Old 09-02-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Overtime
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee
Transporting Gasoline

I have a Honda generator and an outboard motor on the dinghy both requiring gasoline, where is the best place to store it? Don't want it on the lower deck and a spill on the upper deck could be a serious blow to an otherwise good day. I'm thinking of keeping the containers in the dink but that would mean no cover for the dink. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Manatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Upper deck in a dock box fixed to the deck. The dock box we installed has partitions to keep the two gas containers I have upright and stable.

It is difficult on our Krogen 42 to tie the gas can to the railings as is done on sailboats.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Sure a gasoline spill is dangerous.....ever have a major one?

In 50+ years of messing around with canisters of fuel, I haven't had one. That includes 13 yeas of assistance towing carrying 3 containers of gas and 2 diesel. Passing them back and forth between small boats with people who probably shouldn't be allowed to operate scisdors, let alone a boat.

Use good containers as secure them...no big deal. If necessary, double tank them like Bay suggested...a sturdy liquid proof box well secured.

Have absorbent pads ready for any spill, clean them up quickly and ventilate. Spills don't always mean fire and explosion...manage those risks...don't be afraid.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Without actually looking at your boat or at least a few photos, I cant suggest specifically where to store it. Ever see a cruising sailboat? Many have a half dozen or more five gallon fuel containers strapped to the rail on the deck.

Use quality containers made for fuel and replace them when they begin to deteriorate. Remember that gasoline vapors are heavier than air so don't store them where vapors could enter your boat or especially the bilge. Don't store gasoline anywhere near a possible source of ignition or spark.

I store one gallon of gasoline in my boat's open cockpit. Any fumes will either blow away or drain through the cockpit drains. There are no fumes though. The container is in good condition.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
I used a box with a non sealed bottom mounted on the swim platform.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Keep ours on the fly bridge, well secured but open to the air.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
The PO of my boat kept a small gas can in an under seat storage space on the flybridge. Those compartments have a drain to the outside. I never would have worried about it. Maybe I should think more carefully?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
We strap a gas jug to the swim step.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I had a fuel cap on an outboard motor tank, vibrate loose during a crossing in 7' seas. The tank was in the dingy on the roof. Fuel splashed out of the tank, into the dingy, out the drain plug hole, and all over the back deck. Considered a number of options to avoid a repeat. Propane outboard was the winning solution. No more gasoline on the boat.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We have 3-5 gallon jugs plus the 2.5 gallon tank in the dinghy. The 3 jugs are tied to the upper deck's stanchions or life lines. I overfilled one a few years ago and the small amount lost went over the side. Other than that we've never had any issues. Any gas transfers are done on the swim platform.

Lena made the covers for UV protection.

We use the dinghy for fishing and exploring and we can go through 10-12 gallons easily in a week.
Attached Thumbnails
gas tank storage.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:23 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have a large Igloo cooler secured on the FB that holds 2 5-gallon cans and 2 2-gallon cans. This cooler top is snapped closed and covered with a canvas tarp. The area surrounding the cooler is SS rail and canvas so there's plenty of ventilation. Even if every can ruptured, the cooler could easily contain the spill.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #12

Please don't chastise me for this,cause I never actually looked into it,but do they make diesel outboards.I know you can get diesel jet propulsion tenders,but outboards?I know they would be big bucks,and the smallest tender for the jets that I have seen is 16 ft.,but this would solve a lot of the above questions.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #13
Guru

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Been running since late April with 10 gallons of fuel on the boat deck (fly bridge) secured to the railing with those orange ( and other color) twisty, malleable metal things..zero problems.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:29 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
Please don't chastise me for this,cause I never actually looked into it,but do they make diesel outboards.I know you can get diesel jet propulsion tenders,but outboards?I know they would be big bucks,and the smallest tender for the jets that I have seen is 16 ft.,but this would solve a lot of the above questions.
Yes, they do. However, they really haven't been very successful and aren't a good match for tenders due to their weight.

Since you commented on jets, just a word there on diesel vs. gas. Williams has one model that comes in diesel and gas. It is their 445, 14'10". The gas version weighs 959 lbs and reaches 53 mph with 120 hp. The diesel version weighs 1852 lbs and reaches 40 mph with 110 hp. In larger tenders the diesel makes a lot of sense. However, in a boat that is limited to a 15' tender, that boat isn't likely to be able to handle that much weight well.

By comparison on the boat we're using for the loop, we're using model 385, which is 12'6". It weighs 794 lbs and runs 53 mph with 120 hp. We don't run it at that speed and with a full load it won't run it. However, it planes quickly and handles 4 people or a maximum of 5 well.

So, whether outboard or inboard, on a moderately sized tender, weight is the issue with diesel.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I had a fuel cap on an outboard motor tank, vibrate loose during a crossing in 7' seas. The tank was in the dingy on the roof. Fuel splashed out of the tank, into the dingy, out the drain plug hole, and all over the back deck. Considered a number of options to avoid a repeat. Propane outboard was the winning solution. No more gasoline on the boat.

Ted
Duct tape on the fuel cap would have been a less expensive solution but I'm with you on the propane motor. It seems they came out (or I heard about them) shortly after I bought my small Honda.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I have a large Igloo cooler secured on the FB that holds 2 5-gallon cans and 2 2-gallon cans. This cooler top is snapped closed and covered with a canvas tarp. The area surrounding the cooler is SS rail and canvas so there's plenty of ventilation. Even if every can ruptured, the cooler could easily contain the spill.
It would also contain the explosive fumes from the spilled gasoline. I would think venting it would be a good idea.

Just my thoughts though. It's not something I have a degree in.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
When they make a 2-3 HP diesel outboard that weighs under 30 LB and sells for under $1500, I'll be the first in line to buy one.

It's got to be a brand name with dealers and service in the USA, not some no-name from China.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #18

Actually,I just read that yanmar has purchased a german co.,and will reintroduce a tier three compliant diesel outboard,in the 27-35 hp range,targeted for small commercial,tender market.Couldnt find any further info as to weight,price ,etc.
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Actually,I just read that yanmar has purchased a german co.,and will reintroduce a tier three compliant diesel outboard,in the 27-35 hp range,targeted for small commercial,tender market.Couldnt find any further info as to weight,price ,etc.
I have an eight foot blow up dinghy. My Honda 2HP works well but of course I have to carry gasoline and deal with fuel life and carburetor gumming issues from non-use.

And, I have to carry the outboard up and down the ladder and install it on the dinghy without dropping it in the water. I'm not as young as I used to be so weight is an issue.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
We keep getting teased. One day something will really happen.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote