KK42 Stbd. Berth Mattress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnummi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Bare Necessities/Daydream/In-Motion
Vessel Make
Albin 27FC/Kadey-Krogen 42/Navigtor Classic 53
Anyone ordered a new mattress for a KK42 starboard berth? If someone has measured and/or ordered do you recall source pricing etc.. it's an odd shape and I'm contemplating doing the paper template trick. Existing mattress appears to be a confabulation of foam pieces designed for easy access to holding tank (who's great idea was it to put HT under master berth?)

Thinking custom cut from local shop. I'm 6'2 and about 230lbs. First night on old mattress was a lesson in torture. Yes I fit, the mattress if you can call it that was miserable. Ended up camping out in Pullman. First restoration project now replacing all dead foam cushions/mattresses on boat.

If you have any sewing abilities, such as canvas making or upholstery, you can make some awesome mattresses. I have four staterooms, and I somewhat recently made all new mattresses that mimick the Tempurpedic layup. I am very pleased with the comfort, and the look. Just the bare mattresses looked so nice, that when a room is not in use, I just leave the berths bare. I just couldn't stomach the thought of the cost of 7 custom mattresses, considering I can sew. I did a write up on it, with links to where I got my materials, here: http://www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com/2016/05/14/mattress-making/

We bought a memory foam mattresss from Amazon. I cut it withan electric knife to fit the rounded corners at the foot of the bed. We did add another memory foam topper and it is very comfortable.

?..Thinking custom cut from local shop. I'm 6'2 and about 230lbs. First night on old mattress was a lesson in torture...

Bummer on the torture. :eek: We've had four custom mattress made through the years. Three, the mattress company came out and measured, we measured one. We did ok on the one but the company mattresses knew how to allow for the mattress pad, sheets and blankets. The one we're sleeping on now is 100% natural latex, medium firm. Cost pricless! ($800 plus tax in JAX)

Back
Top Bottom