Nordic tugs 37 wet keel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packer fan

Veteran Member
Does the Nordic tugs 37 have a wet keel?

Just curious because I thought I heard that somewhere. If it does I would think when pulling it out of the water it would drain for a while.

Mine does not drain any water when hauled out, other than a small amount from the stern tube (cutlass bearing) for a short while. I have never heard this, where did you?

Thanks for the reply,
It was from a guy that I spoke to who has been maintaining a NT42. It seemed a little odd. And when I just looked at a NT 37 that I am about to buy I had it hauled out and didn't notice a bunch of water coming out. I was wondering if the hole into the wet keal was plugged. Now it makes more sense. It doesn't have one.

Thanks

Isn’t “flooded keel” the expression .....

They are built just like American Tugs I think. They do not have an intentionally flooded keel, but the keel area is sealed on top, and not necessarily perfectly (holes in it for mounting various things). It is not at all uncommon to have water in there. The boat manuals even address this, should pump it out or put in antifreeze if winterizing. In both of these brands, there is a long shaft log with cutlass bearings at both ends which holds some water, but as it is built with a continuous piece of fiberglass tube, it is unlikely to be the source of leaks into the keel.

My understanding is that the holding tank is a portion of the keel that is glassed in. That is what I was told when buying my NT37. I think it is about 40 gallons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom