Old 12-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #261

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Why is that Nordy scowling?

Try to contain your excitement this morning and have a safe cruise to your home port.
w8n4sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:04 PM   #262
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4sun View Post
Why is that Nordy scowling?

Well, I can tell you why.

The good news is that we got the boat down to Seattle without any drama. The batteries were a bit flat and could start the generator and wing engine, but we had to run a charger for a while to get the main started. Then some fussing around to figure out how everything works, and we were off.

But when we stepped on the boat, it was clear there was a different, unexpected problem. The salon was packed full of stuff, boxed, padded, tied, etc. Probably a couple thousand pounds of lead ballast for trimming the boat, radar parts, inside and outside tables, chairs, pedestals, spare parts, etc. It's a lot of stuff, which is pretty normal, I think the inventory listed around 100 boxes.

Well, it got loose, and if ever there were a lesson in how much damage loose stuff can do in a boat, this was it. The salon wood work is pretty much completely destroyed everywhere below the windows. Walls are smashed in, doors smashed and ripped off, dents and dings everywhere, and the floor is ruined too. Lead ballast bricks were everywhere, spare plumbing fittings. Even the cast iron grates for the stove were smashed to bits. The 8' radar antenna which was not installed for safe keeping, was literally ripped in half.

We got the mess cleaned up, and did a first inventory of boxes noting which are clearly damaged. Tomorrow we start a more in depth inventory and start coming up with a plan to fix it.

Sigh....
Old 12-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #263
Guru

City: Las Vegas
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Oh man! I’m sure the damage can be repaired but what a bummer. Congrats on finally getting her, albeit a little rougher than planned. Oh well, you didn’t have anything else to do over the holidays right?
Those Nordie folks will make it right though.

Cheers Buddy!
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #264
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Hmm, PAE are not novices at shipping boats. Must have been quite a storm the ship went through. They might think about packing the stuff properly into a regular shipping container next time, it will be a lot cheaper for them!

Real bad luck for you though. Their commissioning process is long enough without the list of repairs needed from the damage you outlined. At least you have the boat in 'home' waters now, and I suppose for 2020 that's an achievement not to be taken lightly. May all the work go as fast as possible without compromising the finished results!
Old 12-23-2020, 11:14 PM   #265
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Oh no... I did not see that coming.

What a kick in the nuts.

Best of luck with the repairs and commissioning. I hope it's a big step in a smoother direction.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:17 PM   #266

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
So sorry to hear of all the damage. For sure it can all be fixed, and hopefully without a big delay in your cruising plans. Best of luck for a rapid recovery.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:33 AM   #267
Guru

Vessel Name: Kaos
Vessel Model: Symbol 55 Pilothouse
Aww that's bad news about all of the stuff getting loose in the salon. Hoping that no structural damage occurred and that PAE can get it fixed quickly and with the same quality they had when they built it!
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:45 AM   #268
Guru

We will get it sorted out. But as Dave says, it's a kick in the nuts for sure

On a brighter note, she's looking good....
Attached Thumbnails
PCH_2020-12-23_18-21_0032.jpg  
Old 12-24-2020, 12:46 AM   #269
Guru

Vessel Name: Kaos
Vessel Model: Symbol 55 Pilothouse
Beautiful!
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:49 AM   #270
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Well sh$t. So sorry to hear that.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #271
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
So sorry to hear that. We were warned about that possibility before we shipped our boat so had everything put away like you would do for a passage. You were in different circumstances with stuff not yet installed. When our last boat was built and then shipped from mainland China to Norfolk VA for initial commissioning had a separate shipping container. A separate long frame to contain the mast and rigging was shipped to the commissioning yard from a US supplier. Electronic spaces and wiring were rough fitted but not shipped to China. Rather instillation occurred stateside by manufacturers certified installers so there were no warranty issues. Of course didn’t sign off and accept the vessel until I had help going through her and making sure everything worked and there was no shipping damage that would bite me in the butt down the road.
Keep your chin up. This too will past. Might want an independent survey after PAE fixes everything before signing off. She’s an amazing vessel. Given you’re positioned to afford her and obviously quite knowledgeable I’m sure you already know how to handle this bump in the road. Has PAE committed to a time frame to get her right? Got to be frustrating for her to be so close but yet far away. As said in My Little Chickadee” She’s so new she hasn’t been unwrapped yet”. You will definitely be luckier than Fields was with Mae West. It’s on them to get her right and make her the perfect boat she is.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #272
Guru

