Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #1

City: Rockland, Maine
Vessel Name: Jubilee
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42
Mooring pick up with high bow

Hi Folks,

We are the new owners of a KK42 #41 which is now named Jubilee. We came over to the power side from a Camper Nicholson 39 ketch and I am wondering how folks deal with picking up the mooring over the KK42 high bow.

Do you have a ten foot high pickup buoy, do you pick up the mooring abeam and walk it forward or do you just have an enormous boat hook?

I get dizzy just looking down off the bow.

Cheers
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My boat has a high bow. I run a long line from the cleat through the hause pipe back to just outside my pilothouse door. Pick the mooring up there and take the line back up through the hause pipe and take the slack out. I do this solo, so getting the mooring in the right spot and completely stopping the boat is critical.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
We pick up from cockpit, attach a long lead and walk it forward on side decks. Many KKs have the aft enclosure that adds a gyration or two.

Many years ago I served as foredeck crew on a large ocean racer. We'd approach mooring ball under sail, helmsman would luff off and with vessel possibly stationary I'd grab it with a long boat hook. The skipper taught me some new words if I missed the grab as it was a sin to start the auxiliary and go around.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We had an even higher bow than yours on our Hatteras 56MY. Depended a lot on the mooring configuration, but typically we would grab it midships. We also had an extendable boat hook available. We based ourselves one summer in Westport Harbor, MA and when we reserved the spot a month or two in advance, they were nice enough to put a long stick on a buoy Kind of like what you see on some crab/lobster pots but about 6 feet long, that we could grab when alongside.

You can see the stick poking out from the port side of the bow. I sometimes thought of getting one that we could attach to various mooring rigs if we were going to be there awhile, but never did. As a side note this is also an example of how mooring systems vary:

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
We cleat one end of a line to the bow and walk it back outside everything to lower midship ( off the Portuguese Bridge). Sian picks up the pendant, puts the line through the eye, drops the pendant and walks the line back to the bow and cleats that.

We fall back off the ball and leave the line long until we have engines off and everything settled, then we go to the bow and snug the mooring as we wish.

It took a while for me to get comfortable doing this as I was worried about catching the mooring line on the stabilizer fin, but that really is not a worry.

Another big advantage is that I can easily see where the ball is in relation to the side of the boat - which you can't do with a high bow.

I would be cautious having your crew pick up the pendant and try walking that forward as mooring lines are pretty short as they tend to go more directly to the bottom. And with your boat falling back there will be a big strain, especially if walking higher onto the bow.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Trenton
I pulled up next to it on the helmsman's side and grabbed the float with a boat hook.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Guru

As you'll discover, there is not one method that fits all mooring systems, which there are many variations. So take our various suggestions as a group, there is not one be-all and end-all answer. One advantage of using a managed mooring field is you can call ahead and have the harbormaster tell you what the process is; some places you can radio as you approach the harbor and they will have a launch come out and help you get secured (and maybe even sign you in). They will tell you if you need to use your own lines to make fast, which I do anyway if at all possible. Most harbormasters don't want your boat careening loose through the field any more than you do.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 AM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We have been using a Hook & Moor for 5 years, and it works 100% of the time. The largest model extends to 10.4-feet. We usually pick up a dozen mooring buoys each summer and we both feel it's one of the best pieces of equipment on the boat. Totally removes the stress of picking up a mooring.

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.co...ucts/hook-moor
Attached Images

https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Guru

Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Do you pick up from the bow using that?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
In a strong current past the mooring, picking it up from a high bow may not be possible. In that case, what I do is to pick it up from the lower side of the boat, or even at the swim grid and tie off. Then I arrange a bow line through the mooring eye.

If you can park with your bow on top of the mooring, then you could use a pendant that you can pick up with a boat hook, so that there is something you can reach with your boat hook and bring on deck. In my home waters, a floating pendant quickly grows weed, so is unwelcome on deck. Even carefully coiling a pendant on the top of the mooring doesn't save it from being in the water when you arrive, as animals, Otters, Cormorants, that like to claim the bouy as their own will push the pendant into the water. The shape of the bouy itself may prevent keeping the pendant out of the water

Just saw the above "hook and moor", that looks very good, but is expensive at over $300 Cdn and doesn't ship to Canada. I would be interested once shipping is overcome and the price comes down.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
Guru

Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
We use our mooring bridle. Just attach it to the bow cleats normally and throw it over the mooring ball when you get close enough. The weight of the shackles and chain hook will sink the loop below the ball holding you in place as long as you want. We then use the boat hook to pull the pendant up and run our mooring line through the ring. You can then remove the bridle from the bow cleats and adjust the mooring line to the correct length.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Do you pick up from the bow using that?
Yes, every time. Our bow is 6'6" high.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Just saw the above "hook and moor", that looks very good, but is expensive at over $300 Cdn and doesn't ship to Canada. I would be interested once shipping is overcome and the price comes down.
We do ship them to Canada. But you're right, they are not cheap! (But well worth it, in our opinion)

Old 05-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
Rob

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen KK42
We’ve got a KK42 as well. You’re simply going to have trouble catching a ball from the bow! What we do is approach a ball at a crawl speed, then grab the ball at midship and walk it foreword. I don’t think that with the shape of our vessel that it would be safe to grab a ball from the swim step. Personally I don’t want any lines near that prop!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #15
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Lots of good advice given. I can offer how not to do it.

Since you have a heavy boat, best not to attempt to pick up a mooring line bare-handed and try to hold it in a strong current. Mollusks just love them. Ask me how I know.
Attached Thumbnails
FB32FA43-E73D-402D-BC5B-C1079181AD13.jpg  
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #16
Rob

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Lady Anne
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen KK42
Something that we’ve Found to be very handy is a”Grab-N-Go” by C. Sherman Johnson available from West Marine for about $95. This easy to use hook allows you to make an easy temporary connection to a ball while threading a more secure line Thur the eye. I leave the Grab-N-Go line connected to the ball to use as a safety line. Also makes it very safe and easy to drop the ball when you are all done!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #17
Guru

Make no assumptions. You do NOT want to secure yourself in anyway to that ball shown dangling off my bow in the picture. We had a device similar to the Hook 'n Moor on our boat, based on PNW charter experiences in the San Juans and Gulf Islands and the types of moorings we experienced up there. In our years of cruising up and down the east coast and mooring in any number of places, we never used it, for a variety of reasons, mostly due to variety of moorings.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Here is another brand
EasyMoor
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #19
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I own the EasyMoor, the HappyHooker, and a couple of other versions. The Hook & Moor is better than all the rest, hands down. It is made better, and it works better. The mechanism is fiendishly clever.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #20

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
On my KK42 I pick up on starboard (starboard prop-walk) at bottom of stairs from front deck. Our bow line reaches this far. Sometimes it takes two tries but mostly not.