Transporting Gasoline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manatee

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Overtime
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee
I have a Honda generator and an outboard motor on the dinghy both requiring gasoline, where is the best place to store it? Don't want it on the lower deck and a spill on the upper deck could be a serious blow to an otherwise good day. I'm thinking of keeping the containers in the dink but that would mean no cover for the dink. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Upper deck in a dock box fixed to the deck. The dock box we installed has partitions to keep the two gas containers I have upright and stable.

It is difficult on our Krogen 42 to tie the gas can to the railings as is done on sailboats.

Sure a gasoline spill is dangerous.....ever have a major one?

In 50+ years of messing around with canisters of fuel, I haven't had one. That includes 13 yeas of assistance towing carrying 3 containers of gas and 2 diesel. Passing them back and forth between small boats with people who probably shouldn't be allowed to operate scisdors, let alone a boat.

Use good containers as secure them...no big deal. If necessary, double tank them like Bay suggested...a sturdy liquid proof box well secured.

Have absorbent pads ready for any spill, clean them up quickly and ventilate. Spills don't always mean fire and explosion...manage those risks...don't be afraid.

Without actually looking at your boat or at least a few photos, I cant suggest specifically where to store it. Ever see a cruising sailboat? Many have a half dozen or more five gallon fuel containers strapped to the rail on the deck.

Use quality containers made for fuel and replace them when they begin to deteriorate. Remember that gasoline vapors are heavier than air so don't store them where vapors could enter your boat or especially the bilge. Don't store gasoline anywhere near a possible source of ignition or spark.

I store one gallon of gasoline in my boat's open cockpit. Any fumes will either blow away or drain through the cockpit drains. There are no fumes though. The container is in good condition.

Keep ours on the fly bridge, well secured but open to the air.

The PO of my boat kept a small gas can in an under seat storage space on the flybridge. Those compartments have a drain to the outside. I never would have worried about it. Maybe I should think more carefully?

I had a fuel cap on an outboard motor tank, vibrate loose during a crossing in 7' seas. The tank was in the dingy on the roof. Fuel splashed out of the tank, into the dingy, out the drain plug hole, and all over the back deck. Considered a number of options to avoid a repeat. Propane outboard was the winning solution. No more gasoline on the boat.

Ted

We have 3-5 gallon jugs plus the 2.5 gallon tank in the dinghy. The 3 jugs are tied to the upper deck's stanchions or life lines. I overfilled one a few years ago and the small amount lost went over the side. Other than that we've never had any issues. Any gas transfers are done on the swim platform.

Lena made the covers for UV protection.

We use the dinghy for fishing and exploring and we can go through 10-12 gallons easily in a week. :)

Attachments

• gas tank storage.jpg
    gas tank storage.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 188
I have a large Igloo cooler secured on the FB that holds 2 5-gallon cans and 2 2-gallon cans. This cooler top is snapped closed and covered with a canvas tarp. The area surrounding the cooler is SS rail and canvas so there's plenty of ventilation. Even if every can ruptured, the cooler could easily contain the spill.

Please don't chastise me for this,cause I never actually looked into it,but do they make diesel outboards.I know you can get diesel jet propulsion tenders,but outboards?I know they would be big bucks,and the smallest tender for the jets that I have seen is 16 ft.,but this would solve a lot of the above questions.

Been running since late April with 10 gallons of fuel on the boat deck (fly bridge) secured to the railing with those orange ( and other color) twisty, malleable metal things..zero problems.

Please don't chastise me for this,cause I never actually looked into it,but do they make diesel outboards.I know you can get diesel jet propulsion tenders,but outboards?I know they would be big bucks,and the smallest tender for the jets that I have seen is 16 ft.,but this would solve a lot of the above questions.

Yes, they do. However, they really haven't been very successful and aren't a good match for tenders due to their weight.

Since you commented on jets, just a word there on diesel vs. gas. Williams has one model that comes in diesel and gas. It is their 445, 14'10". The gas version weighs 959 lbs and reaches 53 mph with 120 hp. The diesel version weighs 1852 lbs and reaches 40 mph with 110 hp. In larger tenders the diesel makes a lot of sense. However, in a boat that is limited to a 15' tender, that boat isn't likely to be able to handle that much weight well.

By comparison on the boat we're using for the loop, we're using model 385, which is 12'6". It weighs 794 lbs and runs 53 mph with 120 hp. We don't run it at that speed and with a full load it won't run it. However, it planes quickly and handles 4 people or a maximum of 5 well.

So, whether outboard or inboard, on a moderately sized tender, weight is the issue with diesel.

I had a fuel cap on an outboard motor tank, vibrate loose during a crossing in 7' seas. The tank was in the dingy on the roof. Fuel splashed out of the tank, into the dingy, out the drain plug hole, and all over the back deck. Considered a number of options to avoid a repeat. Propane outboard was the winning solution. No more gasoline on the boat.

Ted

Duct tape on the fuel cap would have been a less expensive solution but I'm with you on the propane motor. It seems they came out (or I heard about them) shortly after I bought my small Honda.

I have a large Igloo cooler secured on the FB that holds 2 5-gallon cans and 2 2-gallon cans. This cooler top is snapped closed and covered with a canvas tarp. The area surrounding the cooler is SS rail and canvas so there's plenty of ventilation. Even if every can ruptured, the cooler could easily contain the spill.

It would also contain the explosive fumes from the spilled gasoline. I would think venting it would be a good idea.

Just my thoughts though. It's not something I have a degree in.

When they make a 2-3 HP diesel outboard that weighs under 30 LB and sells for under $1500, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

It's got to be a brand name with dealers and service in the USA, not some no-name from China.

Actually,I just read that yanmar has purchased a german co.,and will reintroduce a tier three compliant diesel outboard,in the 27-35 hp range,targeted for small commercial,tender market.Couldnt find any further info as to weight,price ,etc.

Actually,I just read that yanmar has purchased a german co.,and will reintroduce a tier three compliant diesel outboard,in the 27-35 hp range,targeted for small commercial,tender market.Couldnt find any further info as to weight,price ,etc.

I have an eight foot blow up dinghy. My Honda 2HP works well but of course I have to carry gasoline and deal with fuel life and carburetor gumming issues from non-use.

And, I have to carry the outboard up and down the ladder and install it on the dinghy without dropping it in the water. I'm not as young as I used to be so weight is an issue.

We keep getting teased. One day something will really happen.

Ventilation...

The problem with gasoline is evaporation and venting the (explosive) vapor. This vapor is lighter than air and will rise. You need to control any potential for spill but allow the evaporating vapor to vent. In other words, something with a solid BOTTOM or catch basin but open or vented on the TOP. Propane on the other hand is heavier than air and needs to be vented (outside the boat) on the bottom, otherwise it will settle in the low area of your boat (bilge) with the potential for explosion.

I keep 15 gallons of gas in a compartment/seat on the bow of my 42' Krogen; fiberglass sealed bottom with a top lid and venting from the upper portion of the compartment.

I was a career firefighter for 27 years.

Duct tape on the fuel cap would have been a less expensive solution but I'm with you on the propane motor. It seems they came out (or I heard about them) shortly after I bought my small Honda.

I hate duct tape residue. Bigger pluses from the propane are that it doesn't go bad, no chance of water in the fuel, and you can run your grill off the tank in a pinch.

Ted

I have an eight foot blow up dinghy. My Honda 2HP works well but of course I have to carry gasoline and deal with fuel life and carburetor gumming issues from non-use.

And, I have to carry the outboard up and down the ladder and install it on the dinghy without dropping it in the water. I'm not as young as I used to be so weight is an issue.
I was thinking more on the lines where someone has a davit.Dont think anyone is gonna carry a diesel outboard(maybe the "rock",but definitely not me):facepalm:

I was thinking more on the lines where someone has a davit.Dont think anyone is gonna carry a diesel outboard(maybe the "rock",but definitely not me):facepalm:

I can't imagine removing the motor every use. To me that is a sure way to discourage me from using it. I want some form of davit or crane or platform that can handle tender and motor.

here that,after three back surgeries,my days of humping weight are over.Takes too long to recover,sorta like hangovers when you get older as compared to when you were twenty.:)

Somehow the tens of thousands of cruisers seem to get by.

I personally have not heard of a fire/explosion from reasonably stored gas on a boat. At least small, normal containers in good condition and it's contents transferred properly.

Won't say it can't happen....just be a little careful and the odds are greatly with you.

Ted had his scare and made a perfectly reasonable decision. But he neither blew up or caught fire..

As I posted earlier, many.... many....probably bazillion of spills don't turn into disaster. Why? Think it through and reasonable care should be adequate.

Want to drop the danger from 99.99% safe front gas issues? Go to propane.

Now eliminate all issues to be 100% safe. Good luck!!! :eek:

Last edited:
Somehow the tens of thousands of cruisers seem to get by.

I personally have not heard of a fire/explosion from reasonably stored gas on a boat.

Won't say it can't happen....just be a little careful and the odds are greatly with you.

Ted had his scare and made a perfectly reasonable decision. But he neither blew up or caught fire..

As I posted earlier, many.... many....probably bazillion of spills don't turn into disaster. Why? Think it through and reasonable care should be adequate.

agree,and a side note,gasoline stains on fiberglass are a b#$tch to remove.

Not quite sure why you don't want to leave your gas can(s) in the dingy. I have separate gas container for the outboard and a spare 3 gal. gas container for the generator and leave them in the dingy covered but the cover is not entirely sealed. Never had an issue and would rather have them there than on the boat. My dingy is suspended on davits.

Go to oars. Of course then even you introduce an additional list of dangers based on wind, current, physical condition.

You can't make any of this risk free. What you do is manage the risks. Note that in business we don't have Risk Elimination departments, we have Risk Management. I've read on here dozens of ways various boaters are managing the risks of gas on their boats. I find it a bit humorous to see the fears of gas on boats sometimes when those same people drive cars fueled by gas and I've seen and heard of thousands more fires and explosions related to gas in automobiles than I have on boats.

I've always had boats that ran on gas. Only the last few years had diesel. I'd say put the gas somewhere safely, but then spend your time worrying about electrical issues instead.

The problem with gasoline is evaporation and venting the (explosive) vapor. This vapor is lighter than air and will rise. .

That is contrary to what we are told concerning gasoline powered inboard boats. We are told that gasoline vapors sink to the bottom and are to be removed with the blower (which actually sucks). The blower hoses are routed to and suck from the bottom of the bilge.

Back
Top Bottom