Old 09-24-2021, 07:54 AM   #381
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
And, it's done. We closed today, and the boat is ours. .
Being Friday night I have had several martinis on your behalf
Not that I needed an excuse
Old 09-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #382
Guru

City: Vermont
Thanks everyone. Now I need to go shopping for spares. I want to have at least a basic set of maintenance parts before we get going.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:58 AM   #383
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Now I need to go shopping for spares. I want to have at least a basic set of maintenance parts before we get going.
Wifey B: I have to ask this one question. You have a "go anywhere" boat. Why winter in a cold rainy climate? Sidney is wonderful in the summer, but if I was choosing a Sidney to winter in I'd replace the i with a y. Otherwise, I'd move down the coast a bit. Must be other things keeping you in that area. Enlightenment please sir.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:02 PM   #384

City: Duvall, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I’m contemplating ordering a new Fleming 65 which are several years out (or maybe trying to find a recent vintage one). I don’t need customization beyond deciding which cabin layout I truly prefer. My use isn’t blue water but just coastal trips, not living aboard but only a week to three at a time seasonally. I wonder about taking along a cook/help and how that would work. So the discussion of cabins was interesting.
FYI Chuck Hovey Yachts had a F65 in the show last weekend. It's a 2014 for sale, though oddly I don't see it listed on their website yet (or before the show for that matter). It's....unique. A piano in the port aft corner of the salon, 405HP engines, NO flybridge controls, and no helm seat aside from a Hollywood director's chair.
pjtemplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #385
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtemplin View Post
FYI Chuck Hovey Yachts had a F65 in the show last weekend. It's a 2014 for sale, though oddly I don't see it listed on their website yet (or before the show for that matter). It's....unique. A piano in the port aft corner of the salon, 405HP engines, NO flybridge controls, and no helm seat aside from a Hollywood director's chair.
Thank you. Burr had/has a f65 with the 405hp Cummings engines but I think it was a 2017 or so (so it’s not the same one?). If they were the standard 800hp engines the boat would have been sold long ago. I too want the larger engines. Hovey knows of my interest as well. Thanks.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #386
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I have to ask this one question. You have a "go anywhere" boat. Why winter in a cold rainy climate? Sidney is wonderful in the summer, but if I was choosing a Sidney to winter in I'd replace the i with a y. Otherwise, I'd move down the coast a bit. Must be other things keeping you in that area. Enlightenment please sir.
Belle, I am right here too! While Sidney is colder and rainier than Saltspring, it isn't by much. There is lots to keep one here at all times of the year. Enlightenment is only one of those things.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #387
Guru

Quote:

Well, to each her own. We find the winter in the PNW to be mild (it's all relative), and hotter climates that other love too hot for our taste. We also plan to spend next summer in AK, and WA/BC are a good place for shake down cruising.

Heading south, there isn't much that appeals to us until you get to Baja, and that's not a good place for shake down cruising.

Our plan is to stay in the PNW until boarders are reliably reopened. Then we will plan what's next.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:52 PM   #388
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
All the best TT. Been a struggle at times but a year from now those issues will be a distant memory as you make new cruising ones.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #389
Guru

We went on the F65 at the Seattle show too, and I have to say I wasn't as impressed as I have been in the past. In that rough size and type of boat, I really liked the Saber 58. The only down side to me is the IPS power package. I really like Sabers in general, but that would probably be a deal killer for me.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #390
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
All the best TT. Been a struggle at times but a year from now those issues will be a distant memory as you make new cruising ones.

Exactly. Just good stories to tell now, and lots more (but happy ones) to come.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:42 PM   #391
Guru

Quote:
Well, to each her own. We find the winter in the PNW to be mild (it's all relative), and hotter climates that other love too hot for our taste. We also plan to spend next summer in AK, and WA/BC are a good place for shake down cruising.

Heading south, there isn't much that appeals to us until you get to Baja, and that's not a good place for shake down cruising.

Our plan is to stay in the PNW until boarders are reliably reopened. Then we will plan what's next.
Wifey B: Good morning. Why am I awake so early? Sidney is a great place and if I had to be cold it would be near the top of my list.

We did shakedown cruises in the area too. You're right about that. Just get out and boat all you can between now and spring. 61 here and high of 76 today. I'll survive. I was much better dealing with cold before 9 years living in Fort Lauderdale.

Staying in an area right now is still not a bad idea at all. We still don't know what is ahead.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #392
Guru

Quote:
We went on the F65 at the Seattle show too, and I have to say I wasn't as impressed as I have been in the past. In that rough size and type of boat, I really liked the Saber 58. The only down side to me is the IPS power package. I really like Sabers in general, but that would probably be a deal killer for me.
I can certainly see the appeal of the Saber 58, though I have never been on one, but it’s a very different type of boat than what I like for my use, unless there’s a different 58 than their salon express. Sorry, I don’t want to hijack your thread
Old 09-24-2021, 11:39 PM   #393
Guru

Quote:

I agree with you! Such beautiful cruising grounds as well. Which marina or yard will you be in for the next few weeks?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #394
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Good morning. Why am I awake so early? Sidney is a great place and if I had to be cold it would be near the top of my list.

We did shakedown cruises in the area too. You're right about that. Just get out and boat all you can between now and spring. 61 here and high of 76 today. I'll survive. I was much better dealing with cold before 9 years living in Fort Lauderdale.

