Defever passagemaker 34ft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepsea

I've been searching for the perfect liveaboard in the mid 30ft range and this looks like it for me. But I don't see much info on this trawler. Any experience with it or what kind of price range to expect from this boat from the 70's? I was hung up on the Californian 34 for a while for its deck space and is us made but I would prefer a single screw.

I've been searching for the perfect liveaboard in the mid 30ft range and this looks like it for me. But I don't see much info on this trawler. Any experience with it or what kind of price range to expect from this boat from the 70's? I was hung up on the Californian 34 for a while for its deck space and is us made but I would prefer a single screw.

There was a 34 Defever for sale in Deale, western shore of Chesapeake Bay listed on Yacht World with a single rebuilt Perkins 6.354 by Transalantic Diesel of Va . I haven't seen many 34s ,worth a look.

There was a 34 Defever for sale in Deale, western shore of Chesapeake Bay listed on Yacht World with a single rebuilt Perkins 6.354 by Transalantic Diesel of Va . I haven't seen many 34s ,worth a look.

Yeah I've only seen one. And it's in Canada. I see you got a mainship 34! That's another one I've been looking into. Seems like a similar layout with a single. Do you know if they make a galley up version? Or the differences in the mk 1, 2 and 3?

No galley up option on early model Mainship 34"s. I believe the MK1 have the largest cockpit of the MK11 and MK 111"s. Some later MK111 models did not have a bulkhead between galley and salon. There are fellows on TF that are more knowledgeable about the different models, hope they chime in.

I believe Defever 34s were US-made, as well, for at least part of their run.

Defever Cruisers, the association of owners, used to have a few members with 34s. You could inquire there.

If you can tolerate a few more feet, the Defever 40 and 41 are more popular models and most were single-engine Lehman 120s. The “Downeast” 40s, starting in the mid-70s, we’re all US-built.

Most of the Defever models over the years are here: https://www.defevercruisers.com/defever_designs.asp

Good luck with your search

Attachments

• 3DE25E35-B235-4553-A087-12BD23CD04F1.jpeg
    3DE25E35-B235-4553-A087-12BD23CD04F1.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,262
We have one, purchased last year. What would like to know?

Attachments

• 1506900575831.jpg
    1506900575831.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,153
I used to work with Richard in the 60s. He bought my 31 uniflite in the early 70s. I have been boatless for years and have decided to get back in and am starting to look.

I used to work with Richard in the 60s. He bought my 31 uniflite in the early 70s. I have been boatless for years and have decided to get back in and am starting to look.

Don't remember meeting Richard when I lived in Juneau. I worked for Pete Bernstein Alaska Ship Chandler s 1985.
We are heading to Sitka in a few days, arriving late June. Come over, and we'll give you a tour of Helen Marie.

Yes I knew Pete when he had the store. Used to trade there. If you get to Juneau, give a call. Tom Mungle

Dave, you and I both have a AT34. You like it?

Of course depending on condition a mid 70s trawler in the 34 foot range should be listed for about $35,000 and should sell for high 20s. At least in the midwest, Florida slightly less, East Coast maybe a little more. PNW, no idea.

Here is a little coincidence I would like to hear some comments on.. When I bought my boat (average condition) about 8 years ago the price was almost exactly a dollar a pound. Cheaper than hamburger, so I bought it!

pete

Dave, you and I both have a AT34. You like it?

Hi Dan, yes they seem to be nice boats. In the year that we have been owners (we are number three) we have traveled to Alaska, and back. 180+ nights aboard, 600 engine hours. We find Tomco very supportive of all of the owners new. or used.
There is an active owners group in our area.
We are headed to Bellingham to visit another 34 this afternoon.

Good day,

Looking for some insight on the hull speed of the 34 passagemaker,
What is its max hull speed?
I'm looking to purchase one and do a full refit incl. Repower, however, I am in a rut, 9/10 knots works for me cruise speed, 7/8 doesn't and I'm wondering if the old girl could achieve those numbers

Good day,

Looking for some insight on the hull speed of the 34 passagemaker,
What is its max hull speed?
I'm looking to purchase one and do a full refit incl. Repower, however, I am in a rut, 9/10 knots works for me cruise speed, 7/8 doesn't and I'm wondering if the old girl could achieve those numbers

I repowered with a John Deere 4045TFM75, so no lack of power. The boat can do 9 knots at 60% load and 4.4 GPH. At that speed the bow rides very high as the stern squats. You can see why from the shape of the bottom. At WOT, speed only increases to 9.7 and fuel burn almost doubles.

It's a 7/8 knot boat. At 7 knots I burn about 1.5 GPH.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom