Old 06-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #21
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
The last two days have seen the tracks for the sliding panels of Lexan come together after much measuring and calculations. The use of s/s fender washers to adjust the upper tracks because of the roof sag has worked well. Both entrance half doors will need a filler piece to aline the single track that closes off that area, this will be the next job as all the tracks are now installed. I had a buddy helping with the installation and I would recommend doing this, it makes the job so much easier and two eyes are always better than one. The only problems we ran into where sizing the pilot holes for #5 and #6 brass screws into the fiberglass, and when drilling the s/s tracks the drill bit wanted to snag the felt liner under the nylon slide in the bottom of the tracks. I guess a metal punch might be the answer to avoid the snagging problem. Cutting the s/s tracks was a snap using a multil speed saber saw with metal blade. I also set up a work table which was great for cutting and drilling the s/s tracks.
Bill
Attached Images

HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Guru

Next step is to buy some 4' x 8' sheets of sign board and work up the ten templates that make up the sliding Lexan panes. They will be roughly 37 1/2" tall and 23.5 wide, the 4" over lap on the panes will require some give and take in the width. Since I chose to use fender washers to align the tracks I will need to do some filling on the top tracks with caulk and or two part Marine-Tex and cavasil. I will post the next steps soon.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #23
Guru

Today template/patterns were cut from sheets of 4' x 8' sign board that's available at sign companies. It is ridgid enough to simulate the Lexan sliding panes in the enclosure. It also shows the aft corner angles because the tracks are not vertically aligned due to the construction of the roof and sills. Also it's a good way to figure out the 4" pane overlaps. There are ten panes total and it looks like four sheets of 4' x 8' Lexan will be needed. Next step will be cutting the Lexan to size and making minor adjustments. It can be cut with a circular saw fitted with a plywood fine toothed blade but I'm going to explore having it cut by a glass company.
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00042.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Superb report. It's good to see the project coming along, step-by-step. The unique usage of the sign material is something I won't forget in future projects.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #25
Guru

Thanks Larry on Bucky and Robert on Mango Mama for all the information and photos, with your help the pilothouse enclosure was 95% completed today.
The Lexan panels have been fitted and installed leaving room for thermal expansion. We found out that a sharp block plane can be used to size the panes to the tracks. Now that I can see the enclosure with the sliders installed I'm sorry it toke me this long to do this improvement. I and others said it really is a great improvement to the boat. The last 5% of the job will be caulking and fitting StanPro edge seals to the sliders, and I plan on adding bottom door seals to each door.
And then there's the idea that since the A/c evaporator coil and blower are right close under the steering console why not heat and air the pilothouse, but that will be for another day.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
CAM00048.jpg   CAM00049.jpg   CAM00050.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #26
Ray
Veteran Member

City: Scottsboro,Al
Vessel Name: PatsyRay
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship Trawler
I watched this project in the works, Bill and his neighbor Ron did a fantastic job!! Very professional. My help involved staying away and not offering any advice, which they appreciated by giving me beer. I can't wait for their next project.

Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Great project Bill and nice work .
Old 06-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
My help involved staying away and not offering any advice, which they appreciated by giving me beer. I can't wait for their next project. Ray
Ray: Drop me a line when you see them putting together a new project. I'd like to come over and not help out. I'm very much looking forward to retiring to this kind of project participation. Like you, many needy boat owners out there could benefit from a lack of my advice and influence.

Seriously though,....the pilothouse looks great.....sort of a contemporary, pillar-less style that smoothes it out a bit, and we all know that Manatees can use some smoothing out. Like Ray, I can't wait for the next project.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:02 AM   #29
Guru

Yesterday Ron and I completed the pilothouse enclosure installing the corner pieces and edge seals which had to be ordered on line. I used StanPro single and double track material, the edge seals are from the same mfg, all being 316 stainless steel. The StanPro rubber edge seal tape # 75000081 laps over the pane edges after lubricating with Windex and the s/s edge seal crimp is then seated using a rubber mallet and wooden block. The four panes that make up the aft corners where joined using 1" x 1" x 36" 20 gage s/s metal and 3M 20 lb extreme double sided tape. I chose not to build teak corner pieces and time will tell in use if my corner construct method will be reliable.
Many thanks again to everyone, Larry, Robert, Ron, my First Mate for provided help and information, photos, and yes Ray too.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2015, 08:51 AM   #30
Ray
Veteran Member

City: Scottsboro,Al
Vessel Name: PatsyRay
Vessel Model: 2004 Mainship Trawler
Bill

Your lack of beverage during the final stages of your project had a huge impact of my "no assistance or advice".
Great job be proud.

Ray
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #31
Guru

You'd eventually finished it with my assistance too, albeit with considerbly more expenditure in the beer department. Maybe the lines wouldn't have been as straight. Now,,,,to the anchor project!