Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Looking really big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Looking good this evening!

Tanglewood to all the other boats in the marina: ‘I think we all know who’s in charge here.’
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #362
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Tanglewood to all the other boats in the marina: ‘I think we all know who’s in charge here.’
Wifey B: Small boat with outboard hearing Tanglewood's remark, "Wanna race? Just 10 miles."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #363
Guru

City: Vermont
Ha, my tender will do circles around the boat. I think we will close on it in the next week or so. Just a few loose ends. And it has actually been 3+ years. I think 2 years is more typical for build plus commissioning, and this was a solid year late on the build side. The salon repairs were a huge project, but it wasn't the critical path for completing commissioning. Those repairs have been done for quite a while now.
Old 09-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #364
Guru

And there are some MUCH bigger boats here. It is just squeezed into a VERY tight spot. I didn't see it, but there were apparently only inches to spare when it was brought in.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:51 PM   #365
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Glad to see you’re made whole and going cruising.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #366
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
One of my favorite boat items is the Kahlenberg horn that I bought from Peter off the previous Tanglewood, N60. IIRC, his wife wanted a bigger horn...who would argue that??

I sure don't have the largest boat in my marina but I sound much bigger than I am.

You definitely want hearing protection on the port fwd deck when it sounds.

I'm hoping we get some dink pics, too, Peter!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #367
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
One of my favorite boat items is the Kahlenberg horn that I bought from Peter off the previous Tanglewood, N60. IIRC, his wife wanted a bigger horn...who would argue that??

I sure don't have the largest boat in my marina but I sound much bigger than I am.

You definitely want hearing protection on the port fwd deck when it sounds.

I'm hoping we get some dink pics, too, Peter!!

The new boat has an even better horn than the one I put in the last boat :-)
Old 09-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #368
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
No video, no proof...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:53 PM   #369

City: Duvall, WA
Quote:
Two words: what model?
pjtemplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 12:29 AM   #370
Guru

City: West coast
This process is food for thought, as obviously Nordhavn has a superb reputation snd loyal owners. I wonder if this same process is true for a Fleming but I assume the after delivery aspects will be much less as it’s less custom. If not, a slightly used one seems the best way (especially considering the time from order to delivery).
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 08:55 AM   #371
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtemplin View Post
Two words: what model?

It's a Kahlenberg D2 horn
Old 09-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #372
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
This process is food for thought, as obviously Nordhavn has a superb reputation snd loyal owners. I wonder if this same process is true for a Fleming but I assume the after delivery aspects will be much less as it’s less custom. If not, a slightly used one seems the best way (especially considering the time from order to delivery).

I think each builder is a little bit different. And I think your observation is correct about time vs degree of customization. Some builders deliver a very turn-key boat, more so with smaller boats, but not always. Others leave more to the buyer's choice, or are happy to let the buyer choose if they want. Nordhavn will deliver a very complete boat if that's what you want. The N68 after ours arrived later and was done and gone in 6 weeks.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:11 PM   #373
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I think each builder is a little bit different. And I think your observation is correct about time vs degree of customization. Some builders deliver a very turn-key boat, more so with smaller boats, but not always. Others leave more to the buyer's choice, or are happy to let the buyer choose if they want. Nordhavn will deliver a very complete boat if that's what you want. The N68 after ours arrived later and was done and gone in 6 weeks.
And this reinforces the need to fully discuss all aspects up front. Know your builder. Know yourself. Be honest and thorough with your builder. We were building about the same time Twistedtree was. We had someone on site for the entire year of the build. However, when we went for the delivery, the boat was complete, everything done, ready to cruise. We did a 2 week, turned into 3 week, shakedown cruise with a factory employee on board and did any adjustments during it, then returned it for checking everything and oil change and such. Twisted customized nearly everything imaginable. We customized the living area but we chose all equipment up front and the vast majority is what they always put in this model.

Two completely opposite ways to do it and we're both very happy with the process and the results.

Taking that a step further, I'd not enjoy the TwistedTree approach and I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't like the less creative approach we took. But then why would that be surprising when we chose boats as opposite as possible.

Major warning. Do not coerce a builder to try to get them to be something they are not. We had a guy here and elsewhere who sued Nordhavn over the 120. He basically sued because they didn't do it like Westport, all on a precise schedule, all the same finish. They were desperate and agreed to do so but clearly never paid attention to those contract clauses. Oh, and Nordhavn won the suit completely. Similarly, don't go to Westport and try to change everything. They'd wish you well on your way out.

A very good builder of larger boats was Burger. They agreed to do a bunch of things they'd never done on a gorgeous boat names "Sea Owl." The boat was to be built as the most secure ever with all bullet proof windows and electronics and many other things. It was a year or more late due to the builder and due to customer supplied items not being ready. All in all a big mistake. The owner actually started a contract on a new build before it was ever complete and this "Sea Owl" was build by Feadship. They have the experience and versatility.

Don't expect a Ranger to be built like a Hatteras. Add that much weight though and you'd really be disappointed in one.

There are many ways to do it, but find a way that works for you and the builder and where you both can do your part. One thing, even with the builder who delivers turn key, is a lot of choices and decisions along the way and if you aren't prepared to make all on time, don't do it. On a semi-custom to be delivered ready to cruise, there are literally hundreds of items. Many decisions remain, just are made at different stages of the process. We chose watermakers and generators just like Twistedtree, just did so in time for builder to install them. We didn't get a choice on engines or thrusters or stabilizers or interceptors.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #374
Guru

And, it's done. We closed today, and the boat is ours. We will surely accumulate a warranty list over the next year, but things are looking really solid right now. It looks like we will get a few weeks of island hopping in before settling into Port Sidney as a winter base.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #375
Guru

That’s really awesome. It must feel great.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #376
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
And, it's done. We closed today, and the boat is ours. We will surely accumulate a warranty list over the next year, but things are looking really solid right now. It looks like we will get a few weeks of island hopping in before settling into Port Sidney as a winter base.
Congratulations!
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #377
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
You'll enjoy the company of many Nordhavns in the Sidney area. We were at the Sidney boat show today, it was pretty crowded with a 90' OA being the biggest boat. At Van Isle we are graced with about a dozen Ns.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:22 PM   #378
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, Fl
Congrats to Twisted😃. I know I’d be all twisted if we had to go through that.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:16 PM   #379

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
Congratulations on getting it done! October can still be pretty nice so maybe you'll get some nice weather while you island hop.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 06:20 AM   #380
Guru

Once again congrats, and thank you for sharing your journey.

I enjoyed rereading this thread, and how the lessons learned apply to my situation. I’m contemplating ordering a new Fleming 65 which are several years out (or maybe trying to find a recent vintage one). I don’t need customization beyond deciding which cabin layout I truly prefer. My use isn’t blue water but just coastal trips, not living aboard but only a week to three at a time seasonally. I wonder about taking along a cook/help and how that would work. So the discussion of cabins was interesting.