Old 04-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #441
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
The forward tender was my concern too

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ess-62854.html

If safety isn’t a concern, I would think it might deter occasional use as too much of a hassle?
My boat has low decks and access so it’s easier. Still craning anything is always more of a hassle than not so maybe it’s not a dramatic difference?

But once you have the tender lifted off the foredeck and swing over the side and lower it to the water, what do you do then, assuming you aren’t in it? Is there a way to get it to the swim deck or do you use the ladder or …?

Have there been any accidents?

The interior of the APH 68 does look really nice! I can see why that is preferred.

I am aware of three different ways to get the tender unhooked from the davit and moved aft to a boarding gate or to the swim platform.

1) Keep a tender line or two on board, and walk tender aft while paying out more davit line. This is probably the best method as long as there is a clear path to walk the tender aft, and enough davit line to reach aft.

2) Send someone up/down in the tender. The dangers are self evident in this approach. Also, at least my tender is carefully balanced on the lifting sling so it takes off and lands easily in the chocks. Throw in the weight of a person, and now all that has changed.

3) Use a ladder or other means to climb up/down from the deck to the tender while its along side the bow. This is how Nordhavns are set up, using a Marquipt ladder. I'm trying something different on mine and had toe pockets molded into the side of the boat so the ladder is essentially built in to the boat. I haven't used it other than to test it, but I think it's going to work and saves the hassle of handling and storing a ladder.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:48 PM   #442
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I am aware of three different ways to get the tender unhooked from the davit and moved aft to a boarding gate or to the swim platform.

1) Keep a tender line or two on board, and walk tender aft while paying out more davit line. This is probably the best method as long as there is a clear path to walk the tender aft, and enough davit line to reach aft.

2) Send someone up/down in the tender. The dangers are self evident in this approach. Also, at least my tender is carefully balanced on the lifting sling so it takes off and lands easily in the chocks. Throw in the weight of a person, and now all that has changed.

3) Use a ladder or other means to climb up/down from the deck to the tender while its along side the bow. This is how Nordhavns are set up, using a Marquipt ladder. I'm trying something different on mine and had toe pockets molded into the side of the boat so the ladder is essentially built in to the boat. I haven't used it other than to test it, but I think it's going to work and saves the hassle of handling and storing a ladder.
Riiiight. Now seeing the above, I can understand why you went to all that trouble/extra expence getting the toe-holds moulded into the hull sides.
Old 12-26-2022, 06:55 PM   #443
Guru

After our new boat arrived with severe shipping damage, I didn't have the energy to keep my blog going while also dealing with the boat. But things have finally settled down and I just posted this recap of the repairs. And there's more to come shortly.

https://www.mvtanglewood.com/2022/12...g-repairs.html
Old 12-26-2022, 09:20 PM   #444
Grand Vizier

Quote:
After our new boat arrived with severe shipping damage, I didn't have the energy to keep my blog going while also dealing with the boat. But things have finally settled down and I just posted this recap of the repairs. And there's more to come shortly.

Really sorry Peter....

How did the damage occur? I imagine you've explained before, but I missed it
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:14 PM   #445
Guru

City: Curacao
Vessel Name: Endless Summer
Vessel Model: 1979 Defever 49
Quote:

Good to hear you finally have that finished. Now you can hopefully get to enjoying the boat the way it was supposed to be.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #446
Guru

I've been enjoying it for over a year now. Just way, way behind on the blog and trying to get caught up.
Old 12-26-2022, 11:31 PM   #447
Guru

Here's where the saga started https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...&postcount=262

But again, it happened two years ago and was long ago resolved. I'm just getting caught up with the blog.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:32 AM   #448
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I can not imagine the emotional control you have. But those guys are Craftsmen, and it shows. Beautiful job.
Choices is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #449
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Peter, you may have explained this in your blog but were you made whole for the shipping damage by insurance, the shipper etc? Thanks for the update. What a beautiful boat, seeing it in person some months ago.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:39 AM   #450
Guru

The floors and cabinets look great! Nordhavn stepped up as expected. Great ending to an unfortunate situation that is now behind you.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #451
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
The floors and cabinets look great! Nordhavn stepped up as expected. Great ending to an unfortunate situation that is now behind you.

John T.

Correct. Nordhavn's insurance covered it. The build contract was clear on when ownership transfers to me (not until I accepted the boat at the end of commissioning), and who was responsible for any casualty. So it was not an issue or question for anyone.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:18 PM   #452
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Here's where the saga started https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...&postcount=262

But again, it happened two years ago and was long ago resolved. I'm just getting caught up with the blog.

Ugh.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:24 PM   #453

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Pendana
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
can confirm it did turn out amazing. You would never know there was this kind of damage when you see it in person.
bkcorwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:46 AM   #454
Guru

Continuing on with the story https://www.mvtanglewood.com/2022/12...ing-build.html

Again a reminder that this all took place close to 2 years ago...
Old 01-26-2023, 04:11 PM   #455

City: Alabama
What a story. Congrats on the "ship" and well done keeping your cool during the trying repair times. I wouldn't have been so calm since I would have been excited to start the adventures. I guess in the end it just added several months delay and in the big scheme of life that's nothing. Cheers...
75Driver is offline   Reply With Quote