Manatee windlass repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftbinc

Vessel Name
Oma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogan\Manatee
Hi all
the next project is to fix the platform the windlass was on. The platform was leaking and the inner foam was nasty. I have opened up the deck underneath the teak strips where the windlass was mounted. I will re-glass both the cavity and the deck.

What should I fill the space with? What kind of foam before I reglass the deck? I’m open to ideas

Thanks in advance

Paul
KK Manatee Oma

Paul: How about some pics of the area. It’s hard to imagine the size of the void there...varies from boat to boat. What about the pulpit itself? Is it weak? I can be cored with resin soaked and glassed marine plywood or coosa board. You need something rather dense to give bite and compression resistance when you add the accessories.

Check out Divinycell as a core material

Paul, I used US Composities two part 8 lb foam to back fill the pulpit and around the chain pipes. I then covered the old opening with 5/8” aluminum plate.

Attachments

• C5EC9F49-F1ED-4C44-98D6-B51ECED8E275.jpg
    C5EC9F49-F1ED-4C44-98D6-B51ECED8E275.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 41
Hi Larry

I will send pics tomorrow it is a24x15 x1.5 inch space. It was filled with foam and a fiberglass top with teal strips on top. Wondering what kind of foam to refill with

Thanks paul

Paul, I used US Composities two part 8 lb foam to back fill the pulpit and around the chain pipes. I then covered the old opening with 5/8” aluminum plate.

Always loved the setup you have on the pulpit, Bill. One day my own pulpit will rise to the top of my project list.

Picture of the hole... about 1 inch deep below fiberglass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 40
Check out Divinycell as a core material

What type of foam did you use? H30. H100? Either 3lb per cubic foot or 6lb per cubic foot?

Thanks!!

I eventually will get around to doing this same project on our boat, but it hasn’t been on our priority list. Still, I used 7lb. foam when re-skinning our pilothouse roof, so I sure would want something more than that for compressive resistance alone. If I go down and look at the stateroom ceiling when working the windlass, I can see the Windlass backing plate flexing from the torque. This area needs to be pretty stiff to pull those bigger anchors. You’ve got it open now. Whatever you use, don't skimp.

What type of foam did you use? H30. H100? Either 3lb per cubic foot or 6lb per cubic foot?

Thanks!!
I have never used it. A very good fiberglass guy told me that is what you use.

Boat Works Today has recently done some videos working with Coosa as core material, you might look at them and see what he thought.

Back
Top Bottom