N41 - 1st hull out of mold.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a N40 with a main and wing, so perhaps I can point out some advantages of the two mains instead of a main and wing...

1. A wing engine needs to be exercised frequently. With two mains, both engines are always exercised.

2. A second, full-size propeller with a rudder behind it, and the larger engine, will be more effective than a wing. Think wind/current or maneuvering in a marina.

3. You can have one inventory of spare parts, instead of two.

4. You can have a service schedule and all of the required knowledge for one engine, instead of a separate schedule and knowledge to maintain a completely different engine.

Best Wishes

I see your point, but this should be valid for the whole Nordhavn range and much more on bigger boats... that's why I did not understand the getting out from the tradition...

I'd expect the bigger boats are intended to spend a larger portion of their time on big open-water passages rather than near coastlines, so the slight efficiency gain from main + wing probably makes more sense there.

On a smaller boat the more symmetrical engine room layout with twins may be easier to fit and allow for easy maintenance. And when doing work in more crowded coastal waters, the increased maneuverability is nice, plus if you have to shut one down for an issue, the other is likely already running (not necessarily the case with main + wing), so there's less of a maneuvering concern in the moment.

thanks rslifkin for your interesting point of view.
now, just wondering if it would be possible to run the N41 with only one engine ON so to keep half the overall hours on the engines using them at alternated day...
if possible... and if it make sense, also depending on how it would be designed the battery charging through engine alternator

thanks rslifkin for your interesting point of view.
now, just wondering if it would be possible to run the N41 with only one engine ON so to keep half the overall hours on the engines using them at alternated day...
if possible... and if it make sense, also depending on how it would be designed the battery charging through engine alternator

Yes, in theory you could do that, but personally, I wouldn't. It's unlikely to save much fuel, and depending on your speed and the transmissions, you may have to tie down the non-running shaft to prevent freewheeling (and doing that will add drag, further negating the fuel savings). The boat will handle / maneuver worse as well. So I'd consider doing that just to keep engine hours down to be pretty much a waste.

IRENE question -

If you were ordering a new Nordhavn today, say the 475, would you
order it with a wing engine or not?

I see your point, but this should be valid for the whole Nordhavn range and much more on bigger boats... that's why I did not understand the getting out from the tradition...

Emissions standards and cost of a larger, single, engine may be part of the reasoning.

IRENE question -

Absolutely, yes.

IRENE question -

First off, I am VERY jealous
Based upon owning a 46N. I would order a wing engine, fuel polishing/transfer system, oil change system, 12KW gen and a 12vt water maker, washer dryer, duel voltage fridge, 12vt cold plate freezer.
Plus, naturally aspirated engine keel cooler, hyd stabilizers, easier to maintain yourself. Fewer things to go wrong.
Hyd bow and stern thrusters and don’t skimp on the thrusters HP. Fully loaded the Nordhavn are heavy boats.
After a near disaster with the rocks and the wind, I stepped up my bow thruster to a 24vt, 12 hp thruster, with props that more efficiently pushed port/stbd. I think they called it a twin prop.
Remember you have a bunch of 8D batteries, use them. I never did put in the stern thruster.
And a good size inverter.
I reworked the fwd stateroom to have a separate cedar lined hanging closet fwd starb and more drawers afte of the closet. Yes, I did keep the berth on top of the drawers but needed a ladder to get up to is. Ah, raiser the berth about 4 inches to make it a lift berth to store stuff.
I make no recommendation on electronic. I did add a stand alone dept sounder and a stand alone rudder indicator mounting them on top of the existing instrument display. All the gauges were analog gauges, personal preference.
Video cam fwd and after plus 2 in the engine room.
Equip you N47 like this and you are set for life.
I am assuming the 47 is still a 50amp boat.

Last edited:
as experienced Nordhavn owner(s), do you think that this N41 is a good boat, at least "on the paper"?

in your opinion, would it be a correct choice for Med coastal cruising and longer passages (i.e. 300/400 Nm) with coast out of sight?
and for Atlantic coastal cruising + Biscayne bay crossing + Channel + North Sea?

or you can suggest a more appropriate choice, staying in the 40ft range?

as experienced Nordhavn owner(s), do you think that this N41 is a good boat, at least "on the paper"?

in your opinion, would it be a correct choice for Med coastal cruising and longer passages (i.e. 300/400 Nm) with coast out of sight?
and for Atlantic coastal cruising + Biscayne bay crossing + Channel + North Sea?

I think it would be excellent for that, assuming a 41' boat has space to meet your personal comfort needs. I think it's going to be a very successful boat, and they have already sold at least 5 of them.

IMO and only IMO, if you equip the N41 as I earlier, I would not recommend crossing the Atlantic without a buddy boat. If is a fantastic 2 person boat. No one likes to sleep on the saloon pull out but will tolerate it. Plus, if someone it sleep in the saloon pull out, sort of restricts activities in the saloon when there is an off watch sleeping in the saloon
IF you equip a 47 as I recommended before, 2 couples or at least a knowledgable captain, you will be fine IF you get training and experience for a months worth of cruising. Then, still listen to the licensed captain's advice.

Two downsides of the N41 are, ER might be considered a bit crowded and lack of space for stores and hanging clothes. You and I can live in a pair of short and a shirt for a week if necessary, women.... LOL they want lots clean clothes, based upon my experience. Also, LOTS and LOTS of space of TP. I tell the story, my ex was in such great fear of running out of TP, when she left, I didn't have to by any TP for about 18 months.

The second down size it, water draft and air draft. Water draft, if you intend to cross the big pond, around 5 ft. The N46 used the keel FW water tanks as ballast. I never discovered a problem with drinking water on board. The only reason for mentioning air draft is if you have to clear lots of bridges.

Ah, include a small gas grill to hang off the blunt end of the boat. (forgot that)
Some people insist on a gas stove and oven..... you choice. I aint paying for your boat.

2 stand alone, 2 antenna (one antenna on either side of the pilot house roof) VHF plus a couple of hand held VHFs.

Biscayne Bay crossing and out of land site in the N41, people do it regularly in boats smaller than the 41. The Nordhavn will survive more rough weather than you and your guests. Of course that is assuming the pilot house doors and stern door is closed during rough weather.

Another thing to remember, apparently the world has changed how boats are measured. When they say 41 they are saying LOA, they add 2 ft for the swim platform so in reality, we are talking about a 38ft boat. Start considering WLL instead.

I still recommend a single, naturally aspirated ME engine. I ran my Luggar 24 hours a day without a problem. Add a second ME and the engine room might be a bit small for maintenance especially when hot. The large prop is well protected by the keel and skeg.
The wing engine fold prop just sort of hangs out there.

Fly bridge, not on my boats. The A/Cs, head, galley and coffee port are inside for a reason. SMIRK

Okay, I think I am finished again.

Go have fun.

Last edited:
Another thing to remember, apparently the world has changed how boats are measured. When they say 41 they are saying LOA, they add 2 ft for the swim platform. Start considering WLL instead.

That's because they've changed how the boats are made. Many have a molded in swim platform (and sometimes pulpit), so it's considered part of the hull and part of the LOA. A bolt-on platform isn't counted in LOA, as it's not part of the hull. So LOA numbers aren't really LOA, they're really "hull length".

As far as your comments on layout, I'd agree that the N41 wouldn't be a great layout for 2 couples. The lack of a second stateroom is a killer there, and unfortunately in that size, you pretty much either get a cockpit and large living spaces, or a bit less living space and 2 staterooms.

we are a cruising couple, no intention to have night guests...
so, we are looking for boats with a layout specifically "couple oriented"

we do not have intention to cross Atlantic, but we would for sure like to be able to face ocean seas. Ireland, Scotland and Norway costs can be challenging.

as OldDan said, people cruise commonly in smaller boats. in fact, question was also if it is not too much the N41 for the intended use.

We would not hesitate to use the N41 for your stated mission.

Realistically, even if you buy a much larger boat, you will be picking your weather days to ensure comfort.

N has selected reliable systems and as you recognized, there is redundant power.

Another point outside of your question, if I may. History has shown that the N is a relatively safe place to put your money in a boat. You should be able to have a great buying experience, make lots of happy memories, and sell it for a fair price when you decide to. Your new N will always be an economical, quality, and sensible boat.

I am not familiar with the European boat market, so I can’t offer any competitive suggestions. I would certainly be looking at some of the “native” brands. Elling, for example. Think resale WHERE you intend to get out.

main issue with European native brands is that REAL full displacement trawlers are commonly designed to be used in internal waters, mainly canals...
linnsen, andante, aquanaut have nice boats, but they are not designed keeping in mind a passage making or a long time offshore... maybe ok for live aboard, but gently moored in a Canal Marina... not anchored in a remote spot...
I love Privateer, but their smaller baby is too big for me (> 50ft)

The N41 checks a lot of boxes for serious cruisers. It will be interesting to see in the flesh. At a displacement of about 44,000 lbs it should prove quite seaworthy for its length.

There is a two stateroom option. We know many long distance cruisers who spend 90%+ of their time cruising as a couple, on much bigger boats. The current pandemic may well entice more to cruise as a couple. So quite possibly right time and right size.

I like it. Wish it had a flying bridge. Really need one along Gulf and Bahamas.

really a nice boat. with a flybridge would be a "prefect for me boat". like in the Gulf and Bahamas, also in the Med a flybridge makes the difference.
in the Q&A session they said that the flybridge has not been installed due to the design complications to obtain CE A rating

still looking for my perfect boat...

In today's Q & A they stated that once the inclining test is done and
the actual VCG is determined......IF there is enough stability margin
to allow a flybridge then it will be looked into.

let's wait for the test...
even IF with the actual layout on the "roof", mast position and solar panels there is not much room for a flybridge helm station... they should re-arrange it

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom