What is the story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KK42 New York

I actually flew from California to see her. Literally broke my heart to see this boat in this condition. It will be a labor of love to restore her as every square inch needs to be repaired, restored, replaced. I put in two offers but they were rejected. It's a much bigger project than Sealife in my opinion. But it's a KK42. Fully restored it's worth quite a bit. I hope someone restores her. She doesn't even have a name.

Wow...it's like walking past a dark alley at night and barely recognizing an old high school buddy shooting up in the shadows.

Oh, and welcome aboard to the two of you :thumb:

Wow, what a job for whoever buys this one. Windows have been leaking, mast looks like it snapped off, i would be suspicious of the teak decks, fuel tanks are probably ready for replacement, hull needs work and painting and the electronics are way out of date. Don’t really know how representative the photos are or not, it may be worse than the photos show. There could easily be in excess of $100,000 to be spent on this one.

Yes your right on all those things. I was budgeting about $130k to $150k to restore. But I was hoping to come in way less by doing everything I could myself. Also budgeting 2 years full time on her. Hoping to end up with something close to Sealife. But didn't happen. I'm in contract with Georgia Girl hull 16 at the moment. Hoping to close very soon.

Yes your right on all those things. I was budgeting about $130k to $150k to restore. But I was hoping to come in way less by doing everything I could myself. Also budgeting 2 years full time on her. Hoping to end up with something close to Sealife. But didn't happen. I'm in contract with Georgia Girl hull 16 at the moment. Hoping to close very soon.
I was checking out Georgia Girl yesterday on YW . If she’s anything like the pictures she’s nice . Good luck on your purchase .

I'm super happy with Georgia Girl. She's had a ton of work done and is super solid. I'm grateful I got her under contract. The current owner is a really great guy. As soon as the survey Is complete we can close. And I'll be a very happy guy.

I looked at this boat in depth (it's very close to me). I won't say much because I don't want to be unfair, the pictures are accurate and Selidster is accurate, but there is a lot more to this boat not shown in those pictures (isn't that always the case?).

Yes everything costs way more than you initially estimate. I do love working on my boat but there is a limit. And if you hire the work out it ends way over budget. And it also usually does not get done correctly.

Yes everything costs way more than you initially estimate. I do love working on my boat but there is a limit. And if you hire the work out it ends way over budget. And it also usually does not get done correctly.
I agree with this 100 percent. The work is getting harder for me to do and it takes me 3 or 4 times longer that it used to or I think it should take . But I still love it. Even working on the boat is a great way to pass time.

Wondering of anyone has any info on this Kadey-Krogen 42 for sale in New York? Certainly seems to be a bit of project boat?

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1981-krogen-42-103428076/?refSource=standard listing

Thanks N.S.Millett

I’m speechless. It’s missing doors, hinges ripped off, it looks like the original starboard pilot house door is missing, where are the two pilot house chart drawers, the water damage, and Espar mounted on the counter in the 2nd stateroom, what is that about? Wow!

I looked at another 1981, in better shape, before we bought Hobo (2007) that could have been had for less money. To bring this one back, you’d have to be a shipwright, plumber, electrician and .... I’d hate to see her junked but I’d also hate e someone buy her with stars in their eyes.

Having done three total rebuilds similar to that I can tell you that your estimate is not far off if you work 16hrs/day, seven days a week.

Thanks for information

After having refurbished a number of smaller power and sailboats myself i wondered what the general consensus would be? I suppose my real question was how does a boat as sought after as a KK-42 end up in such a neglected state? There are multiple disasters in every photo and these are photos of what they wanted you to see? A broken mast really? And yes, what about that Espar heater in the smaller stateroom?

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks on this boat.

Anyone else having trouble viewing that boat? I can't get past 3 pictures without everything locking up.

Anyone else having trouble viewing that boat? I can't get past 3 pictures without everything locking up.

I could see all of the photos, but then decided that I shouldn’t have looked at all of them...

Just looked at it . It’s a project for sure . I’m crazy and 10 years ago I probably would have gone for it and done the best I could for my kind of use (river travel) but now it would finish me off .

Last edited:
The real story (not the one in the ad) breaks my heart. It takes a lot of care to reverse that amount of damage/neglect. This is one time the pictures don't tell a 1000 words.

I hope she goes to someone who really wants to do something with her, I'd sure love to...

