Old 08-17-2018, 10:25 PM   #61
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
"The owner is now spending $12,000 to replace all of the hoses, belts and fuel filters."

I hope he is getting a lot more than that replaced for that amount of money. For a twin-engine boat using top of the line silicone hoses, Gates belts, and fuel filters, I could do that for under 200 bucks.

Speaking of belts, timing belts get old too. Recently had mine replaced on my kinda new-to-me 315 HP Yanmar which is 13 years old. Now that cost me 400 bucks to have a mechanic come to my home and do it in front of me.

Amen to lots of fuel filters for the delivery trip.

Towing insurance too.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:36 PM   #62

City: Ft pierce
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
I had a 41’ Defever and went thousands of miles, east coast, Bahamas, Fl Keys etc. It was a fair weather offshore boat and if you were in any quartering or beam sea you better not be prone to sea sickness. Luckily I wasn’t but my wife would raise hell when caught fish offshore! I did several overnight passages but it wasn’t a great sea boat at least when it came to the ride.
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #63

City: Ft pierce
Vessel Name: Resolute
Vessel Model: 2000 47' Selene
Some form of stabilization would have helped a lot.
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #64

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Adrift at Last
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Let’s start by saying we just did that trip last week in reverse. We had a great weather window and ran offshore by 30 miles overnight. By midnight the seas were 6-10’ from the west. On the beam, as the seas built with stabilizers, bulbous now, and full 5’10” keel. By 2 am we were closing the gap between us and the landmass north of Brunswick. 5:30 am brought the relief we needed. This is my 4th offshore trip which turned into a mess. My suggethis time of year, “take the time to get it where you want inside unless you’re able to duck in, which means you won’t have enough time to be inside each night. If you want help from someone who has done it with his Selene, let me know. Your cost is a tax free contribution to a charity of your choice.
jsbraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #65
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Lots of good choices.

I'm not an off shore guy in ANY boat, and running close to the coast would only add 80 miles, perhaps 8 hours. Nothing in the big scheme of things and an option to duck in a lot quicker than being 200 miles out.

Question for you ocean going nuts....

Where is a site that you can get current info on the gulf stream, position and how fast it's moving?

There could be an argument to get into that stream if it dramatically increased the speed if one was so incline to do.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #66
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S. Windy (https://www.windy.com/-Show-add-more....651,-81.475,5) has a sidebar that shows currents.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:09 PM   #67
Guru

City: Miami
The problem with those predictions is that the stream moves and there are counter currents along the edges. We usually run north as far as it goes which averages out to about 2.75 knot lift on our speed for the whole run north. 100 hours plus or minus 10% for the 1000 nautical miles from Miami. Fuel savings are pretty good too.