Old 12-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #121
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
Any updates on the build?

Lots. I've just been too busy (lazy) to write them up. I have been in Taiwan this week for my 4th yard visit. The boat is progressing, but is horribly behind schedule. It's frustrating, but I knew this would happen so an just going with the flow and making sure I'm not the bottle neck on anything. My priority, and the reason I'm building new, is to get the boat I want. So that's my focus.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #122
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Peter, lemme know if the Admiral doesn't like the horn again. I call dibs!

Got any in-progress photos you can share?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 PM   #123
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Lots. I've just been too busy (lazy) to write them up. I have been in Taiwan this week for my 4th yard visit. The boat is progressing, but is horribly behind schedule. It's frustrating, but I knew this would happen so an just going with the flow and making sure I'm not the bottle neck on anything. My priority, and the reason I'm building new, is to get the boat I want. So that's my focus.
And this shows why you are a good candidate for building a 68' Nordhavn. They do run horribly behind schedule and they take as long building a 68' as some take building a 150'. But that's part of the deal and the way to get the boat you want. Best of luck to you and I know once you do get the boat, complete all the commissioning, you'll be extremely happy.

Just a reminder to others is that you must have reasonable expectations, not based on one's ideal world but based on the builder's norm and history.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #124
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Peter, lemme know if the Admiral doesn't like the horn again. I call dibs!

Got any in-progress photos you can share?

Not this time. :-). I checked the horn specs in advance.

And yes, I have hundreds of pictures.

Thanks everyone for the interest, and hopefully it will motivate me to get off my duff and do some updates.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #125
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Looking forward to seeing the progress on your boat.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #126
Guru

After an 18mo "pause" in my blogging, I finally got prodded into an update on this build. For a variety of reasons early progress was very slow, but now it's really cracking.

Here's the latest update Adventures of Tanglewood
Old 06-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #127

City: Houston / Ketchikan
Vessel Name: Backchuck
Vessel Model: 28' Crozier / Hunt
It's looking good!

Is it a two stateroom layout (plus bunk room) or is there a third
stateroom behind the wheelhouse?
Jon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #128
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon H View Post
It's looking good!

Is it a two stateroom layout (plus bunk room) or is there a third
stateroom behind the wheelhouse?

It's three staterooms, including the one with bunk beds. We did NOT include a so-called "Captain's Cabin" on the pilot house level. To get a usable cabin it scrunches down the PH space, and we didn't want to do that. When underway we have found the pilot house is like the proverbial kitchen during a party - everyone ends up hanging out there. So rather than a so-so cabin plus a compromised PH, we went for as much space as we could in the PH. The arrangement also allows for nearly 360 deg views from the PH.

So we can still sleep 6 people comfortably, and two can be crew in the bunk room if we ever get to that point. It's a good balance for us.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #129
Guru

City: Boston Area
Will you be keeping it in Gloucester ?
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #130
Guru

Quote:
It's three staterooms, including the one with bunk beds. We did NOT include a so-called "Captain's Cabin" on the pilot house level. To get a usable cabin it scrunches down the PH space, and we didn't want to do that. When underway we have found the pilot house is like the proverbial kitchen during a party - everyone ends up hanging out there. So rather than a so-so cabin plus a compromised PH, we went for as much space as we could in the PH. The arrangement also allows for nearly 360 deg views from the PH.

So we can still sleep 6 people comfortably, and two can be crew in the bunk room if we ever get to that point. It's a good balance for us.
I think that works out well if you reach the point later that you feel better having crew. The two of you, two guests, and crew, hopefully a crew that feels like friends. If more, then someone sleeps in the salon. Between recliners, sofas, and air mattresses can always work more in, especially kids.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 PM   #131
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think that works out well if you reach the point later that you feel better having crew. The two of you, two guests, and crew, hopefully a crew that feels like friends. If more, then someone sleeps in the salon. Between recliners, sofas, and air mattresses can always work more in, especially kids.

That's our thinking. 90% of the time it's just two of us on the boat, and 10% we have family or friends join us. We want to optimize for that, not the freak occasion when we need to rack and stack people. And if at some point we have help on board, it's much more likely to be a deck-hand or mate, and very unlikely to be a captain. The bunk room is small, but heck, it's a boat. But it does have an en-suite head so just fine for a crew member.

I've seen other 68s that were set up for people with lots of family and grand kids on board, so a lots of little cabins with awkwardly accessed beds. But fine, if not fun for little kids.

If you want a more fully crewed boat, the 68 isn't the right choice.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Will you be keeping it in Gloucester ?

No, it will be nomadic, just like the last boat. In fact we will bypass Mass altogether since stopping risks triggering use tax. But that's fine. We aren't buying it to explore Mass. We've already done that, plus have a local boat.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:40 PM   #133
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great to see the update, Peter! I've been wondering how you've been managing it from here during the COVID period. Quite the curve ball into the process!

Where are you now and where is she being delivered?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #134
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Good to see you and this massive Nordy back on track, Peter! I’m wondering if any changes in the build have come from having the extra time to mull over the details, features, etc..

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #135
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Great to see the update, Peter! I've been wondering how you've been managing it from here during the COVID period. Quite the curve ball into the process!

Where are you now and where is she being delivered?

Really the only impact Covid has had is preventing me from actually visiting the yard. Taiwan did an excellent job managing the pandemic with very few cases nation-wide, and none amount the yard employees. So there wasn't even a slow down on production. But part of that excellent job involved severe restrictions on foreigners entering the country, and a strict 14 day quarantine with daily health checks and a $30,000 fine for breaking quarantine. But it sure did work.

Other than restricting travel, having nothing else to do back home has actually helped. For about the past 3 months I have been working full time, 7 days a week on the boat. First it was finishing up the heating system design, getting all the parts and shipping them to the yard. Plus I made my own heating control system, so had to finalize the design, build, test, and ship it.

I also decided to handle the AC power switching using contactors and a PLC to control them instead a big rotary switches. The primary motivation was to provide load switching for generator automatic stop/start control, including backup power in case shore power fails. That requires a bunch of automatic switching of loads and power sources which is not a big deal if you have one shore power cord and one generator, like a home with backup generator. But when you have two shore power cords and two generators it becomes a lot more complicated. I finally decided to bite the bullet, use a stack of contactors, and control it all from a PLC. So I spent quite a bit of time on that and will write a full article on it at some point.

Then there was the general boat electrical plan which took about a month start to finish working with Nordhavn's engineer. Fortunately he and I had previously worked through most of the unique things I wanted to do, so the final process went pretty smoothly.

Then there has been an ongoing process of laying out equipment throughout the boat, mostly in the laz and engine room. But there is also the pilot house dash, monitors, and overhead panel. Some of those controls are part of the basic boat, but most of it is part of the electronics package which is done by a separate contractor Well, guess who the contractor is? So there was a process of designing the full electronics and AV package, getting a quote for per-installing at the yard, then buying and shipping everything.

And now I'm working on a related gadget to do station selection for the follow-up steering controls between the pilot house, fly bridge, and wing stations.

So I would have been locked up in the house for the past few months anyway, and am just thankful that I have had plenty to do. And through out all this, PAE (Nordhavn) and Ta Shing (the yard) have been fantastic to work with. Lots of pictures, and lots of CAD drawings which thankfully I can work with. Plus the yard is really good about asking when they are unsure about something, and making suggestions when they think there is a better way to do something.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:23 AM   #136
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Good to see you and this massive Nordy back on track, Peter! I’m wondering if any changes in the build have come from having the extra time to mull over the details, features, etc..

Yes, the yard is back to their full glory. It's great to see, and I'm really happy for the employees who derive such pride from their work.

To answer your question, no, I don't think the extra time has resulted in any changes, or at least none of any significance. So that's good.

What it has done is give me more time to do other things, and that has honestly been nice. We were looking forward to the gap between boats to catch up on house and other projects, all of which can start to feel a bit overwhelming when also spending 6mo or so boating. So we have been getting all caught up on maintenance and enhancements so we can feel more relaxed when we do get afloat again.

So although the project-person in my cringes at big delays in any project, it has really been just fine. Getting the boat I want is by far more important.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #137

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Thanks for sharing the process with us, it's fun to dream and follow along.

Btw, once you work out all the bugs and tire of that beautiful machine - feel free to trade with us so you can start on a new project!
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #138
Guru

City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Super-fine looking ship, Twisted Tree! Now it seems I have a better understanding of your avatar photo...
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #139
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Super-fine looking ship, Twisted Tree! Now it seems I have a better understanding of your avatar photo...

Oh, yes. I should update that....
Old 06-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #140
Guru

Quote:
Yes, the yard is back to their full glory. It's great to see, and I'm really happy for the employees who derive such pride from their work.
What, if anything, have you heard about the rest of their business, their orders, cancellations, buyers looking to sell boats being built?

I think the demographics of most of their buyers may somewhat protect them. It was on the 120 they got hurt badly last time. Still, worldwide, a lot of buyers wanting out, especially of more expensive boats, like your size and up.