DeFever 41

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JD750lgp

Vessel Name
Dirty Paws
Vessel Make
Mainship 31 sedan bridge
Hi guys. I’m looking at a 1984 DeFever 41 with twin Perkins 4.236 engines. Seems in good shape on first look. Just wondering about Pros and cons for doing The Loop and Bahamas crossing or Dry Tortugas? Thanks in advance

It's more common to see a trawler-style yacht of that size and marque powered by one or two six-cylinder diesels. But, those 4-236s are a very solid and economical option, and should push that boat around without difficulty, while being easy to maintain.

Assuming she's well maintained and equipped, the boat you describe will carry you safely and comfortably everywhere you are planning to travel.

Art Defever was one heck of a yacht designer. That boat should work fine for the loop, BUT it depends on the individual boat. If it is in good condition then go for it if you like the layout, etc. good lcuk and get a good surveyor!

Check the air draft on that boat as the custom hard top may place it over the 19 foot limit for the loop if it is the one listed in NC.

Last edited:
It’s the one for sale in Sheboygan Wisconsin on Boat Trader.

>>>The Loop and Bahamas crossing or Dry Tortugas?
Should have plenty of fuel range. There are Defever 41 owners on this forum that can speak to crossing.

All things being equal, I'd consider the 4.236 vs larger 6 cylinder a huge plus. In my opinion, the 4.236 is the best engine Perkins made. Parts are reasonable, reliable, and long lived. My single 4.236 pushes my displacement hull along at 6.7 kts at 1700 rpm and burns around 1.2 gph. A pair in your boat should run around 2. 5 gph combined and run 7 kts.

I'm not a twin guy, but if I was, twin 4.236s would get my attention.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom