Old 03-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Project finished.
Attached Thumbnails
8F642EA1-757E-4230-8C87-60AE608160A4.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #22

City: Louisville
Hi Larry, New member here. Love your Northsea model with the forward raked windows. Your added railing and wider steps looks great. Been reading some of yours and others past post of the blistering problem on the Manatee's. Has this been a problem for all of them? And I see that "Bottom Peel Jobs" have been done to take care of this. Is there a life span on that after it's been done? I would say that would be expensive and finding someone qualified to do it would be tough.

Tim
Capt. Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:36 AM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Tim View Post
Hi Larry, New member here. Love your Northsea model with the forward raked windows. Your added railing and wider steps looks great. Been reading some of yours and others past post of the blistering problem on the Manatee's. Has this been a problem for all of them? And I see that "Bottom Peel Jobs" have been done to take care of this. Is there a life span on that after it's been done? I would say that would be expensive and finding someone qualified to do it would be tough.

Tim
Tim: I’m just another Manatee owner, but well known among the Krogen owners is Osprey Composits in Maryland. They kinda pioneered the peal and glass method for Krogen cored hulls. I haven’t heard a Krogen owner comment on any hull breaches from blisters or conventional usage after their treatment. There are less expensive alternatives out there but none have inspired the same confidence or warranty. I had my own boat out for a new bottom job after a terrible previous experience at Indiantown. I had a bunch if pretty big blisters but apparently no breach into the core. I ground them out and let it sit for 100 days. No drips.

If you have a decent bottom, the care of these boats is reliant on good, regular bottom service and barrier coat paint. If it’s not a good bottom, a peal & glass job could cost you 25k at Osprey or you can get a similar job done for less than half that at yards here in FL. If you’re looking at a cored hullvessel, find yourself someone who loves their hammer and moisture meter. Have them check the areas of the through-hulls especially. If all else is well, discount the price of the boat for the cost of the job needed. If you like the boat, fix it. My $.02

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #24

City: Louisville
Thanks Larry!
The work you’ve done to your Manatee looks great.
Capt. Tim is offline   Reply With Quote