Thanks for all the encouragement. It's a real pain, and heartbreaking to look at, but it will get fixed, so I'm not worried about that. And we have a good 2 months worth of commissioning anyway, so I will be pushing to have it all repaired in that time frame so it doesn't impact when we get underway.

For the next few days we will all be in assessment mode surveying the full extend of damage, then coming up with a plan to fix it all. Today I need to open all the boxes to see with certainty what came through OK and what broke. Some is obvious from the outside, but other things need to be checked. And then I need to get a good look behind the caved in walls to check for damage to plumbing, wiring, and the FRP house structure.
Old 12-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #273
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
My heart goes out to you, Peter! Makes me feel bad for even bringing up the bent horn trumpet years ago!! I hope you make out as well...and then some!

Cheers and Merry Christmas to you and yours!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #274

You have a great attitude about this not so pleasant surprise. Hang in there and here’s to an efficient and smooth resolution. She looks pretty!
Old 12-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #275
Guru

Delivery

TT, sorry to hear about the salon damage but as you said it can be repaired. I’m sure PAE will take care of you on this once everything has been evaluated. Possibly PAE can arrange for the carpenters who performed the original wood work to fly over with matching wood to handle the repairs? PAE arranged something similar for us when they flew in a few technicians from the yard to repair about four boats with window frame corrosion. On the positive side you have the new boat and will be starting your next adventure soon. Best of luck and congratulations on a beautiful boat which for many of us is only a dream.

John T.
N4050, N4061, N3522. . Former Owners
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #276
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
I'm so sorry to hear about this! I can't imagine the disappointment of waiting and planning your perfect boat, only to arrive looking like someone let a bull loose inside it.

Do they even have craftsmen and materials that will be able to match the fit and finish of the rest of the vessel? Mechanical damage seems straightforward but this kind of thing seems incredibly difficult to make right. It breaks my heart thinking about the process in front of you to finally get this back to whole. I admire your attitude and acceptance of the situation. My fingers are crossed for a good and speedy resolution.

BD
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #277
Guru

Thanks everyone.

We got through all the boxes and inventoried the damage, and while doing so got the salon mostly cleared out so now we can really detail the joinery damage.

Dan Streech (Nordhavn president) called me first thing in the AM and we are all on the same page to get this fixed, including Ta Shing who are of course horrified this happened. It will still be several days before there is any clear plan of attack for the repairs, but at least the assessment is done and we can move on to all the other commissioning projects.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #278

Great to hear. Move forward and hopefully not too much delay with getting replacement parts of course correcting all the damage. Fingers crossed for a smooth commissioning.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #279
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
How disappointing, after all the eager anticipation for over two years, to walk on board, into what should be, for that boat, its pièce de résistance, only to find it trashed by stupidity, in stowing stuff in there that should never have been allowed near it. Surely a separate container, as mentioned by someone else, would be the way to go for this kind of stuff. That, or store it securely stowed in the generous tender garage/lazaret which these boats do have..?
Old 12-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #280
Guru

Any updates you care to share with us at this time including "how" the yard was able to ship the boat without taking the proper care to tie everything down? How was the rest of the boat and its systems? As well built as the Nordhavn's are I would think any damage is limited to the wood work and nothing more. On a positive note this may be an opportunity to make any "tweaks" you were thinking about to the salon layout even if they are small. Looking forward to seeing photos up the refinished salon and magnificent boat.

John T.
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote