Old 01-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #281
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Any updates you care to share with us at this time including "how" the yard was able to ship the boat without taking the proper care to tie everything down? How was the rest of the boat and its systems? As well built as the Nordhavn's are I would think any damage is limited to the wood work and nothing more. On a positive note this may be an opportunity to make any "tweaks" you were thinking about to the salon layout even if they are small. Looking forward to seeing photos up the refinished salon and magnificent boat.

John T.

All is going well. We have a plan to fix the woodwork, and I expect it will have minimal impact on our ultimate delivery of the boat. Everyone is forging ahead.

Right now I have a guy helping me finish up the electronics, and that's proceeding well. We are 4 days into a straight 10 day run which I think will culminate with 90% or more of the electronics operational.
The only "change" is that we moved the boat from the Elliot Bay Marina seawall into Salmon Bay. It's just too rough there when the wind kicks up.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #282
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Commiserations amongst the joy of the new boat. I hope the experience is not too spoiled, and goodwill from the mfr and others involved sees everything restored to original if not better condition.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #283
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I hope the experience is not too spoiled, and goodwill from the mfr and others involved sees everything restored to original if not better condition.

The president of the company made a trip up during their xmas/new years shutdown to personally see the boat, talk to craftsmen about repair approaches, meet with the insurance surveyor, and get the ball rolling on everything. Everyone is pulling together to deal with the problem, which is what matters the most to me.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #284
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Smart. Better to bend over backwards and do all they can to make you happy rather than face an expensive and time consuming possible lawsuit.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #285
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The president of the company made a trip up during their xmas/new years shutdown to personally see the boat, talk to craftsmen about repair approaches, meet with the insurance surveyor, and get the ball rolling on everything. Everyone is pulling together to deal with the problem, which is what matters the most to me.
Smart people from PAE decided a long time ago that customer support was essential. Nordhavn's sales and reputation have been served well by their integrity.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:50 AM   #286
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Smart people from PAE decided a long time ago that customer support was essential. Nordhavn's sales and reputation have been served well by their integrity.
I agree. Years ago when I was delivering, close half my work was with nordhavn. Their attitude at the time was go chalk a lot of stuff up to marketing, even it it was unclear it wasn't the owners fault. They would drop ship stuff all over to owners to get them going again. It didn't solve all problems, but compared go other builders I worked with at the time, PAE definitely bent over backwards.

One builder who shall remain nameless took the attitude that they didn't know what might have been done once the boat left their factory so denied all culpability - sort of like a fledgling sparrow that mom wouldn't recognize 5-mins after it left the nest . Also prevented them from accepting owner feedback thus improving their product and becoming a more market-competitive boat.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #287
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Curious. What did you spec for stabilization? Interesting thread on dreamers site explaining the limitations of gyros. You’re a big open ocean vessel. Did you skip gyros and go with fins that will also work at anchors? Which ones?
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #288
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Yes Tom,
But customer support costs lots of money. Money that comes only from the customers of their product. If the “integrity” was there in the first place the heavy customer service wouldn’t be needed.

I’d rather buy a product not needing expensive customer support at my expense.

The best products probably aren’t in need of high customer support as the support went into the product itself.

And there are those that enjoy others waiting on them.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #289
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Curious. What did you spec for stabilization? Interesting thread on dreamers site explaining the limitations of gyros. You’re a big open ocean vessel. Did you skip gyros and go with fins that will also work at anchors? Which ones?

ABT fins including stabilization at rest. Same as the last boat.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #290

City: Debary
TwistedTree,

Any updates?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #291
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
TwistedTree,

Any updates?

It's Groundhog Day onboard Tanglewood. All day, everyday, 7 days a week.

The way everyone has come together to fix the interior damage has been fantastic, and that work is proceeding along in parallel with regular commissioning, which is exactly what I hoped for.

The guy who is helping me with the electronics (Chris) preferred to start right after xmas, so I spent the first two weeks mostly focused on that which is a bit reversed from what I would normally do. The yard pre-installed/wired the majority of the equipment, but the mast still needed to be installed, radar antennas installed and wired, VHF antennas located and installed, and all the instruments installed on the mast. Plus a variety of loose ends inside the boat. We got it all done, but didn't get any of the N2K stuff done other than installing the backbone connectors, terminators, and getting it powered.

Since then the focus has been on getting other systems running and checked out. Finding, fixing. Finding, fixing.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #292
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
What a tragic story. So sorry you had to go through all of this, Twistedtree! I wish you the best of luck in the repair effort!!
Old 01-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #293
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
You've probably mentioned this, but what heating system install?
Old 01-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #294
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
You've probably mentioned this, but what heating system install?

Diesel heat using an Olympia boiler. I just bled out all the heating loops this afternoon and hope to fire it up in the next day or so. Just waiting on an extension for the boiler thermostat that can reach the control box.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:32 PM   #295
Guru

Any updates you care to provide? Thanks

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:24 PM   #296
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Any updates you care to provide? Thanks

John T.

Sure. Things are going pretty well. The salon repair is progressing on track with the new floor 80-90% laid, and 90% of the other cabinetry work completed off site. I think by the end of this coming week the floor will all be down and the cabinetry going back in. Then it's an exercise in sanding and finishing.

Meanwhile commissioning is well down the road. I think all systems except the propane are on-line and operational, though we still have a list of issues to sort out. But the crew is keeping pace fixing stuff pretty much as fast as I can find problems.

I still need to get some more of the Maretron stuff installed and online so I can calibrate tanks, and have effective monitoring for sea trials. And I think that's the big gap right now - no serious operational time yet. We probably have 4 hrs underway so far, and that's not enough. I just need to get enough stuff working for a good sea trial, then find the time to slot it in without disrupting the momentum on the other work.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:25 PM   #297
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Thumbs up

Hi, Twisted, I've just realised you're another Peter. I think I prefer that for future reference than calling you Twisted.

Anyway, I have to say I still feel quite dismayed and vicariously enraged (on your behalf), at what happened to that beautiful saloon interior due to that reprehensible damage done by inadequately stowed parts/gear shifting in transit.

I was wondering, after reading the repair progress report above, what changes PAE are going to make regarding future shipping of boats..? Surely there must have been a very thorough post mortem about what happened, and what to do in future..? And some compensation due to time in use lost, I would have thought. Although I realise the detail of that would be commercial in confidence.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:06 AM   #298
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hi, Twisted, I've just realised you're another Peter. I think I prefer that for future reference than calling you Twisted.

Anyway, I have to say I still feel quite dismayed and vicariously enraged (on your behalf), at what happened to that beautiful saloon interior due to that reprehensible damage done by inadequately stowed parts/gear shifting in transit.

I was wondering, after reading the repair progress report above, what changes PAE are going to make regarding future shipping of boats..? Surely there must have been a very thorough post mortem about what happened, and what to do in future..? And some compensation due to time in use lost, I would have thought. Although I realise the detail of that would be commercial in confidence.

I too am sure there have been post mortems, but that's really theirs to deal with. For me it's just beating a dead horse. What I want is an as-new boat with no impact to the commissioning work and time table that otherwise happens. And so far that's what's happening, so I have no complaints.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #299

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
I was helping a buddy get his boat up and down the canal and pretty sure I saw Tanglewood. I am assuming you probably have the only one with boarding steps/ladder up the side of the hull. Looks like your dinghy made it. Did you get a chance to test out the hull boarding steps/ladder. Very nice looking boat by the way.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:54 PM   #300
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
I was helping a buddy get his boat up and down the canal and pretty sure I saw Tanglewood. I am assuming you probably have the only one with boarding steps/ladder up the side of the hull. Looks like your dinghy made it. Did you get a chance to test out the hull boarding steps/ladder. Very nice looking boat by the way.

We moved over to Canal Boatyard yesterday for floor sanding and finishing. Yes, the tender made it and is on deck with the crane in the air to make sure it doesn't tip off the blocks that are holding it up. I haven't tried the boarding ladder in/out of the tender, but we did test it from dockside and nobody went swimming. So it passed the first test.

Meanwhile we are keeping up with other commissioning projects, including fixing a bunch of stuff that didn't quite get done right. I'm keeping a loose metal list of "Covid projects", which are things I would have caught and had fixed at the yard had I been able to visit the boat over the last year of it's construction.

Today I got the radars configured and running without errors which was a nice milestone. And I just need to get N2KView running, then I can start calibrating tank levels.