Staying in an area right now is still not a bad idea at all. We still don't know what is ahead.

It really comes down to what you like. Our original plan was to commission in Florida, but with travel restrictions we made a conscious decision to switch commission to Seattle. Weather was one factor. We greatly prefer the weather here vs Florida, but were going to put up with it to be closer to Europe which was our next big destination. But with travel restrictions we prefer where you can cruise here vs the US east coast. This is all our own preference without judgement other than for ourselves. So we WANT to be here. It's not a sentence.

Once travel is unrestricted, or much less restricted, we will re-plan our next destination. Even now with Canada re-opened, I'm thinking that basing out of BC for the winter was not the best choice. Not because of location, but because traveling back and forth is still a real pain in the ass. Covid testing as currently required is a much bigger hassle than you might imagine once you actually try to arrange it. It's very much driving our voyage plans, which is not how I want to cruise.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:52 AM   #395
Guru

Plus you wouldn’t want to spend too many days consecutively in WA or you will have to pay use tax there, as I’m sure you are aware. Though you can get extended cruising permits. But why not be a few hours closer to the Broughtons? You have the most amazing boat for it!
Old 09-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #396
Guru

Quote:
It really comes down to what you like. Our original plan was to commission in Florida, but with travel restrictions we made a conscious decision to switch commission to Seattle. Weather was one factor. We greatly prefer the weather here vs Florida, but were going to put up with it to be closer to Europe which was our next big destination. But with travel restrictions we prefer where you can cruise here vs the US east coast. This is all our own preference without judgement other than for ourselves. So we WANT to be here. It's not a sentence.

Once travel is unrestricted, or much less restricted, we will re-plan our next destination. Even now with Canada re-opened, I'm thinking that basing out of BC for the winter was not the best choice. Not because of location, but because traveling back and forth is still a real pain in the ass. Covid testing as currently required is a much bigger hassle than you might imagine once you actually try to arrange it. It's very much driving our voyage plans, which is not how I want to cruise.
Wifey B: Oh tell me about the testing. We've hit at least 50 ports this summer and even when not changing countries, different rules. Explain we've been in Italy, oh but that was Tuscany, you're in Campania now. oops. Vaccinated enough? Our own testing on boat? Where must we go? lol. We had one that we spoke to 2 hours before arrival and they changed the rules on us.

Still a mild inconvenience compared to what so many are going through so no complaints. Being a US citizen is a negative but then we explain we haven't been in the US since June. When we had two seven year olds with us, they seemed to test at least three times a week but they thought nothing of it, so much more adaptable than adults.

Have you considered ordering some test kits so you could self test? Prices for Abbott's kit are down to about $25 per kit. PCR kits generally more than rapid antigen kits.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #397
Guru

Entering in the US, at least by plane, required a certified test. Self testing wouldn’t qualify. They required two verifications before boarding and then spot checked the testing results (and others but I’m not sure if everyone as I was early off the plane) in the US.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #398
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Entering in the US, at least by plane, required a certified test. Self testing wouldn’t qualify. They required two verifications before boarding and then spot checked the testing results (and others but I’m not sure if everyone as I was early off the plane) in the US.
Actually self testing can be fully certified. Swab is inserted, results compiled and email received shortly thereafter from the testing company. US accepts just like a test from a medical facility, but I don't know about Canada.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #399
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: Oh tell me about the testing. We've hit at least 50 ports this summer and even when not changing countries, different rules. Explain we've been in Italy, oh but that was Tuscany, you're in Campania now. oops. Vaccinated enough? Our own testing on boat? Where must we go? lol. We had one that we spoke to 2 hours before arrival and they changed the rules on us.

Still a mild inconvenience compared to what so many are going through so no complaints. Being a US citizen is a negative but then we explain we haven't been in the US since June. When we had two seven year olds with us, they seemed to test at least three times a week but they thought nothing of it, so much more adaptable than adults.

Have you considered ordering some test kits so you could self test? Prices for Abbott's kit are down to about $25 per kit. PCR kits generally more than rapid antigen kits.

We will likely look into the self test kits. Just need to understand the logistics of how they work, dependency of mailing/shipping, and acceptability to various officials. For this round of getting the boat into Canada, then getting ourselves home, we will use local services.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #400
Guru

Quote:
We will likely look into the self test kits. Just need to understand the logistics of how they work, dependency of mailing/shipping, and acceptability to various officials. For this round of getting the boat into Canada, then getting ourselves home, we will use local services.
Wifey B: No mailing required. You test and then get the results sent to your email within minutes. Here is one example:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...pack?hsLang=en

You actually get a certified guide to guide you through the test. Digital certificate is loaded into the Navica App on your phone. Now some do require you to return samples. You're right though about looking into the various local requirements.

Only reason I'm familiar is we've used thousands in our businesses before ever using them on the water, then we used them in the Bahamas and they accepted them with no problem.

Good luck with all your going back and forth and hope you can get a lot of boating in.

One more question....oh god I sound like Colombo. But I'm not interrogating, just learning...what conditions do you still boat in or what conditions just enjoy time on the boat without going out? I'm talking temperatures, not seas. I do feel like if we had your boat where it is, we'd still take it out when the temps were in the 50's and even 40's. 30's might be a bit much.