Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Guru

Nordhavn #3 - A Reality

After a very long and unusual search for our next boat we finally own Nordhavn #3. The deal closed today and we pick up the boat tomorrow. I hope our progress reports provided some insight into the process of purchasing a used boat regardless of the make, model but in this size range.

Our story on how we ended up with N3522 will be posted on the Nordhavn Dreamers web-site over the weekend in case anyone is interested in reading the full story. The short version on how we decided on the smaller N35 is that after a false starts with larger boats we decided we needed to test the waters before committing to a larger boat. Health issues forced us to sell N4061 a few years ago and we have missed being on the water.

Why did go back to Nordhavn when we could have purchased a much less expensive boat, I guess after you become accustomed to a certain boat builder which offers everything you are looking for it is very hard to make the switch. We were very fortunate that Nordhavn offered a boat that fits our needs for today and we found a true diamond in the rough right in our backyard - San Diego. Thanks to everyone for their comments and input. We plan to continue our posts as we get the boat ready for our cruising.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Good luck and thanks for the posts!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #3

City: Fairbanks, Alaska
Vessel Name: Golden Nugget
Vessel Model: Sea Sport 2700 Adventurer
Good for you guys! I have been following you ups and down on the dreamers site for years. Good luck!
evansjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Sincere congrats on your purchase. It's time to get out there!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Interesting choice John, congratulations on the closing. Good luck on the trip home tomorrow.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Aha, finally…the denouement. Congrats on an interesting acquisition. Pics when able please. The model is not so common, and so pics inside and out are not often seen.. The layout is very different to the midrange vessels, and more like a scaled down version of the N62, (I think).
Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Woodside,Ca
Vessel Name: Roam'n
Vessel Model: Westcoast 46
Link to the N35, We owned one for 7 years in the Northwest.
Rick
Rickized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Woodside,Ca
Vessel Name: Roam'n
Vessel Model: Westcoast 46
Oop' here's the link.
Nordhavn 35
Rickized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: somewhere
Congratulations.

Pics please!!
Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
We have bought a number of boats, the biggest being a 41' sailboat. Never has the paperwork taken more than a week. I'm thinking the purpose of the posting was to impress us with the fact that he bought not one, not two, but three Nordhavns. I for one am impressed and insanely jealous.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

City: St Louis
Congrats! I'm sure your choice will generate a whole slew of questions about a model that is fairly rare. Look forward to hearing all of your insights on your new boat!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Guru

N3 - Finally Home

I think it was Jimmy Buffett who said "take the weather with you". Well as luck would have it that is exactly what we had to do yesterday. The weather in San Diego this past month was typical with mild Santa Ana winds blowing out to sea providing dry warm temperatures averaging in the upper 70's / low 80's. Thursdays temperatures were in the mid 80's (very warm for SD) with little wind, clear sky's and picture perfect day for everyone. Little did I know how quickly the weather was about to change.

I took Friday off as vacation day but still woke up at my normal 0415hrs for my 100 mile commute to San Diego. While traffic was the same the drive did feel a little different with anticipation of the day ahead. About half way to SD the sky started to lighten up just enough that I could see thick broken clouds. I knew I would be arriving the marina about 90 minutes before Jeff (I like to beat traffic) so I decided to go to the Holiday Inn restaurant for some coffee. By the time I reached Harbor Island there was enough day light that I could see a serious (OK, serious for SD) cold front was moving through. When I stepped out the car a gust of wind took my baseball cap of my head and across the parking lot. All I could think was "typical John's luck with boats". When we bought N4050 (for us it was our first big boat) Mary and I had to turn around during out first trip to Ensenada, Mexico when the sea's kicked up above my comfort level. Then we spent the worst winter in years in Mexico. Every time we drove south to take the boat out it was rough (4'-6' sea's). The run back to SD six months later was just as rough, ten hours of taking 4' - 6-' steep short waves on the nose. The weather wasn't much better when took delivery of N4061. Mary swears I'm cursed.

After chasing down my cap I walked inside the warm restaurant and had a nice hot cup of coffee. Instead of working on boating stuff I ended up actually "working" using the Blackberry. Amazing how life has changed over the years and technology keeps you tied to the office more than ever.

After about an hour of working I headed over the marina. It was a little before 0800hrs and I found the marina office open. I stopped in and explained to the young lady at the front desk what was going to occur. Fortunately this is well organized marina and she had my new file ready to go. Within a couple of minutes I had gate keys and parking stickers. I then headed out to meet Jeff and we were off to Coronado (about a 15 minute drive over the bridge). We stopped for a quick breakfast then over to the Coronado yacht club where we met the current owner - Don.

Don is the second owner of N3522, he bought the boat after the original owners put her up for sale within one year of building her. Don was very meticulous with the boat (like us) and kept her in near perfect condition. She is a true 9 out of 10. All the items noted in the survey were mechanical in nature and were not really noticeable to the average person. Thus the need for a quality inspector. Don shared his maintenance log which had everything ever done to the boat noted in detail including date, description and cost. Exactly what we did with our previous boats and a true sign of pride of ownership. Did I mention the Yanmar has only 631 hours on her and this is a 2004 boat. Just the right amount of usage to keeps things lubricated.

After a 90 minute walk through and explanation of most everything on board including a ton of spare parts, Jeff and I casted off. The wind was blowing a stiff 20 knots and the boat was docked in a tight corner so I let Jeff get us to open water. We ran the at about 1700RPM which gave us about 7.25knots. This is really the economical speed for this heavy semi-displacement boat. We can get up to 9 - 10 knots at 2,700RPM and a little more at 3,100RPM but we do not plan to push the boat. 7-8 knots is good for us. Believe me I struggled with the slower speed decision over the past two years. We were tired of 6 knots and wanted to cruise around 12 knots but the more I look into our options I found the trade-offs were too great and thus we came back to a heavy Nordhavn. We are just glade that PAE built 24 of these boats and we were lucky enough to find one. I will write more about these "gems" in the future.

The ride across the bay was uneventful but docking with the winds swirling was a challenge so I let Jeff dock us which he did with ease. I know I could have done it but was little nervous with the longer bow and small slip. I will need to learn how to judge this boat in tight situations. After we were tied up I spent time going over items and performing the written shut-down procedure for leaving the boat. Again, I was fortunate with this purchase in that all the original documentation including the PAE provided Owners Manual (two sets) were on the boat. Pristine condition and very helpful. I took one home to study until Mary and I can return to the boat. She still has not been inside the boat.

As luck would have it the guy who use to clean our boats is still in business and when I called him yesterday he remembered "Maria Elena" our previous N40's. He will check out the boat on Monday and provide me a few quotes. Even though the boat doesn't need it I plan to have a fresh coat of wax put on for the winter and polish all the stainless. Mary and I will take on the inside of the boat.

A few observations comparing taking delivery of a used Nordhavn versus a new boat include:
1. level of excitement (even with a smaller boat) about the same
2. level of stress possibly higher with the used boat since there are hidden unknowns and no warranty
3. Amount of paperwork higher with used boat
4. Overall research and purchasing experience is much more enjoyable and easier with a new boat (but you pay more)
5. Level of service - we are fortunate that we have Jeff Merrill of PAE as or sales representative / broker and friend. His level of service and guidance through the process is second to none. Without Jeff this deal would not have gone through and he knows from past experience that his phone will be ringing often with us on the other end asking ton's of question. I don't know of another sales person that supports his clients as well as Jeff. This is one reason so many people ask for him when they are looking for a Nordhavn. He travels the world helping buyers find their boat and has even sold a few "non" Nordhavn's. If anyone is seriously considering the purchase of a Nordhavn or other high end trawler I would strongly recommend Jeff. His reputation within the Nordhavn owners and dreamers community is speaks for itself. I hope this summary was enjoyable and to some degree informative.

John T.

That's a quick update. More to follow as we began the projects. One more thing, its raining this morning!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #13

City: Maine
Congratulations John.
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #14
Guru

N35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickized View Post
Oop' here's the link.
Nordhavn 35
Hello I would be interested in knowing more about your N35. Do you still own it? Feel free to contact me at N4061@yahoo.com thanks
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Congrats on finding and being able to purchase a boat you've wanted for a long time.

May you enjoy many wonderful days and nights on board her.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
Guru

Nordhavn #3 - First Day Aboard

Today was a big day for us with Mary making the drive to SD and getting aboard the boat for the first time. I will be honest and admit I was nervous about her reaction to a smaller boat but everything worked out fine. She was very pleased with the layout and overall excellent condition. She understands that every boat has trade-offs and agrees we will focus on the positives. Speaking of positives a few items we really like is the larger covered aft deck. We even made time to put out two chairs, sit back and enjoy the view of downtown SD. The owners bedroom on this boat is larger then our N40 and perfectly arranged. The bathroom is smaller but manageable. The galley is also a little smaller but very functionable as is the salon. Having dual side decks leading forward is a nice change and something we can appreciate. Overall this is a great little boat that we feel very safe taking anywhere along the coast. We both can see and appreciate the level of detail and overbuilt toughness of the boat. The N35 was built at the original PAE yard in Taiwan alongside the famous N46 and N62. Jeff Merrill was the project manager on the N35 and used many pieces of equipment off the N62. Items like fuel tank site gauges, extra large stainless steel chaffing guards, heat and A/C controls, oversize Lewmar hatches, the list goes on. This is one high end little boat. More to follow over the next few weeks. If all goes well we hope to meet with the interior decorator tomorrow to discuss redoing the interior to Mary's liking. The dream and passion lives on.................

John T.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #17

City: St Louis
Be sure to get before and after pics of the interior!

Congrats again, look forward to hearing more about your new boat.
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Guru

Nordhavn #3 - Post Purchase Projects

Well the fun has started. Today I met with the original owners mechanic to go over the heat exchanger clean out project. It appears that a previous attempt to clean out the system using a flush was not successful so a complete removal and proper cleaning is required. This was caught during the inspection by viewing a cooling hose expanding during operation indicating a blockage somewhere. The cooling pump impeller was replaced a few months ago so I know that is new and no need to change out at this time. We will do it right and replace relatively new the anti-freeze when complete so I know I'm starting with a clean system. Also going to replace the oil and filter. Fuel filters are also new so I will monitor them before replacing. All other hoses and belts are in new condition.

Once the cooling system is done we will use the boat for awhile and determine the next mechanical project. One nice thing about buying a used boat with a detailed maintenance log book is that you have a good idea where you are starting from. Not as good as a new boat but it gets you close.

My previous boat cleaner stopped by the boat and gave me a call with pricing for wash ($50) and wax ($900). We will start weekly washes next week and discuss the wax porject.

We have a large Washer/Dryer cabinet above the engine room door that is a real head banger that we are thinking about removing. A carpenter is scheduled to visit next week to discuss.

Saturday is the planned meeting date with the interior decorator which appears is going to cost more then I planned. We are going to replace all the cushions, carpet, window coverings and I'm sure a few more soft items.

One item I saved on was the one piece outside window covering that is a white mess. When we purchased the boat it was more brown then white. I took it home and scrubbed it with detergent and Ajax. It is now all white and looks like new.

Still looking at Satcom systems and will advise which system we select. I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of today.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #19
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
John T
What a nice way to get back in and with your builder of choice.
I have been following your progress on the dreamers site .
Hope it all comes together nicely and I reckon you have a good strong coastal cruiser on your hands. As you have stated now for No 4 , what's it going to be?
Cheers and congratulations
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
Guru

N4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
John T
What a nice way to get back in and with your builder of choice.
I have been following your progress on the dreamers site .
Hope it all comes together nicely and I reckon you have a good strong coastal cruiser on your hands. As you have stated now for No 4 , what's it going to be?
Cheers and congratulations
Benn
Benn, if things work out with N3 we may consider a N47. We made an offer on one earlier in the year but the offer was not accepted. I do not fell comfortable handling anything larger then a N47. This being said we love the N40 and believe it is the perfect couples trawler.