Old 10-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #421
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, Fl
I add Marvel Mystery Oil to solve that.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Our old Alfas live on it. All our older collectibles use it. Itís really good stuff.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #422
Guru

Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I have made a habit of doing the same thing for many years and so far so good. I have a bottle of Stabil all ready for the tank but need to sort out a better funnel to pour it in.

Have you given any thought about an electric OB for your dingy?

Any recent trips with the boat you want to share?

John T
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:35 PM   #423
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Have you given any thought about an electric OB for your dingy?

Any recent trips with the boat you want to share?

John T

If I ever get a small dinghy, like a 9 or 10' model, I would definitely consider and electric motor. But for the main dinghy which is a 16' RIB, a gas outboard is much more practical.

Other than the trip from Seattle up to Sidney, BC, all we did was run up to Montegue Harbour and anchor for about a week. It was great to be away from docks, towns, and people and to enjoy the boat the way we like the most. It also let me start to get familiar with off grid operation, and to start adjusting chargers for optimum recharge. I should be able to recharge at around 500A, but the inverter/chargers are coming up about 50A short and I'm not sure why. I suspect it's heat de-rating, but I haven't had a chance to try blowing a fan over them to see if it helps. But overall the LFP battery system is working really well.

No other trips planned until after Thanksgiving...
Old 01-05-2022, 06:32 PM   #424
Guru

Update Please

It's been way too long since an update on the new boat. Any chance you can share what is new and a photo or two of the PH? Thanks

John T
Old 01-05-2022, 10:22 PM   #425
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
It's been way too long since an update on the new boat. Any chance you can share what is new and a photo or two of the PH? Thanks

John T

We have been on and off the boat, and got in some more anchoring time. But most time has been finishing up various projects, and dealing with some manufacturers over lingering equipment issues. Much has been finishing up my own projects around the electronics. My network and navigation computers was a bunch of stuff in a cabinet with extension cords, network cables, and power adapters. I now have most of that sorted out in it's final form, powered the way I want, and neatened up a bit. I still have a few things to finish, but it's come a long way. As part of it I rearranged about 1/2 dozen power circuits. When I specified them probably two years ago I had a particular arrangement in mind for the computers and network, but that has evolved, and triggered a bunch of changes. I've also been installing (in baby steps) external LTE antennas, and external WiFi antennas to improve reception from both types of service. Otherwise things are working well, and we are looking forward to really getting underway in the spring.

One modification I made to the boat are a set of toe pockets molded into the hull so you can climb to/from the dinghy from the fore deck where it is launched and retrieved. It was a very speculative change, and I got lots of good suggestions from people about how to set up grab handles. Of course by the time the railings were being made for the boat, I was locked out of Taiwan because of Covid, so I had to make my best guess on a couple of things. I had the hard send me three grab handles for each side (there are steps on both sides of the boat), to be located and installed during commissioning. We installed two as a starting point, and they actually worked pretty well. For a spry young man, zipping up and down is no trouble at all. For someone older and less spry (moi) I found that there was nothing good to hold onto up at the top, especially to pull your self up and over the side of the boat. So one project I have commissioning is a modification to the railings to integrated an arched handle like you would find at the top of a pool ladder. It's unfortunately that I wasn't able to visit the boat at the right time because I could have just had them build the railing this way in the first place. Oh well. Anyway, with this issue taken care of, I think the boarding steps will work really well.

As for pictures, below are a couple of the boarding steps. As for the PH, I have literally thousands of pictures of every detail of the boat, and pretty much nothing that steps back and shows anything in context.
Attached Thumbnails
PCH_2021-02-03_16-15_0620.jpg   PCH_2021-02-03_16-15_0621.jpg   PCH_2021-02-03_16-15_0622.jpg  
Old 01-06-2022, 07:09 AM   #426

City: West coast
I personally would be scared to use those toe pockets, especially with the overhanging curvature of the hull. Id be afraid if I slipped it would be a dangerous situation, falling and potentially hitting the back of your head on the tender getting knocked unconscious into the water.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:44 AM   #427
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I would not want to use those toe pockets, especially with the overhanging curvature of the hull. If one slipped, that would be a dangerous situation with one outcome potentially hitting the back of your head on the tender getting knocked unconscious into the water.

Any climbing up and down in that area carries such a risk, and there are dangers in riding up and down in the tender which is one of the alternative ways to do gain access. But I agree the curvature makes it harder and it was one of the concerns taking this approach. It ends up not being much of an issue because there is actually very little curvature at that point in the hull, and at the height where the steps are located. The hardest part of climbing it is pulling yourself up and over the bulwarks. Not ideal, but not really bad either. Also, if doing it again, I would make the step spacing a bit shorter. They are 16" which is a big step. It was just a tradeoff between the step height and how many pockets there would be. In the end you have to pick, and this is what I picked, for better or worse.

Speaking of for better or worse, the backup plan has always been to use a ladder as normally supplied by Nordhavn. They are just awkward, difficult to store, and difficult to install and remove. And you still have the issue of pulling yourself up and over the bulwarks. In talking to current owners, I found that almost none used the ladder. They either rode up and down with the tender, or climbed up and down the outside of the boat using window ledges as toe holds. My hope is that this will be an improvement on both of those, and so far I think it is.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #428

City: West coast
You’ve obviously given it great thought. I didn’t think of all the plus and minuses’ of the various alternatives. With Nordhavn’s attention to detail, I could imagine them putting in retractable steps - joking, I think! Or a ladder attached to the crane? I’m just used to the tender on an aft boat deck so I hadn’t thought of this before. I hope it works well for you! Beautiful boat.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #429
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Youíve obviously given it great thought. I didnít think of all the plus and minusesí of the various alternatives. With Nordhavnís attention to detail, I could imagine them putting in retractable steps - joking, I think! Or a ladder attached to the crane? Iím just used to the tender on an aft boat deck so I hadnít thought of this before. I hope it works well for you! Beautiful boat.

All my previous experience has also been with a tender on the back deck where none of this is an issue.
Old 01-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #430
Guru

Wow, talk about out of the box thinking with the steps. Nice concept and as discussed above "be safe". Curious how others with an aft PH and dingy forward design exit the dingy when it's time to retrieve it? Do you just walk the dingy from aft to forward using lines while onboard the Nordhavn? How would you attach the davit cable if you up on the mothership? thanks

John