Old 06-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #41
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Benthic2,
Of course realize other things may influence the boat’s survival. Is it a snap roll or a slow roll. The duration of the roll being a biggie. Then tack on load shifting too. You and I would both find out just how much crap will fall out of the cabinets and become deadly missiles.
Generally speaking, the boat will survive far more than you and I because we aren’t strapped down to anything solid. LOL

Old 06-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #42
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Dan,
Being designed by the same person, and having similar hulls, I would expect that American and Nordic Tugs would perform similarly (given similar loading, etc.). I have been out in mine when we had over 25 knots true wind, (wind instrument read 34 knots apparent sustained) but the seas were not bad for that wind speed and we were able to get in and anchored in about 1 hour or so. The wind was mostly on the nose, and the boat performed fantastic. The times we have had to deal with waves on the beam, not so much fun!

However, unless you are put together differently than me, I do have a reasonable mass around the middle section to help with my balance During Covid, it appears I might be concerned about my ballast, as I think I might have added a couple of pounds!

Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #43
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Well, they are both great boats and have a common heritage as you know. Regional and condition differences make a direct comparison difficult as I said. The AT34 is quite a bit bigger boat than the NT32, and the AT39 is a little bigger boat than the NT37 which makes comparisons even more difficult. When we were looking in 2018, there were a couple of NT37 for less than the available AT34 - but I don't remember the years. A more direct comparison would be between the AT41 and NT42, the AT seems to have higher asking prices in the same years. There is a lot to like about both of these brands.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #44
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Thanks. My interest was purely academic as I would think the AT34 would be an extremeley capable boat, but a 45 degree roll didn't seem all that extreme. Thanks for the response.
I tried to quantify the roll using an artificial horizon (AHRS) and was surprised at how little roll there was, when things began to fly. 12 degrees to each side is enough to have to grab everything loose on the counter. Even on a sailboat 45 deg heel is a lot. One of the things that makes the motoryacht roll seem worse is the roll rates and accelerations are quicker than a sailboat.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 PM   #45
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
True enough about the rolls. 45 degree heel on even a sailboat would be lots! (more than I would like). If I remember right, when we had ours over at about 30 degrees, that started to bury the rail and was not very efficient as far as sailing speed goes.

DDW,
You are correct, both brands are good boats, and personal preference (generally in small differences) or just availability could be the deciding factor. Regional factors can have a considerable difference in pricing. When I was looking at the AT 34's, they were definitely less expensive in Florida compared to Washington.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #46
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
The survivability of the AT's roll is dictated by 2 things, the non-baffled engine room vents on the side of the hull and how much water you get into the engine room. This is of course ignoring the fuel and water load plus all the crap we manage to squeeze into the hull. Also, ignoring the how much stuff we put on the upper deck too.

Some place I have a letter from Kurt when we discussed survivability. If I ever find it, I will post it.
In reality, the boat will take more punishment and recover than you and I. Gotta put in a seat belt LOL