Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Sorry, I don't buy the Streech propaganda. He's been known to play fancy and loose with his proclamations and promises. I'll buy when actual boats are examined and used. A very different boat, built in a very different yard, using the Nordhavn name.

I know 40' Nordhavn's have crossed oceans, but I go back to the 2004 crossing and presenting that as a rallying cry of the success of all the boats ignores the reality of the problems boats had and the uncommon amount of support available to them.

This new endeavor of building a smaller boat in Turkey I firmly evaluated as "To Be Determined." It may be an incredible boat for crossings of shorter expanses, but none of us know how it will be at this point. We do know it's considerably less expensive and generally that equates to less boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
Guru

N41

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I doubt you will see anyone actually crossing an ocean in the 41. I think the A rating is more an overall statement of sea worthiness that is expected in a cruising vessel meant for more adventurous boating. In this respect, I don’t think it’s any different than a Fleming that is A rated, but will never cross an ocean. Totally different boats in most other respects, but I mention only to illustrate this particular feature.

Whether it’s for you or not, lots of people want Nordhavn-like boats, but want a smaller, more affordable entry point. I think that’s where it fits. I don’t see it as a departure from the core values, unlike the CP57 and the motor sailor.
Perfectly said. ��
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I doubt you will see anyone actually crossing an ocean in the 41. I think the A rating is more an overall statement of sea worthiness that is expected in a cruising vessel meant for more adventurous boating. In this respect, I don’t think it’s any different than a Fleming that is A rated, but will never cross an ocean. Totally different boats in most other respects, but I mention only to illustrate this particular feature.

Whether it’s for you or not, lots of people want Nordhavn-like boats, but want a smaller, more affordable entry point. I think that’s where it fits. I don’t see it as a departure from the core values, unlike the CP57 and the motor sailor.
Our 44' Riva is A rated. Only one problem on ocean crossing. It only has a range of 210 nm or so.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:23 PM   #24
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Our 44' Riva is A rated. Only one problem on ocean crossing. It only has a range of 210 nm or so.

Good example. Ocean A does not equal ocean crosser. It's just a sea state rating.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
What % of Nordhavns actually cross oceans? Wonderful vessels but for 80 to 90% of the owners much like a Jeep that never goes off the pavement. That is OK, buying a Nordhavn for its capability and class is a dream fulfilled for many. But quite possibly overkill for many buyers once the euphoria wears off.

So, as TT says the 41 should be a real winner. It checks virtually all the boxes for the hundreds of real buyers in the 40’ market. Small diesels, twins, wet exhaust, pedigree, great Nordhavn support and able to safely take a couple far away for a long cruising season.

Also, finding moorage for a 40’ vessel is much easier than a plus 50. The notion that Turkish yards are substandard is silly. It all comes down to design, good machinery and Nordhavn training to ensure top notch QA QC. As usual, Nordhavn is ahead of the curve and able to execute as few other builders can.

Congrats.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:38 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

The notion that Turkish yards are substandard is silly. It all comes down to design, good machinery and Nordhavn training to ensure top notch QA QC. As usual, Nordhavn is ahead of the curve and able to execute as few other builders can.

Congrats.
The notion isn't that a Turkish yard is substandard. The notion is that a new design built in a yard they've never used is likely to have issues they don't encounter building the existing boats in a yard they've used for years. It's familiarity and experience. The other part of the notion is it's a less expensive boat and that could mean less expensive materials and quality issues.

The big thing is this is a new boat in a new yard to them and none of us have any idea how good it will or won't be. Even good builders struggle doing different things. Just look at all the issues Nordhavn had building the 120. Nightmare. Supervising quality in a new plant far away is a challenge. I think to automatically assume because it's got the Nordhavn name it's a great boat is just not reasonable.

I'm a huge fan of Westport, but you tell me they're going to build an aluminum boat in Italy and I'm not going to equate it's quality to their normal builds. I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:45 PM   #27
Guru

N475 Arrived

Hull number one arrived DP on Tuesday last week after being off loaded in Ensenada, Mexico the day prior. Mary and I stopped at DP on the way back from a few days in Santa Barbara and was able to see the boat up close. Since the owners were aboard we didn't want to look inside but the exterior lines of the boat didn't disappoint us. This is a sleeker looking Nordhavn and a little more modern looking with its new PH black windows. Nicely done and will cost around $1.3M fully equipped.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Hull number one arrived DP on Tuesday last week after being off loaded in Ensenada, Mexico the day prior. Mary and I stopped at DP on the way back from a few days in Santa Barbara and was able to see the boat up close. Since the owners were aboard we didn't want to look inside but the exterior lines of the boat didn't disappoint us. This is a sleeker looking Nordhavn and a little more modern looking with its new PH black windows. Nicely done and will cost around $1.3M fully equipped.

John T.
Does it tempt you?
Old 07-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #29

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
Thanks for the update.
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #30

https://nordhavn.com/2019/08/13/firs...ystem-arrives/

Looks interesting.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post

John T.
No pics, John?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #32

https://nordhavn.com/2019/07/25/the-...1-has-arrived/

This link has a nice selection.