Old 12-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #21
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Soon after I bought my current boat, I had synthetic teak installed over some areas of white non-skid deck.
Quote:
I put the synthetic teak over molded non-skid and think it's much better. Just my opinion, no right or wrong. The product I chose had panels manufactured at the factory from templates made on my boat. All seams are thermally welded at the factory.

Which one did you use? How long ago? And how is it wearing?

-Chris
Old 12-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #22
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
After doing some research, I landed on Permateek. Seemed to be one of the best rated from several articles and reviews online. Still looks like new after 3-4 seasons. Thie link below is the local installer that did mine and there are pics of my boat on his site. There are many shades of colors and styles to choose from. You also help create the design in terms of leading and trailing borders, etc. Highly recommended from my experience. I also looked at Flexiteek and it didn't seem as durable or life-like and was more expensive.

https://www.northcountryboatworks.com/permateek
Old 12-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
With a modern installation (glued down, not screwed down) you don’t need to worry about leaks. But teak can still be a lot of maintenance, depending on how you want it to look. I have been progressively getting rid of exterior teak because the maintenance is huge. We now have zero exterior wood, either bare or varnished. Much easier to maintain.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
With a modern installation (glued down, not screwed down) you don’t need to worry about leaks. But teak can still be a lot of maintenance, depending on how you want it to look. I have been progressively getting rid of exterior teak because the maintenance is huge. We now have zero exterior wood, either bare or varnished. Much easier to maintain.
+1.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Jade Panama'
Vessel Model: 2001 Rayburn Custom 76
Quote:
After doing some research, I landed on Permateek. Seemed to be one of the best rated from several articles and reviews online. Still looks like new after 3-4 seasons. Thie link below is the local installer that did mine and there are pics of my boat on his site. There are many shades of colors and styles to choose from. You also help create the design in terms of leading and trailing borders, etc. Highly recommended from my experience. I also looked at Flexiteek and it didn't seem as durable or life-like and was more expensive.

https://www.northcountryboatworks.com/permateek

We have permateak on our 60 and while I love the look, feel and the maintenance of it, it gets way too hot. Our color mimicks real teak in color, but even here in Seattle, it was unbearable. We had to spay it down every 10 min to avoid scorching our feet.

Our new 76 has real teak and omg what a difference. So soft to the feet, beautiful, and it does not get hot. Yes, much more maintenance but worth it. …at least for us
Old 12-29-2021, 12:48 PM   #26

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: Dryade
Vessel Model: Trawler 72
On fiberglass boat

Ok why not.
But never never on steel or alloy boat,

we had teak on 2 steel boat : removed
we had teak on one alloy boat removed

2 disadvantage with teak: hot in summer ( far more than a white deck), more weight in wrong place
2 advantage little more insulation in winter time and less noisy when ....raining
On our actual boat we removed all the teak and save more than 600kg at an average 2 m above wl
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #27
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Good feedback Jade. I wonder what it is about the syn-teak that makes it so hot vs. wood? you would think similar colors would be just as hot, but I don't have the experience you do. I do have to agree that in full sun in the summer, walking barefoot can be a problem, so either some flip flops or spraying the decks can be needed. Like everything else, more compromises. For me and my boat, it's an inconvenience that I have to deal with sometimes, but still worth it to me. Some of it is in the pilothouse anyway, so no issue with sun there. I also don't have it on the foredeck, so if you had all of your decking done, it might be a bigger issue.
Old 12-29-2021, 03:51 PM   #28
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
After doing some research, I landed on Permateek. Seemed to be one of the best rated from several articles and reviews online. Still looks like new after 3-4 seasons.
Thanks, useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadePanama View Post
We have permateak on our 60 and while I love the look, feel and the maintenance of it, it gets way too hot. Our color mimicks real teak in color, but even here in Seattle, it was unbearable. We had to spay it down every 10 min to avoid scorching our feet.

Equally useful, thanks for that, too.

-Chris
Old 12-29-2021, 04:12 PM   #29

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Constellation
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Teak is beautiful, and I never want it again. The only external teak on our current boat is the 7 rungs on the ladder to the flybridge ... why? Oh, and of course they need to be redone.

I see many of the newer boats are getting rid of the teak and holly interiors as well - going with more modern / brighter painted or covered surfaces. I like the new style personally.

Den
M/V Constellation
Constellation1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aft deck, teak floor