Old 03-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We put a pressure pump on it and didnít find any leaks. I put a dye in it last year. Havenít had a chance to use the black light on it yet.
Oops, just remembered, I also replaced both rad caps. Only 4lbs.
The pressure pump reminded me.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:32 AM   #22
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Oops, just remembered, I also replaced both rad caps. Only 4lbs.
The pressure pump reminded me.
Thanks, I have to put the black light on it and see if it shows anything.

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM   #23
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
That rules out a head gasket failure, an unlikely event but possible. More likely, the coolant is going out the exhaust through the heat exchanger. I just a few days ago replaced my 12-year-old exchangers on my FL 120s. I had no evidence of failure and, yes, I suppose they could have lasted years longer. I chose the CuproNickel version which is about $150 more. Cost was $703 each including shipping. Based on this thread, I am glad I spent the money.

While I was at it, I eliminated that hokey connection from the header tank to the exchanger that employs two steel tubes and two short hose connections (and clamps). Instead, I used a coupling at the short elbow from the header tank and then a single long run to the exchager using silicone radiator hose. I was very happy with the result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selidster View Post
First thing I looked at after the expansion tank was the oil. Its oil. Not a oil/coolant milkshake. Thank goodness.
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:48 AM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. c. "That rules out a head gasket failure..." Not necessarily. Might be a failure to the outside of the engine rather than the inside. Coolant leaks to drip pan instead of oil pan. Sorry. response to post #15.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #25
Guru

I did say unlikely but possible. I also said in my first response to start simple. Wouldn't a coolant loss through a head gasket externally be easy to discern? How about draining the heat exchanger and then pressurize the coolant system with a radiator cap tool? If the exchanger were compromised, would it not then fill with coolant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. c. "That rules out a head gasket failure..." Not necessarily. Might be a failure to the outside of the engine rather than the inside. Coolant leaks to drip pan instead of oil pan. Sorry. response to post #15.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:02 AM   #26
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Mine runs at a bit over 180, just what the thermostat calls for.

I overheated mine rather severely one time. Following an injection pump replacement which caused an air lock in the system. I was driving from above and saw the temp gauge peg, looked down and saw steam billowing out of both side doors. Made a quick course correction and shut it down. Coasted into the well at my marina after calling for docking help, thinking I might need "braking" help.

Anyway, long story short. No damage

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:31 AM   #27
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 99. I fully agree. Start with the simplest things first. As you mention, a head gasket failure IS unlikely.

Regarding the potential external leak of coolant: Evidence of leakage might be discernible BUT it may be so slow, over time (as in winter storage) as to become almost invisible, source-wise.

At one point, our boat was in the Hinkley yard in Thunderbolt, GA. I had a pesky oil leak I just could not find the source of. Our Lehman IS oily to a small extent so the "trail" was invisible to me. Their mechanic at the time, Bob, spotted the source immediately. One small O-ring later and WALLA! Thanks Bob.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #28

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: CHITON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I did say unlikely but possible. I also said in my first response to start simple. Wouldn't a coolant loss through a head gasket externally be easy to discern? How about draining the heat exchanger and then pressurize the coolant system with a radiator cap tool? If the exchanger were compromised, would it not then fill with coolant?
I searched the local auto parts and rental stores for a pressure kit that would fit the Lehman 4# radiator cap. No luck. It was all Honda, Toyota, Dodge, etc. None of the adapters would fit the big Lehman cap. Anybody found a source for renting a pressure tester? My next thought is a rubber cork drilled to fit a schrader valve, but renting the real thing would give me more confidence in the results.

Mark
Old 03-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #29
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
second rad cap?

Name:  inline rad cap.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  3.4 KB
Old 03-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #30
Guru

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Flamingo View Post
I searched the local auto parts and rental stores for a pressure kit that would fit the Lehman 4# radiator cap. No luck. It was all Honda, Toyota, Dodge, etc. None of the adapters would fit the big Lehman cap. Anybody found a source for renting a pressure tester? My next thought is a rubber cork drilled to fit a schrader valve, but renting the real thing would give me more confidence in the results.

Mark
Mytivac MV4560 test kit. Available on Amazon and Ebay. Has adapters to fit most systems. Can't imagine that it won't fit a Lehman cap which is quite ordinary on older American cars.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I bought one on Amazon that fits my 225 Lehman. It is currently unavailable but one like it should work.

8MILELAKE 14pc Auto Cooling System Radiator Color Cap Pressure Tester Kit Aluminum Adapters w/Case

Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote