Portlight screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ventana

Vessel Name
Ventana
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Anyone have a source for screens, or at least the frames for screens for a KK42. I have all the screens for the smaller ports, but none for the two larger ones in the wheelhouse.

Photos and a brand name?

They are the original early 80’s cast bronze, no markings. I can take measurements and do some searching, but I was feeling lazy and thought someone might have already done my legwork for me.

Boats in that vintage may have used different portholes on different boats. Some manufacturers were very consistent but a lot of manufacturers used whatever was available or the cheapest at the time. I don’t know about Krogens practices were.

Thinking outside the box a bit. Check your local craft store for needlepoint frames. Usually you can find something fairly close to the correct diameter. Buy 2 and nest them with some nylon bug screen in between.

Lena made these using plastic window screen, binding and Velcro. Every year or so we have to renew the Velcro on the window frames but the screens sure store easily when we’re not using them.

Attachments

• E6F137FE-8E73-4450-B007-4B4C558608D4.jpeg
    E6F137FE-8E73-4450-B007-4B4C558608D4.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 28E750B3-5668-4D3F-B123-D79B68325883.jpeg
    28E750B3-5668-4D3F-B123-D79B68325883.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 94
  • B81BD13E-0653-4BB1-9624-CF632E228B91.jpeg
    B81BD13E-0653-4BB1-9624-CF632E228B91.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 91
Thinking outside the box a bit. Check your local craft store for needlepoint frames. Usually you can find something fairly close to the correct diameter. Buy 2 and nest them with some nylon bug screen in between.

That was my plan for the larger round one in the galley, although local craft store doesn’t really apply here so I’ll have to wait for my next trip to the big city.

Lena made these using plastic window screen, binding and Velcro. Every year or so we have to renew the Velcro on the window frames but the screens sure store easily when we’re not using them.

Those look slick. I’m also wondering how secure ours have to be to keep the cat inside. So far she hasn’t tried a jailbreak through the screens on the wheelhouse half doors, but I see her staring and scheming a lot so it’s just a matter of time. I figure if she goes out the porthole at least she won’t go directly in the water.

Depending on what is around the portholes you could get the soft screen and sew an binding around the edge and put snaps in the binding and then put snaps in the bulkhead around the porthole. Then just open the porthole and snap the screen in place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom