Nordhavn #3 - A Reality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pictures

I'm thinking of calling BS on this. No pictures, nothing.

No BS here. Just ask anyone on the Nordhavn Dreamers or Nordhavn Owners site or read our small book "Life is a Journey Why Not Live It Aboard a Trawler". Pictures will be posted (before / after) once all the work is completed.

Hard to understand why anyone would think $10K is unrealistic for everything we are doing. I'll admit that San Diego is not the least expensive place to own a boat. Hang in there.

No BS here. Just ask anyone on the Nordhavn Dreamers or Nordhavn Owners site or read our small book "Life is a Journey Why Not Live It Aboard a Trawler". Pictures will be posted (before / after) once all the work is completed. Hard to understand why anyone would think $10K is unrealistic for everything we are doing. I'll admit that San Diego is not the least expensive place to own a boat. Hang in there.
I guess I could see that! we poured 60K in our camano. But that was everything.

I'm thinking of calling BS on this. No pictures, nothing.

This strikes me as somewhat arrogant. Are you now the self appointed arbiter of what is 'true' on trawlerforum that John has to prove himself to? :rolleyes: Do we now all have to post pictures in support of any post made? :banghead:

Well the fun continues with updating La Tempestad to our standards. We received the quote today for all new leather seating, window coverings and carpets. Price tag around $10K for a small 35'. I don't even want to look at receipts for our two N40's.

Next step will be to have the top side buffed out. The hull shines like new but the top side can use a light buffing to bring it back to new condition.

Also need to find a diver to keep the hull bottom cleaned.

Hopefully we can move the boat this weekend to a new slip (same marina) and find someone to paint the new name on the transom.

A new boat purchase does keep you busy. I'm glade I'm off for two weeks at Christmas to enjoy the boat.

I am really looking forward to seeing La Tempestad. Jill and I may be down in San Diego over the winter break perhaps we could look you up?

Bob and Jill

This strikes me as somewhat arrogant. Are you now the self appointed arbiter of what is 'true' on trawlerforum that John has to prove himself to? :rolleyes: Do we now all have to post pictures in support of any post made? :banghead:

Lol. Welcome to the interwebs.

FWIW, here's a picture of his book.

51uA0XC%2BNVL._SX258_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I close with a quote from the Internet Rule Book which I believe addresses this situation perfectly:

11. All your carefully picked arguments can easily be ignored.

11.1. Anything you say, no matter how truthful or carefully picked, WILL be deemed wrong if the majority is against you.

12. Anything you say can and will be used against you.

13. Anything you say can be turned into something else. - fixed

14. Do not argue with trolls — it means that they win.

15. The harder you try, the harder you will fail.

16. If you fail in epic proportions, it may just become a winning failure.

17. Every win fails eventually.

18. Everything that can be labeled, can be hated.

19. The more you hate it, the stronger it gets.

20. Nothing is to be taken seriously.

20.2. Because nothing is a serious matter. Everything else isn't. No exceptions.

EDIT: I am mistaken. I completely overlooked rule #32. Never even knew it existed!

32. You must have pictures to prove your statements.

Last edited:
San Diego Visit

I am really looking forward to seeing La Tempestad. Jill and I may be down in San Diego over the winter break perhaps we could look you up?

Bob and Jill

Bob, please let us know in advance if you ever visit SD. We would enjoy showing you boat. Its a small Nordhavn but carries the same quality as our boats.

Pictures of N3

Wow, I do find the demand to see pictures a little strong. I'm not sure how to upload them but will search this site for directions again. I think if you look at our small info page you will see Mary and I in front of N2. Once I figure out how to upload photo's I will include a picture N1, N2 and N3.

John :)

Unknot your panties everyone.

beachbum29 is using very common internet forum slang in the form of rhetorical hyperbole in which he is asking for pictures as N4061 is describing something that is indeed visual in nature. By not posting pictures, N4061 is thereby neglecting one of the internet's powerful methods of communication; digital photography.

Here are some more examples:

"pics or it didn't happen"

"this thread is useless without pics" can be shortened to TTIUWP.

"pics or GTFO" You can probably figure that one out. If perplexed, consider asking a grandchild. They'll laugh.

Happy to help.

Unknot your panties everyone. beachbum29 is using very common internet forum slang in the form of rhetorical hyperbole in which he is asking for pictures as N4061 is describing something that is indeed visual in nature. By not posting pictures, N4061 is thereby neglecting one of the internet's powerful methods of communication; digital photography. Here are some more examples: "pics or it didn't happen" "this thread is useless without pics" can be shortened to TTIUWP. "pics or GTFO" You can probably figure that one out. If perplexed, consider asking a grandchild. They'll laugh. Happy to help.
Yeah totally agree. When I start a new thread or look at one I would like there to be a picture, since I'm more of a visual person. Whenever I post I try to get a picture. beachbum did nothing wrong.

Hard to understand why anyone would think $10K is unrealistic for everything we are doing. I'll admit that San Diego is not the least expensive place to own a boat. Hang in there.

I didnt think that 10K was too much for carpet and upholstery, etc... It sounded about right to me.

N3 has a cute butt. It's a shame they stopped production as there's a lot to like in that model IMO.

N3 Limited Production

N3 has a cute butt. It's a shame they stopped production as there's a lot to like in that model IMO.

She is a real 7.5knot boat with a top end of 11knots. NOT normal true semi-displacement speeds but she is overbuilt and safe. That's really what we wanted at the end of the day. 7.5knots is a perfect speed for us and the boat feels solid and is very quiet. We also wish PAE had not ended production of N35 but the boats were too expensive when compared to Tug's and only a small group would be interested in paying a premium for this size boat. I ask Dan at PAE if they would consider building a similar boat in the 40' range and the answer was no. In fact I don't think we see anything new under 50' from Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen due to the cost of building. We are looking forward to using the boat and really see how she does. Speaking with one N35 owner he took his boat from Mexico to Alaska without any issues. That's along way in a 35' regardless of make/model.

John

Yes, lovely looking behind and foredeck, looking forward to more pics now you've figured it out. Love to see a profile, ¾ from ahead and astern, and of course inside, once you've got her how you want her.
Yes, long distance travel at just under hull speed in a 34/35' boat does take time, can vouch for that, being our length also…still…if time is what you have..?

Cool boat. Does yours have the crows nest on the mast? I would never get my kids out of that if I had a N35. Well, at least when I wasn't in it.

In fact I don't think we see anything new under 50' from Nordhavn or Kadey Krogen due to the cost of building.

The boat will have a markup of about 40% from the builder and final seller.

The bigger the boat the more cash 40% generates.

Better a $1.500,000 sales price than a $500,000 sales price .

The boat will have a markup of about 40% from the builder and final seller.

The bigger the boat the more cash 40% generates.

Better a $1.500,000 sales price than a $500,000 sales price .

True, but there are other considerations as well. Nordhavn's market focus has always been robust, ocean going trawlers designed to be owned and operated by a couple. As you get to the mid 40' and below range it becomes increasingly difficult to fit that into such a small package, and the boat starts to become something different and appeals to a different market of buyers and competes against different alternative boats.

N3 A few more pictures

Here are three more pictures (assumes I did this correctly).

Attachments

• N3522 Aft Deck.jpg
    N3522 Aft Deck.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 198
  • N3522 Bow.jpg
    N3522 Bow.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 213
  • N3522 Starboard Side.jpg
    N3522 Starboard Side.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 198
N3 Crows Nest

Cool boat. Does yours have the crows nest on the mast? I would never get my kids out of that if I had a N35. Well, at least when I wasn't in it.

Interesting question about the crows nest. At first I did not give it a second thought. After climbing up into it I realized I just gained a great vantage point without the top heavy flybridge. Wow, I thought to myself, this is cool. Will help when entering the shallows or any skinny water, we can have someone up top with a radio. When we were looking for this boat I specifically wanted something simpler, no active fin stabilizer, no flybridge, no generator (had to accept this one since it came with it), smaller to own and operate BUT it had to be safe and rock solid. We did get lucky. I have to wonder if we will ever see a crows nest on the new non-flybridge N63??

John T.

Very nice cockpit. Love the side and transom doors. Wish my Californian had one.

N3 LLC & Coast Guard Boarding

In case anyone is following our adventure and time line, yesterday we received our copy of the boats LLC. The attorney keeps a copy and we get one copy. No need to discuss the reasons for an LLC since this was previously discussed, just provided a simple update related our purchase.

We are still awaiting the official ship register papers.

I still need to transfer ownership of the Emergency Locating Beacon (ELB) over to us "just in case" we should ever have to use it.

We have a 3-ring binder with copies of all the ship documents which we will keep on board. I take paperwork serious having cleared customs a few times with our previous boats. A funny story is when we selling N4061 a few years ago and I took the 3-ring binder home to make copies and placed it back in the car. The next day I was at work and decided to run the boat for 30 minutes during lunch. I always try to run the run the boat every 2-3 weeks. I was rushing and forgot to put the 3-ring binder back on the boat. As I headed out for my short run I got pulled over by the Coast Guard for an inspection. I convinced them the papers were in the car and they followed me back to my slip (one person with me who I let drive the boat as we talked about the boat). Upon reaching the slip I ran to the car to get the 3-ring binder. The officer in charge was more impressed with the boat then worrying about paper work and let me go with just a warning. The real lesson learned was to be polite, offer water and soda, follow their lead and when the opportunity comes up let them know how much you appreciate their efforts and being there for boaters when we need them. True story!

John T

... I specifically wanted something simpler... no generator (had to accept this one since it came with it)...

Ok I gotta ask.. Didn't you mention installing a sat system to watch the Super Bowl on the hook off Catalina. How big a battery bank did you plan on? Or were you skipping the pre-game antics? :)

Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom