Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 PM   #1
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Manatee Bottom Blister Survey

Our 1987 Hull # 69 is due for haulout and soda blasting soon and we where wondering what other Manatee's have experienced or records show for your hulls. We have been in cooler fresh water for the last eight years, prior to that Florida brackish water exposure.
We are planning on using SeaHawk bottom paint and barrier coatings with Petit zinc spray on the prop as we intend to cruise South into salt water soon. Any words of wisdom ( Opinions ) would be appreciated.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #2

City: Magothy River, MD
Vessel Name: Sabrina
Vessel Model: '85 KK36 Manatee
I don't think I have any words of wisdom, but hull #39 had an Osprey Composite bottom job in '04 and the recent survey showed no blisters whatsoever.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
Guru

I have read good reports on Osprey Composite bottom jobs, pricey but guaranteed. Our last trawler was peeled, rebuilt after five months of dryout with West System epoxy, two coats of barrier paint and bottom paint, five years later at sales haulout survey, guess what, BLISTERS. The size and number wasn't a deal breaker but very disapointed that the hull was not blister free.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #4

That's not what you want to hear. ��
Old 09-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Instead of the Petit prop spray I use Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Compound spray It works very well and costs about $8/can at most hardware stores. It's a very high percentage of zinc.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #6

And that fixes blisters?
Old 09-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #7

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Post #5 is in regard to post #1
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #8

Well, that was my bad! Sorry. I totally misunderstood that one.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
Guru

Thanks hmason, but I already ordered the Petit. I hope the spray zinc works, back in 2002 I was able to use the Petit paint on the prop, struts, and rudder that required everything shiny metal, then an etching solution, then white anti-fouling paint. The repair yard was using it on sport fishing boats with success and the yard worker gave me the left overs to do my trawler. Strictly a no no as the stuff had a control # on it and was only authorized for trained licenced repair facilities. What ever was in it worked.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #10

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
In 2003, when moved from E coast of FL to Lake Travis TX, HEY JUDE had an "agressive" hull sanding & multiple expoxy barrier coats applied. At survey in 2011 no blisters were found, old fresh water bottom paint sanded off & new paint applied. She'll be surveyed again in Nov, hopefully no blisters will be found & salt water bottom paint will be applied.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Worton, MD
Vessel Name: KASSIE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen Manatee
KASSIE had blisters at survey when we purchased. Surveyor assured us they were not serious. Had hull checked at Osprey Composites. At first it was good news then they did more grinding and said some previous poor repairs were just a cosmetic solution. Long story short...new hull job $26k. We are now two years plus in salt and brackish water non stop. Hauled for cleaning only. Actually just done yesterday and bottom remains perfect. We had four coats of hard paint put on by Osprey, two black then two blue. The black is only showing in a few spots and that was after a year of monthly bottom cleaning when we were in Florida. Will haul for this winter and repainted.
Bob
KASSIE hull #93
Kaylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #12
Guru

Haulout schedule for tommorow so I thought I would check thru the copies of Krogen Manatee builders plans I have for " lift points" but none shown on the plans.
I have a photo of another Manatee in a travel lift to go by, it is lifted about 6" aft of the porthole, and just forward of the salon after bulkhead.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #13

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
I have seen a diagram for sling positioning but can't find it. Maybe Healhustler has it.

I was told that the slings want to ride over the interior cabin bulkheads. Supposedly that's the strongest points on a boat.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Haulout schedule for tommorow so I thought I would check thru the copies of Krogen Manatee builders plans I have for " lift points" but none shown on the plans.
I have a photo of another Manatee in a travel lift to go by, it is lifted about 6" aft of the porthole, and just forward of the salon after bulkhead.
I might have those plans on my computer, but am not where I can access them right now. Those points are approximately where I marked my hull and should work well on any decently balanced Manatee, the exception being some added obstruction like Phil's (Hey Jude) bilge keels.
On the blister issue, my bottom has had between 3 and 6 dime sized blisters each time I've hauled for paint, only gelcoat deep no big deal and easy fix. I expect that average to continue with similar environment and same bottom paint. Meanwhile, the core still rings good with the hammer test.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Worton, MD
Vessel Name: KASSIE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen Manatee
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474318376.295951.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	56471Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474318415.597917.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	56472
Here is ours just hauled for bottom cleaning
Bob
KASSIE
Kaylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 PM   #16
Guru

Thanks Larry and Bob, wow 3 to 6 blisters, Larry that would be great, I'll find out soon nowing that blisters are a real crap shoot, with no ryme or reason from hull to hull.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:37 PM   #17
Guru

Bill: I should add that I have asked lots of serious yard workers, "Hey, where's all the blisters", and they usually reply, "Oh, they're there alright, maybe not visible, but they're there". These 70's and 80's hulls blister. Keeping them healthy seems to be reliant on the quality and character of bottom coatings, proper application, and how they perform in your particular environment. It's hit or miss. I used Trinidad non-ablative on my two previous hauls and had good success. I switched to the yard's better claims of Sea Hawk on the last one, but I also moved from the east coast, FL to the Gulf coast. I'll learn this winter if I make a mistake.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
Guru

Haulout this morning gave good news and not so bad news. Good news, the hull beneath the gelcoat is rock solid. The not so good is the gel coat below the waterline has many blister, not a surprise for a 1987. A meeting of the minds concluded that it's time for epoxy barrier coating. The yard machine uses bits of glass and high pressure water. After all the blisters are opened and the bottom paint and gelcoat are removed we will dryout and do barrier coating.
One thing I noticed is the gelcoat has a orange peel texture. I don't know if this normal, I've never seen this type gelcoat before. Also it peels away like thick wall paper, not brittle like most gelcoats I've seen. I guess it could be because of the nearly thirty years exposure to water and bottom paints.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 09-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
These 70's and 80's hulls blister. Keeping them healthy seems to be reliant on the quality and character of bottom coatings, proper application, and how they perform in your particular environment. It's hit or miss.
Yup...My bottom was done by the previous owner in 2006. peeled and 14 coats of Interlux 2000E... $8K job 10 years ago...Nothing evident since...
Old 09-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #20
Guru

Could be worse, Bill. How long has it been since the last haul for bottom paint? That gelcoat orange peal sounds like an over-aggressive application to me. More gelcoat doesn't mean a better gelcoat, and that kind of peeling and blistering would be the result, especially if the initial application was too thick.