Old 12-27-2021, 11:58 PM   #1
hrk
Veteran Member

City: Washington
Teak or no teak?

We are in process of buying a new KK 60’.
What are experiences of KK owners about teak on aft deck or side deck?
What is recommended maintainence procedures? How often?
Have heard sometimes they do develop leaks. Trying decide if we should have teak floors in aft and side deck.

Hrk
—————-
hrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 12:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
If you don't know you want teak, then do not get teak.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:13 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Hi

Nordic tug installed teak side deck and cockpit zero screw connection, they are glued my tug. The boat is now +10 years old and has had snow / ice at -20 ° C- + 30 ° C and has stayed fine, naturally no leaks.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 01:27 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
If KK are offering teak decking options in a 60ft new build surely they would answer your questions.
Personally,I`m a fan of teak on covered side decks and cockpit, but not on the exposed foredeck. Glued teak should not leak. Some people let it go to grey, others apply treatments like Semco,others clean it with an abrasive teak cleaner and brush. Aggressive leaning causes wear,possibly hastening renewal.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 10:53 AM   #5
hrk
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
If you don't know you want teak, then do not get teak.
I do think teak looks great. The question really is what dosnside if any is there for having one.
Old 12-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
For at least 20 years, now the teak used on decks has been attached solely with glue in production boats. This eliminates the penetration by screwing, that led to failures in some older boats. Without that potential to fail, the only downside of using teak has gone. Teak may be a little more money than other surfaces, but its non-skid properties and appearance still make it the best choice, IMHO.
My own boat is now 41 yrs old, with factory installed teak decks that have never failed. Maintenance consists, in the case of screwed decks like mine, of keeping up with exposures of the screw heads, removing and sealing them, and in the case of all other aspects of the teak on deck, clean with salt water and a soft brush.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk View Post
I do think teak looks great. The question really is what dosnside if any is there for having one.
If you are not one to want teak, then do not get it. Requires work to maintain. You look at a boat polished for sale, it will not look like that in a year or two.
Me I like the teak look as opposed to the plastic look so will put more time into maintenance of it.
It is really that simple, you must want it to begin with and are prepared to put in the time, otherwise do not get it.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:23 AM   #8
hrk
Veteran Member

going with Teak!

KK is offering Teak floor for aft and side deck as standard. I like teak. I was worried about leakage after some years of usage. couple of responses convinced me that that is not an issue when teak is glued and not screwed in.
I am willing to do the maintenance so I guess it is going to be teak floors.

thanks for responses,

hrk
Old 12-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #9

City: Henrico, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
We had teak decks on our GB, a 1991, they were screwd down. Previous owners had not properly maintained the service, sanding it, I suspect cleaning it chemically. Both are bad ideas. Personally, I think the surface is attractive and a good deck covering, if properly maintained. But even the newer glee decks need to have the seams rechecked at some point and that is a PIA.
I do not want another teak deck. I equate them to a 22 year old drop dead gorgeous woman (sorry ladies not PC I know); pretty to look at but expensive and high maintenance.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #10
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk View Post
KK is offering Teak floor for aft and side deck as standard. I like teak. I was worried about leakage after some years of usage. couple of responses convinced me that that is not an issue when teak is glued and not screwed in.
I am willing to do the maintenance so I guess it is going to be teak floors.

thanks for responses,

hrk
Why not a third option of maintenance-free synthetic teak?
Old 12-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
To each his own.
For me, wood is decorative and belongs inside.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
To each his own.
For me, wood is decorative and belongs inside.

Ted
But teak decking is also functional, not just decorative. I have to agree most other exterior wood is decorative, but it does look nice if you are willing to maintain it.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:33 AM   #13

City: West coast
Teak! Though I would think longer about the fore peak but still probably get it there too. To be candid though, I outsource the maintenance. I have varnished teak cap rails too just to double down!
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
But teak decking is also functional, not just decorative. I have to agree most other exterior wood is decorative, but it does look nice if you are willing to maintain it.
Wood hulls chinked with cotton are also functional. The overwhelming consensus is that there are better choices for hulls and decks. When having a boat built, you get to choose what you want.

Ted
Old 12-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #15

City: Henrico, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Regarding artificial teak, we tried that on current bot. It is hot in sun but the quality of the install is major factor. Our installer either used the wrong glue or just didn't use enough. I can rip up sections with my hands, and I lost a fair amount of strength 2 years ago. I am removing that now and no-skidding the cockpit. Our son, yacht sales, was originally favorably inclined to the man-made teak, but he said most owners tear it up as it doesn't stay down. Likely install issue, I am confident we have a glue that will work.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #16

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Wood hulls chinked with cotton are also functional. The overwhelming consensus is that there are better choices for hulls and decks. When having a boat built, you get to choose what you want.

Ted
I much prefer walking on teak than fiberglass and I find it less slippery and perhaps less hot. (More functional) Plus it looks better to me. (Non functional).

As you point out, it’s a tradeoff in personal preferences, how those are weighted versus greater maintenance. So no wrong decision for any informed individual.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #17
Guru

To reply to a few previous posts.....

I've never had true teak decking. Soon after I bought my current boat, I had synthetic teak installed over some areas of white non-skid deck. Two big variables are the skill of the installer and the quality of the product you choose. There is a wide range on both of those. Mine looks and feels like real wood and is more functional than the non-skid. Better grip when wet and stays cleaner. Walk barefoot on a damp non-skid deck and you'll likely leave some footprints. It does get hot in the full sun, but so does everything except maybe bright white decking. How hot it gets depends on the color you choose. But it's easier on the eyes than glaring white in full sun and adds a lot to the overall appearance. I couldn't be happier with it and glad I had it installed.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
I much prefer walking on teak than fiberglass and I find it less slippery and perhaps less hot. (More functional) Plus it looks better to me. (Non functional).

As you point out, it’s a tradeoff in personal preferences, how those are weighted versus greater maintenance. So no wrong decision for any informed individual.
IMO, Kiwigrip is the ultimate non-skid. If you do it yourself or supervise the installation, you can choose the level of non-skid you desire. When I did mine, we put a benign level on the swim platform and a very aggressive level on the foredeck, based on in what conditions I might be where.

I can certainly appreciate the appearance of teak decks, just as an all wood hull or lots of varnished exterior wood.....on somebody else's boat.

Btw, Kiwigrip grip comes in a variety of colors.

Ted
Old 12-29-2021, 09:29 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I’d forgo the teak if the decks have molded in non skid vs painted with non skid added.

We had teak sides and aft deck on our KK42 that we owned for 13 years. I had to recalk several seams. We also had wear areas where we boarded regularly.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #20
Guru

I put the synthetic teak over molded non-skid and think it's much better. Just my opinion, no right or wrong. The product I chose had panels manufactured at the factory from templates made on my boat. All seams are thermally welded at the factory. Here's a decent article if anyone is interested.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/boa...etic-teak-test

Tags
aft deck, teak floor