N41

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I asked Jim why they stopped making the N46. He answered, 'no one was buying it anymore.'
Then, they start hunting around for a boat that would excite folks again.

That does become a problem with any design that doesn't have a wide enough appeal or is targeted at too small a market. At some point, just about everyone who wants one and can afford it new has already bought one, so it becomes hard to sell more than an occasional one here and there.

I've got long time customers with delivery of theirs coming up in the spring. They are going to cruise it over there for a while, then bring it back and NH will ship it to Vancouver.

I just had this pop u into my youtube suggestions
https://youtu.be/y0WFkE-cALI
so I came here to see what more experienced folks were thinking about it. Found this thread.....
Found it interesting that he really stressed "go anywhere in the world"
but here in this thread the stated range seems short for that..... and talk about it being a weekend cruiser....

I went ahead and watched the 2nd part of that and looked a bit more at the boat. I understand the "weekender" comment. It seems a bit small maybe for most folks to live on full time. Strikes me that it would be a good seasonal cruiser maybe.

What blows me away is that it is cheaper than a Beneteau Swift 41. While the N41 has a number of compromises and Beneteau makes a nice boat there is no comparison. My Beneteau dealer told me more Swifts have been sold in the US than all other trawler makers combined. Of course the Swift isn’t really a trawler and if you want to go 16 knots you won’t go Nordhavn. If Nordhavn can scale production I net they have a hit.

They are a lovely long hop coastal cruiser in my mind. Norhavn has identified the way most folks actually use most of the smaller models. However what made nordhavn distinct was even the smallest model was transoceanic. On passage even in the smallest boat having three makes a big difference. Being on watch every 8 rather than 4 is huge. Not hot bunking is huge if you’re out for a week or two. The 40 seems a better passage boat than the 41 to my eye. Even with the two stateroom version. Do like the 41 pilot house better than the 40. Less wasted space. With the 47, 50 and 46 even more liveable yet than the 41 at anchor. Bunks in the middle or aft end of the boat have less motion. For the usage we envision (continuing international cruising) the N475 is a better fit. However, don’t want to wait out the build time and having gone through a new build with our last boat know it takes a year regardless of how well you spec out a boat to sort out the bugs, learn the systems, and add what’s missing or redo what could have been done better. Being a dust farter didn’t want to wait that long. I still prefer solid glass up to the hull deck junction. I prefer a single with a get home to twins. I don’t like exposed running gear. I do want a dry stack. I do want a non turbo mechanical engine. But prefer grp to Fe and do want active stabilization so N is still preferable to DD. We continue to look for a N 50’ down but don’t want a 46 due to the ER ergonomics. We started looking right after the Outbound was sold a year ago fall. It’s been a long wait. My hope remains once people realize a SD hull is more suitable for their actual use and there’s no need for the expense and complexities of a N unless you’re actually crossing oceans more will come on the market. Also folks age out. Still, expect prices will be inflated but yolo.
Yes I’d be pleased as punch with a N41. It’s a great boat but different folks different boats. Do disagree about the 41’s appeal. It a very appealing boat and think it will have a very long production run.

Last edited:
My N46 had a many valve manifold and I made it more complicated by added a fuel polishing system.

Somewhat on a lark, I reached out to Nordhavn to ask about the availability and pricing of their new 41. The price (delivered to the U.S. east coast) is now $854,000. Delivery is almost four (4) years out: September 2025.

It looks like a beautiful boat that I'd love to have, even though the price is beyond my upper limit. But 4 years to delivery is a non-starter regardless of the price. By that point I'll likely have too little time left to me to make it worthwhile.

Delivered in 2025? I plan on being dead by 2025 or 'stroked out', duct taped to a wheel chair, wearing a diaper LOL

I do believe you would have greater luck find a used N41.

If you can find a used AT41/43 the price will be great but you can have it almost now. Look look look
I do believe you would be pleased and happy with an American Tug.

Last edited:
Delivered in 2025? I plan on being dead by 2025 or 'stroked out', duct taped to a wheel chair, wearing a diaper LOL

I do believe you would have greater luck find a used N41.

:lol:

I don't "plan" to be either dead or vegetative by 2025, but I recognize that it's a distinct possibility (if not probability) by then.

I've been searching for a used boat for just over 2 years. Between multiple bad experiences with sleazy brokers, the lack of supply, and nosebleed high prices on even project boats, I'm pretty much giving up (of course, hindsight being 20/20, a couple of the boats I saw Fall 2019 at the beginning of the search that I passed on because I thought something 'better' would come along, I should have jumped on if I knew then what I know now, but it was hard to predict the coming and impact of the pandemic).

Used Dave Balfour a Nordie broker for recent search. Personally wouldn’t want a N41. Can’t have a flybridge as it wouldn’t be able to be “A” rated with one. Think it’s a 2 person boat and our usual 4 for passage would be cramped. Would much prefer a 475 and no hot bunking or sleeping in open spaces. However about the same wait time for the 475. Wonder about the detailing on the Turkey boats but hear it’s good.

2 years ago set out to get a N43. “Settled” for a NT42. In retrospect may have been a better choice for likely use program. Sure was nice to average 10kts and have more in the bag going the wrong way through hellsgate and the C&D. On the Nordie would had to wait on the tides or crawl. Did the run nonstop so was tired at the end. Getting into Deltaville brushed the mud just outside the slips. Goosed it and free. Probably be there for 6 hours on the Nordie. All boats are comprises. Talking with the Nordie broker few are first boat sales when talking about new construction. Many are moving up inside the brand or existing boaters moving into the brand. Things have been distorted with the hot Covid market but still generally true. So some people aren’t going boatless waiting on their construction slot to start.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom