Old 06-02-2022, 09:31 AM   #1
Guru

City: West coast
Recommended Nordhavn over 55 to 70

Hey…

I’m used to a high quality coastal cruiser (twin, low decks etc) which I love but as I move slightly bigger I’m thinking of other alternatives now (my friend decided to keep the larger model of mine which I was supposed to buy).

Nordhavn’s started intriguing me seeing so many in British Columbia/Alaska, my current cruising ground.

What’s your preferred model in the 55’ to 70’ range?
Criteria/issues:

1. I don’t want it too old, so relatively new or new enough that age doesn’t matter. I can update electronics.
2. Able to be handled by a couple or indeed single handed except perhaps around docking which I don’t do that frequently.
3. Less vertical is better though I have no issues with mobility
4. Tender launching ease. I don’t love the idea of launching off the bow.
5. More open layout. The feel of the salon is important more elegant is better. Windows/visibility are important.
6. Good outdoor space for relaxing/eating.
7. Able to place a small hot tub! (Have used a relatively shallow bath tub style set into a lazerette on the aft deck in a hatteras and it was magical)
8. The more quiet the better.
9. Height. Hmmm. My boat house door is 25’ foot clearance, but over that the antennas etc would need to fold or i keep it outside
10. Draft. Don’t care as much but I’m currently 5’. Hate for draft to limit me too much.

Uses: currently between Broughtons and Alaska, but I’m tempted to head to the east coast.

I need to tour more of these.

I’ve watched videos and the 64 and 68 which looked nice. Salon does feel more constrained on these.

Any guidance?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Height and draft will both be potential concerns with anything large in the Nordhavn family. Especially height. Most of them are pretty darn tall, particularly with a dry stack. On the East Coast, both of those are even more likely to become limiting.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
The N57 is quite a bit older than you're looking for, but because the flybridge was tucked aft of the pilothouse roof, the N57 is probably the lowest air-draft model PAE built in their portfolio, though anything with a dry-stack is going to be challenged. Misses most other tick-boxes on your list.

Will be interested to see where you land. Ken Williams - another 'serial Nordhavn' owner went to a GB60 when he decided his cruising would become more coastal than transoceanic. Boat is Loop-ready, and he designed a hot-tub in.

Peter
Old 06-02-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
There is a huge difference in the interior openness between an aft pilot house 68, and a forward pilot house 64 or 68. Same with respect to outside living space. The 68 is also a much better sea keeping boat vs 55/60. Not sure how it compares to a 63 which is an aft pilot house 60 (same hull for both boats, but different top sides and interior layout)

With an aft pilot house you need to launch the dinghy off the forward deck, but you will adapt. Everyone does. I suspect all will flunk your 25 height goal.

The 68 is also much quieter and much better equipped. Not that the 55/69/63 are any slouch - far from it - but the 68 is another distinct step up. We are VERY pleased with the 68.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: West coast
Thanks twistedtree.

I’ll focus on the 68 then, and try to find one to look at in the PNW. I saw a video of one for sale a year or two ago and it did look impressive. As you stare, it will have to stay outdoors! I may well just stay with a bigger coastal cruiser, but at the same time I should definitely consider other brands.

Since you are happy with yours, you’d still make that same decision?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Thanks twistedtree.

Ill focus on the 68 then, and try to find one to look at in the PNW. I saw a video of one for sale a year or two ago and it did look impressive. As you stare, it will have to stay outdoors! I may well just stay with a bigger coastal cruiser, but at the same time I should definitely consider other brands.

Since you are happy with yours, youd still make that same decision?

Yes, Id make the same decision again. There are times when the extra speed of a Fleming would be nice, but its rare. And for me the extra space and range of the N greatly outweighs it. Even if you dont ever cross an ocean, its an exceptionally comfortable way to travel and be off-grid for extended time. In the past 2 months we spent 2 nights in Pt McNeill, 2-3 nights in Ketchikan, and just left Cordova after one night. Otherwise we have been totally off-grid, so to speak.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:10 AM   #7

City: Seattle
As others said, I doubt you'll get anywhere close to 25' air draft. We're a wet exhaust 62 and our air draft is still 30'.
bkcorwin is offline   Reply With Quote