and the delta is just around the corner. Lots of easy laid back boating in the delta. Have you considered spending a little time exploring the delta to get used to recreational boating. Maybe it would help you make the transition?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #16

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Here's the real deal - a DF34 prop

bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #17
Guru

the rudder looks kinda delicate?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #18

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Quote:
the rudder looks kinda delicate?
Not really. It's at least 1/4" thick with a reasonably sized shaft. I suspect it's stronger than fiberglass-encased designs. It's obviously not as well protected as a skeg hung rudder would be.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I wonder what trailing edge type on the keel has less drag.

The rear ends of cars are frequently cut off sharp and they say rounded rear ends like the cars of the 40s have more drag. Think I recall that that was proven on the race track. Air, however is a compressible fluid and may be different than water. The TE of OB props used to be tear drop shaped and now their cut-off blunt. With hulls themselves it depends on speed. When you reach planing speeds cut-off is best.

But there seems to be lots of keels terminated round and squared off like mine in the picture.

Opinions ?
Attached Thumbnails
STH71268 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Eric. I think you have your own answer unless I misinterpret your question. What has less drag? Your boat shape or one with a squared off transom?