Selidster, you are lucky... Georgia girl looks well taken care of...

I like project boats. I like cosmetic nightmares. I have a good eye for knowing what things cost and I can easily do my own work.

In regards to this KK42. First at $70,000 it’s not cheap. If everything was old, tired and dirty, then I would think it was cheap(you can find average condition KK42’s for $100,000 to $125,000).

If we assume the decks are not soft, the engine is in average condition and your labor is free. Then I see $50,000 in expenditures.

With all the water damage I see, the decks and walls must have serious rot in them. This doesn’t add much in the way of dollars but the additional labor and time required is significant. Time costs you moorage or storage.

Now with all the abuse i’m Seeing it’s hard to believe the engine and tranny are in good working order.

Some one who has little money but a monthly income might be willing to pay $25,000 for it. They could justify it by living on it while doing the repair work out of pocket.

A rough life for sure. Not sure the investment, even if bought on the cheap would be worth it in this particular case.

This could be a good opportunity to own a kk if the buyer has time to do a proper restoration, and of course the funds and the skills.
However not at that price tag, don't see this more than 15k, nothing is in proper order, need to ear out all interior and replace panels etc... A heck of a job.

But look at what is doing Hendo, it is on another level of involvement so with motivation and passion this one can result in a great project, again no at that price.

L

In regards to this KK42. First at $70,000 it’s not cheap. If everything was old, tired and dirty, then I would think it was cheap(you can find average condition KK42’s for $100,000 to $125,000).

If we assume the decks are not soft, the engine is in average condition and your labor is free. Then I see $50,000 in expenditures.

With all the water damage I see, the decks and walls must have serious rot in them. This doesn’t add much in the way of dollars but the additional labor and time required is significant. Time costs you moorage or storage.

Now with all the abuse i’m Seeing it’s hard to believe the engine and tranny are in good working order.

Some one who has little money but a monthly income might be willing to pay $25,000 for it. They could justify it by living on it while doing the repair work out of pocket.

Spot on, and you know what they say about assumptions. It will take a lot more than 50k, I've estimated 140k. And whose labor is truly free? Free of money exchange maybe, but time is precious, this would have to be a labor of love.

Yeah, it was locking up on me too.

In my previous days, I would not have been afraid to take this one on assuming I could buy the boat at a good price. However now I don’t think that I would have the stamina to finish it. I can’t work the really long hours I used to. That would be the reason I would walk away from it at any price.

In my previous days, I would not have been afraid to take this one on assuming I could buy the boat at a good price. However now I don’t think that I would have the stamina to finish it. I can’t work the really long hours I used to. That would be the reason I would walk away from it at any price.
That’s my thoughts exactly.
If I had it I wouldn’t try to bring it back to pristine condition because I’m not capable but I think I could’ve brought it back to an ok kk42 and that would be fine with me .20k at most is probably all it’s worth. If I was retired hmm ?? no no no no no no no get this out of your head :banghead::banghead:

There is a good chance the composite hull will require some major work. About 10 years ago a former TFite, Keith (RIP), did a peel on his KK 42 for around $25K.

Spot on, and you know what they say about assumptions. It will take a lot more than 50k, I've estimated 140k. And whose labor is truly free? Free of money exchange maybe, but time is precious, this would have to be a labor of love.

I agree with you, Lou and Comodave. Even being a KK42, it’s not special enough to invest the amount of time and money it’s going to take.

On this boat I would assume the decks are soft and the hull is wet from the photos or lack there of. If the photos they posted are the selling photos? The one I looked at had 6 decks beams rotted at the ends as a result of the 6” plywood deck squares gone soft under the teak decks. The hull is cored on the KK42. I know of another KK42, newer year, spent north of 25k recoring the hull only.

Edit: Sunchaser: I didn’t see you post. Yup and I was being conservative on the numbers on another KK42. The KK42 model had cored hulls till the ~1993.

Last edited:
On this boat I would assume the decks are soft and the hull is wet from the photos or lack there of. If the photos they posted are the selling photos? The one I looked at had 6 decks beams rotted at the ends as a result of the 6” plywood deck squares gone soft under the teak decks. The hull is cored on the KK42. I know of another KK42, newer year, spent north of 25k recoring the hull only.

Larry, i’d also assume that zinc’s haven’t been kept up and that there are some running gear issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom