Old 08-17-2020, 08:26 AM   #1

City: Sydney
Vessel Model: Integrity 4400
DeFever 570LR

Hi There, I am new to the DeFever brand and new to this forum. There are not so many DeFever boats in Australia. I have a 2016 45 foot trawler at the moment. We love it to bits but with just two cabins we are looking to move into something a bit bigger. A 10 year old Selene 54 or Nordhavn 55 would fit our budget. However, a 2018 Defever 570LR is on the market for around the same $. Made by POCTA in China. Do any of you know this model? History? Number made? Reputation? Hull construction? Anything really. The brokers know less than me about the model and I know nothing. It has a Fleming 55 look about it, I am sure it will age a lot better than me over the next 10 years. Just one engine, one genset, hydraulic windlass, thrusters and stablizers, all very simple just like me. The only issue is that the Admiral (wife) likes to have her guests on an island bed up front, I say the more comfortable they are the longer they stay, the V berths are a good selling point to me. Really appreciate any help.
Kookaburra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I just went over to the DF owners site and had a look at the list of models. This is the only 57 on there. If not this, then it may be a custom build, which DeFever and POCTA did many.

DeFever 57 POC

"This is the cockpit version of the 53 POC (Performance Offshore Cruiser). Its flush-deck design yields enormous interior volume with the owner's stateroom aft of the engine room. Guest cabins are forward of the engine room. A great layout for cruising."
Attached Images

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
KB
The DF 570LR is not a flush deck model. The look similar to a Grand Alaskan. Yacht world has two listed. They look like a great vessel. The sleeping arrangements in many Nordhavn 55s are pretty crummy forward, thus I'd favor the DF in this respect.

But a Nordhavn 55 they are not. Big difference in design and systems. The pilot house on the N is a beauty. A tour of both should tell the tale. I'd guess the N to be about 10 years older. With the N's redundant systems and Overall design different than a DF's, they cannot be easily compared. Provided the N has had good maintenance it should be a better blue water vessel. Deferred maintenance on the N could easily amount to $100K to play catchup though so beware.

The Nordhavn has a much better ER than the pictures I've seen for the DF. Interesting choice. The Wesmar get home on the DF is a good setup, if so equipped. Is the DF you're looking at stabilized?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:49 AM   #4

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
KB, Assuming you are looking at the boat at Bobbin Head in Sydney, that boat has been for sale for a looooong time. It is old enough now that it is well and truly in the 'used' category not a 'new' category, although the current published asking price isnt much below its original new price when it was first offered.

I went on it at the Sanctuary Cove boat show in 2018 or 2019 when it was on display there. Finish was rough in places, but the new price was "only" AU$1.8m which is significantly less than the new price of other brands you mention.

At the right price, and with some attention from a good shipwright in the rough areas, it could be a nice river / coastal boat.

It is not a Nordhavn or Selene however, in terms of either blue water competency or finish.

Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Phuket
Vessel Name: TeoraTera
Vessel Model: Selene 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kookaburra View Post
Hi There, I am new to the DeFever brand and new to this forum. There are not so many DeFever boats in Australia. I have a 2016 45 foot trawler at the moment. We love it to bits but with just two cabins we are looking to move into something a bit bigger. A 10 year old Selene 54 or Nordhavn 55 would fit our budget. However, a 2018 Defever 570LR is on the market for around the same $. Made by POCTA in China. Do any of you know this model? History? Number made? Reputation? Hull construction? Anything really. The brokers know less than me about the model and I know nothing. It has a Fleming 55 look about it, I am sure it will age a lot better than me over the next 10 years. Just one engine, one genset, hydraulic windlass, thrusters and stablizers, all very simple just like me. The only issue is that the Admiral (wife) likes to have her guests on an island bed up front, I say the more comfortable they are the longer they stay, the V berths are a good selling point to me. Really appreciate any help.
A well maintained older Selene or Nordhavn would be a no brainer choice for me...
CaptainSEA is offline   Reply With Quote