Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #21
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Ah yes 25 new N41 reserved.
That tells me, if I ordered one today, I would be dead before they started on my boat. SHRUG.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:19 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
The N40 interior and N41 are totally two different layouts and different boats. The N40 with its wider beam and full width salon is much larger and provides a better option as a live aboard. You also have the PH as an additional room with great views. Look closely at both and compare for yourself. For some the new N41 will work better but it depends on your requirements and how you plan to use the boat 90% of the time. I’m still a big fan of every Nordhavn built and sharing my thoughts so don’t get discouraged and keep researching which model works for you.

John T
I just watched a YouTube video of the N41. They have gone a completely different direction with them. No fly bridge anymore and while the stateroom setup is fairly similar one big difference is the engine room is now accessed from the salon via a deck hatch. It might have the same ballpark footage but if I was going to buy one I’d be looking at a n40. It’s also a twin engine boat. Honestly it looks more like a Selene trawler.
Jmk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmk2000 View Post
I just watched a YouTube video of the N41. They have gone a completely different direction with them. No fly bridge anymore and while the stateroom setup is fairly similar one big difference is the engine room is now accessed from the salon via a deck hatch. It might have the same ballpark footage but if I was going to buy one I’d be looking at a n40. It’s also a twin engine boat. Honestly it looks more like a Selene trawler.
Can you share the YT link?

There are those who say Nordhavn's have always been twin engine boats, but I certainly get your point.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #24
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
Been shopping N40/43. Nearly none are used for blue water passage. But nearly all are used for long hop coastal or near shore passages. Where we’re shopping the usual program is snowbirding along the the US/Canadian east coast. Bahamas to Canada. Not straight shots to the leewards or doing the North Atlantic gyre nor eastern Med to eastern Caribbean. The new N475 is set up for open ocean blue water passage imho. For passagemaking I think that’s the preferred small Nordhavn in their current line up. Think this vessel(n475) is the real replacement of the N40/43. The N41 is set up to serve the actual way N40 owners use their boats except for a small few. The 41 will also be attractive to the N35 crowd. It’s a excellent vessel and would be totally delighted to have a 41. But if we hit the lottery it’s a 475 that would be ordered.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Can you share the YT link?

There are those who say Nordhavn's have always been twin engine boats, but I certainly get your point.
Peter
Best guess, the Ns have always been a single engine until buyers insisted on 2.
My N46 was a single engine with a get home.
Now that N have entered the 'big boy' league, I think they are all 2 engines.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I have not seen it in person, but looks like a cool boat from the pics and video. Personally, I would like more interior living space for this size class, but + and - for every boat.

Regarding the twin engine maneuverability aspect for docking etc, I wonder how it will pivot with a deep keel? IE, compared to a flatter SD hull with less keel.

It also appears the engines/props are spaced fairly close together which would also have an effect.

Anyone piloted a boat of similar design that can offer an opinion who has first hand experience?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Incorporating Twins

Old Dan - It may come down to the price of the larger, single engine vs. the smaller twins. Emissions certifications have changed the math.

The below is from Dan Streech, and was posted on the Nordhavn Dreamers email list on 01/08/19:

“This brings us to the Beta which Jim found and which has consistently been the suggested engine for the several small Nordhavn designs which you have seen recently. Being under 100 HP, these engines are held to slightly lower emissions standards and the designers used this to package a simple “mechanical” engine which is priced right and is perfect (as twins) for the N41.”
Old 01-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Well, the success of the N41 has spawned the N51. Twin JD 4045s and built in Turkey. PAE doesn't give up.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:13 AM   #29
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Old Dan - It may come down to the price of the larger, single engine vs. the smaller twins. Emissions certifications have changed the math.

The below is from Dan Streech, and was posted on the Nordhavn Dreamers email list on 01/08/19:

“This brings us to the Beta which Jim found and which has consistently been the suggested engine for the several small Nordhavn designs which you have seen recently. Being under 100 HP, these engines are held to slightly lower emissions standards and the designers used this to package a simple “mechanical” engine which is priced right and is perfect (as twins) for the N41.”

That makes sense. There's also some economy of scale to be gained from installing 2 of the same engines and transmissions, rather than 1 large and 1 small in each boat (for a main+wing).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #30
Guru

I asked Jim why they stopped making the N46. He answered, 'no one was buying it anymore.'
Then, they start hunting around for a boat that would excite folks again.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I asked Jim why they stopped making the N46. He answered, 'no one was buying it anymore.'
Then, they start hunting around for a boat that would excite folks again.

That does become a problem with any design that doesn't have a wide enough appeal or is targeted at too small a market. At some point, just about everyone who wants one and can afford it new has already bought one, so it becomes hard to sell more than an occasional one here and there.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #32

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
I've got long time customers with delivery of theirs coming up in the spring. They are going to cruise it over there for a while, then bring it back and NH will ship it to Vancouver.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #33

City: NE Florida
I just had this pop u into my youtube suggestions
https://youtu.be/y0WFkE-cALI
so I came here to see what more experienced folks were thinking about it. Found this thread.....
Found it interesting that he really stressed "go anywhere in the world"
but here in this thread the stated range seems short for that..... and talk about it being a weekend cruiser....
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:45 PM   #34

City: NE Florida
I went ahead and watched the 2nd part of that and looked a bit more at the boat. I understand the "weekender" comment. It seems a bit small maybe for most folks to live on full time. Strikes me that it would be a good seasonal cruiser maybe.
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 11:26 AM   #35

City: San Diego
What blows me away is that it is cheaper than a Beneteau Swift 41. While the N41 has a number of compromises and Beneteau makes a nice boat there is no comparison. My Beneteau dealer told me more Swifts have been sold in the US than all other trawler makers combined. Of course the Swift isn’t really a trawler and if you want to go 16 knots you won’t go Nordhavn. If Nordhavn can scale production I net they have a hit.
zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #36

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
40 or 41 ft Nordhavn, I can adapt.
HA! I was thinking the same. Gee, I’ll “rough it” with either...
Old 07-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #37
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
They are a lovely long hop coastal cruiser in my mind. Norhavn has identified the way most folks actually use most of the smaller models. However what made nordhavn distinct was even the smallest model was transoceanic. On passage even in the smallest boat having three makes a big difference. Being on watch every 8 rather than 4 is huge. Not hot bunking is huge if you’re out for a week or two. The 40 seems a better passage boat than the 41 to my eye. Even with the two stateroom version. Do like the 41 pilot house better than the 40. Less wasted space. With the 47, 50 and 46 even more liveable yet than the 41 at anchor. Bunks in the middle or aft end of the boat have less motion. For the usage we envision (continuing international cruising) the N475 is a better fit. However, don’t want to wait out the build time and having gone through a new build with our last boat know it takes a year regardless of how well you spec out a boat to sort out the bugs, learn the systems, and add what’s missing or redo what could have been done better. Being a dust farter didn’t want to wait that long. I still prefer solid glass up to the hull deck junction. I prefer a single with a get home to twins. I don’t like exposed running gear. I do want a dry stack. I do want a non turbo mechanical engine. But prefer grp to Fe and do want active stabilization so N is still preferable to DD. We continue to look for a N 50’ down but don’t want a 46 due to the ER ergonomics. We started looking right after the Outbound was sold a year ago fall. It’s been a long wait. My hope remains once people realize a SD hull is more suitable for their actual use and there’s no need for the expense and complexities of a N unless you’re actually crossing oceans more will come on the market. Also folks age out. Still, expect prices will be inflated but yolo.
Yes I’d be pleased as punch with a N41. It’s a great boat but different folks different boats. Do disagree about the 41’s appeal. It a very appealing boat and think it will have a very long production run.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #38
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Hot bunking in a small yacht? come on...
Old 07-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #39
Guru

My N46 had a many valve manifold and I made it more complicated by added a fuel polishing system.