Old 09-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #401

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: No mailing required. You test and then get the results sent to your email within minutes. Here is one example:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...pack?hsLang=en

You actually get a certified guide to guide you through the test. Digital certificate is loaded into the Navica App on your phone. Now some do require you to return samples. You're right though about looking into the various local requirements.
That is very interesting. Canada requires a PCR test so it wouldnít work in that direction, but it seems like it would satisfy the requirement for reentry to the US. That could considerably ease the inconvenience of testing in one direction of the trip, which would be great. Thanks for the tip.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #402
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Wifey B: No mailing required. You test and then get the results sent to your email within minutes. Here is one example:

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...pack?hsLang=en

You actually get a certified guide to guide you through the test. Digital certificate is loaded into the Navica App on your phone. Now some do require you to return samples. You're right though about looking into the various local requirements.

Only reason I'm familiar is we've used thousands in our businesses before ever using them on the water, then we used them in the Bahamas and they accepted them with no problem.

Good luck with all your going back and forth and hope you can get a lot of boating in.

One more question....oh god I sound like Colombo. But I'm not interrogating, just learning...what conditions do you still boat in or what conditions just enjoy time on the boat without going out? I'm talking temperatures, not seas. I do feel like if we had your boat where it is, we'd still take it out when the temps were in the 50's and even 40's. 30's might be a bit much.

Thanks for the test pointer. Thatís super helpful.

Re temps, really no limit. The boat is well heated so really no practical limit. You just spend less time outside, or wear more clothes. You just need to be careful if there is ice on the decks, or the docks for that matter.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:01 PM   #403
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

Heading south, there isn't much that appeals to us until you get to Baja, and that's not a good place for shake down cruising.
I'd show you some great California Delta anchorages if you stopped here along the way. What's your draft?

She'd look great under the GG Bridge!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:07 PM   #404
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
That is very interesting. Canada requires a PCR test so it wouldnít work in that direction, but it seems like it would satisfy the requirement for reentry to the US. That could considerably ease the inconvenience of testing in one direction of the trip, which would be great. Thanks for the tip.
Wifey B: You can get instant PCR as well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #405
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I'd show you some great California Delta anchorages if you stopped here along the way. What's your draft?

She'd look great under the GG Bridge!!

I'd love to explore the delta, but suspect 7.5' draft will really limit things. Yes, no?

Obviously not in this boat, but we've been in and out of SF bay a few times. Once leaving in absolute pea soup fog I kept hearing this fog horn getting closer and closer, yet nothing on AIS or radar. I was scared to death that I was missing something, and something big. And I was...the bridge. I never did find a note on the chart, and believe me, I was looking, but there is a mid-span fog horn that sounds like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:08 PM   #406
TF Site Team

I almost always anchor in 15-20 ft of water so 7.5' really isn't a problem. Lots of blowboaters with 6+ ft keels around these waters, too. There are deep water channels that are well marked. Outside the channel there are some shoals to be cautious of but it's just part of the great Delta adventure!!

Old 09-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #407
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I'd love to explore the delta, but suspect 7.5' draft will really limit things. Yes, no?

Obviously not in this boat, but we've been in and out of SF bay a few times. Once leaving in absolute pea soup fog I kept hearing this fog horn getting closer and closer, yet nothing on AIS or radar. I was scared to death that I was missing something, and something big. And I was...the bridge. I never did find a note on the chart, and believe me, I was looking, but there is a mid-span fog horn that sounds like Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
Only bridge we've ever gotten excited about going under. Just something special about it. Party atmosphere on board each time we did.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #408
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Only bridge we've ever gotten excited about going under. Just something special about it. Party atmosphere on board each time we did.
I used to row my single scull under there and then out 1.5 miles several times - we call it the washing machine. Tides matter. Hugged the shore. And wow are those ships faster than they seem! I learned that lesson trying to get to Alcatraz rowing and the container ship seemed so small and far away…until it wasn’t! My single was was designed for open water but it was 24’ long … and 14” beam at the waterline. (Maas 24). With a low volume cockpit with self bailing. Every boat looked huge to me, and those USCG Safeboats seemed to enjoy waking us.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:00 PM   #409
TF Site Team

I'm so fond of the Golden Gate Bridge that I carry a piece of it with me aboard FlyWright. This was a gift to me from fellow TFer, OMC, aka Olivier. I painted it with the exact paint used on the GG Bridge.

Thanks, Ollie!!
Attached Thumbnails
GG Bridge Bar2.jpg  

Old 09-28-2021, 07:01 PM   #410
Guru

Finally got underway today, but didn't go far. Got our Covid tests, picked up some last minute packages, returned the rental car, came out through the Ballard Lock, pulled into Shilshole Marine to fill the gasoline tank for the dinghy, waved to Pau Hana, then pulled into a slip for the night. Tomorrow we are off to Friday Harbor, and will see how the boat crosses the straight in 25 kt winds . Let the fun begin.....
Old 09-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #411
Guru

Do you carry spare gas for the dinghy?
Old 09-28-2021, 11:12 PM   #412
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Do you carry spare gas for the dinghy?

Yes, there's a built in 40 gal tank with pump and hose that will reach the dinghy on deck. That's standard equipment.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:15 PM   #413
Guru

Quote:
Yes, there's a built in 40 gal tank with pump and hose that will reach the dinghy on deck. That's standard equipment.
Thatís well thought out.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:39 AM   #414
Guru

Quote:
Thatís well thought out.

I've never had one before, but it beats the heck out of storing and handling several 5 gal jugs.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #415
Guru

Quote:
I've never had one before, but it beats the heck out of storing and handling several 5 gal jugs.
Certainly seems so! Might need to consider an additive if old gas stays there for too long.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #416
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Certainly seems so! Might need to consider an additive if old gas stays there for too long.
On the additive thing, for the boat, cars, lawn equipment, etc. I make a point to add stabilizer right at purchase to any gas I'm not sure will be burned within a month. Cheap insurance, and as long as the gas is stored well, having it last a year (or more) is no problem.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #417
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
On the additive thing, for the boat, cars, lawn equipment, etc. I make a point to add stabilizer right at purchase to any gas I'm not sure will be burned within a month. Cheap insurance, and as long as the gas is stored well, having it last a year (or more) is no problem.

I have made a habit of doing the same thing for many years and so far so good. I have a bottle of Stabil all ready for the tank but need to sort out a better funnel to pour it in.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #418
Guru

Quote:
I have made a habit of doing the same thing for many years and so far so good. I have a bottle of Stabil all ready for the tank but need to sort out a better funnel to pour it in.
Be especially careful if the gas has ethanol in it, which most US gas has. It decomposes into a gummy substance. I have to have carbs (yes carbs; old cars) cleaned if they sit unused for a few months. I add Marvel Mystery Oil to solve that.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #419

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
In Washington State most fuel docks sell ethanol free gas and the Shilshole fuel dock where Twisted filled up is one of them. That differently helps with storage issues. Hauling jerry cans gets old fast so that onboard fuel tank must be a welcome feature.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #420
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Be especially careful if the gas has ethanol in it, which most US gas has. It decomposes into a gummy substance. I have to have carbs (yes carbs; old cars) cleaned if they sit unused for a few months. I add Marvel Mystery Oil to solve that.

Keep the fuel dry and stabilized and it helps a lot. And if you're going to let anything sit for more than about a month, flood the carb with fogging oil at shutdown. That seems to keep things from gumming up and corroding, as everything is coated in oil to reduce air exposure.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote