Building a Nordhavn - again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think anyone considering a Nordhavn should read threads like yours. PAE did make mistakes with Cantoni but they won the suit and that tells you something about his case. He had built Nordhavn's before. One of the frequent references in his contract was "Like Westport." If I walked into Westport and said I wanted them to build like Nordhavn, they're throw me out and I mean that literally. The more Cantoni rants, the more I want to come to Nordhavn's side and ignore anything wrong they did.

Each builder has their way of working. I'd be totally a wreck by the delays you've encountered, but I absolutely know that is to be expected on a Nordhavn. I'd have to let someone else handle it for me. Nordhavn and Westport are both technically semi-custom as the hulls are standard models. However, in real spirit, Westport is a Production Yacht and Nordhavn more a custom Trawler. You select every piece of equipment on a Nordhavn. You move things around. You design along the way, not all in advance.

I offer these observations not as criticism of Nordhavn, but facts of a build. Incidentally, I know someone taking delivery of a Hatteras in December, 15 months late. I consider Hatteras a great company but dealing with their scheduling would really annoy me.

With Nordhavn you won't end up with a production boat. It will look like others but it will be very different inside. This boat will be your boat, your design, your preferences, your boat. Building another way you would be robbed of a lot of what you enjoy, your personal involvement in design, and your involvement in commissioning. You get real pleasure out of building. I build to get an end product. I'm getting a boat built right now but I have people there who work for me, rather than myself. We selected all arrangements and all interior details up front and that was our participation.

I'm reminded of N4061 building his Helmsman. Omg, if I was the builder, he would have driven me crazy with all his changes. However, it all made sense as he'd previously built Nordhavn's and was doing it similarly.

To everyone, know your builder and accept their methods of doing business, both strengths and weaknesses. They aren't going to change just for you. The vast majority of people who build Nordhavn's are very happy with them. They're pretty much an open book. They meet requirements like being a stable company and one with proven quantity. If they're late you shouldn't be surprised or angry. Just work to get them as soon as you can.

It reminds me a bit of people who get married and their spouse is exactly as they were when dating and they don't like it. You fell in love with them, married them for who they were, and divorce them for remaining who they are.

Know your builder and know yourself. I think you'll end up with an incredible boat and be very happy.

I think as you get into bigger boats it becomes more like commercial construction where design, planning, and project management are in whole different league. Whatever you pick, just be sure you know what you are getting into, and that it's a fit for you.

And in full disclosure, by boat is a year late, almost to the day. There was a pretty serious management problem at the yard, and a huge pile up ensued. But to PAE's credit, they forced the issue and a significant management change, and the results were amazing. The yard came back to life, and everything has been exactly on time ever since.

How exciting, She's almost here!

I think as you get into bigger boats it becomes more like commercial construction where design, planning, and project management are in whole different league. Whatever you pick, just be sure you know what you are getting into, and that it's a fit for you.

And in full disclosure, by boat is a year late, almost to the day. There was a pretty serious management problem at the yard, and a huge pile up ensued. But to PAE's credit, they forced the issue and a significant management change, and the results were amazing. The yard came back to life, and everything has been exactly on time ever since.

Was they delay due to the number of 68 orders they received in a short time (7ish?) I am guessing Covid would also have had some scheduling impact.

Was they delay due to the number of 68 orders they received in a short time (7ish?) I am guessing Covid would also have had some scheduling impact.

I actually don't think either were factors. The original schedules reflected normal build times, and Taiwan has kept their country virtually Covid-free. I think it was really a text book example of how a management problem can poison a company.

It flies!

Attachments

• PCH_2020-11-08_09-18_0667.jpg
    PCH_2020-11-08_09-18_0667.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 65
  • PCH_2020-11-08_09-19_0675.jpg
    PCH_2020-11-08_09-19_0675.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 59
  • PCH_2020-11-08_09-22_0689.jpg
    PCH_2020-11-08_09-22_0689.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 52
  • PCH_2020-11-08_09-35_0737.jpg
    PCH_2020-11-08_09-35_0737.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 68
Congrats on this important milestone!!!

Congrats. Very exciting.

Fantastic pictures! I love how in the last one it appears the worker is doing his best to hold up Tanglewood. Almost there...

Fantastic pictures! I love how in the last one it appears the worker is doing his best to hold up Tanglewood. Almost there...

And would you just look at how small he looks. Tanglewood is massive!

Peter, I am sipping and toasting this great advance with an excellent single malt.
I am toasting your great boat news, too!

That is one nice looking ship. Good luck and safe travels on it.

It flies!

Wow...this is whole process of yours is in a different league than I live in so hard to imagine. But, I do imagine that as it got to this stage I would have become so excited that I may have started swimming in that direction if they would not let me on a plane to go!

Good for you, and best of luck on the final legs of this.

Congratulations !

Hart attack time, driving that bad boy down the road, not sure i could watch! First time i hauled my boat out, i had a cold sweat for a bit.

Its pretty nice to see it come together, such a long process , crazy patience and determination, congradulations.

Sincere congrats TT. I’m sure Tanglewood will deliver! You’re a patient man....Twisted, but patient!:lol::thumb:

Thanks everyone. I'm anxiously awaiting more pictures, video, and drone footage, all of which are supposedly coming.

I actually don't think either were factors. The original schedules reflected normal build times, and Taiwan has kept their country virtually Covid-free. I think it was really a text book example of how a management problem can poison a company.
I just returned from a long overdue trip from Florida to Ensenada (5500 mile round trip drive) to view Weebles. Refit is running 12 months late, partially due to Covid shut down, but mostly due to awful project management. Granted, fraction of the scale of TTs project, but end effect is the same as the hiccups he experienced.

There is a big difference between going into a yard to have a couple things done, even large items such as a repower versus have a major refit (more accurately a restoration in my case) where there are multiple dependencies. Simple sequencing of tasks is often important.

Best to Tanglewood

Peter

I just returned from a long overdue trip from Florida to Ensenada (5500 mile round trip drive) to view Weebles. Refit is running 12 months late, partially due to Covid shut down, but mostly due to awful project management. Granted, fraction of the scale of TTs project, but end effect is the same as the hiccups he experienced.

There is a big difference between going into a yard to have a couple things done, even large items such as a repower versus have a major refit (more accurately a restoration in my case) where there are multiple dependencies. Simple sequencing of tasks is often important.

Best to Tanglewood

Peter

One of the top home builders in my home town averaged taking between 2 and 3 years on new builds but continued to quote 12 months. My parents home was started when our neighbor's home was nearly completed. My parents had a lower cost builder, neighbors had the prestigious one. Our house slightly larger than theirs. Ours was completely in four months. Theirs took 24.

The builder retained a great reputation until they built a 8000 sq ft home with incredible hardwood floors, but left it open and without climate control for months after the floors were installed. Major litigation as the cost to replace the floors was about $75,000. Yes, more than double the original cost of them as removal was more than installation.

These variations and mismanagement examples are definitely not limited to boats.

Whoa, are those built in boarding steps on the bow?

Can't wait to see this beauty at our home port - we'll be the ones ogling from a distance. Congratulations! :thumb:

Whoa, are those built in boarding steps on the bow?

Can't wait to see this beauty at our home port - we'll be the ones ogling from a distance. Congratulations! :thumb:

Yes, boarding steps. We will see how they work. Fingers crossed.

And don’t keep your distance, at least up to 6’. Stop on by if you like.

Boy they have power to close city streets like that. Wonderful to see them use the cradle not slings. The gel coat is untouched. Magnificent vessel.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom