KK42 Rudder Configuration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ventana

Vessel Name
Ventana
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Anyone have the specs for how the rudder is set up on these boats? I am seeing a lot of movement at the top of the rudder shaft when the boat is in gear, my guess would be it probably needs a new upper shaft bearing if there is one, but it would be nice to know the setup so I can pre-order parts before I haul the boat. I am going to dig through the build drawings I have to see if there is any information there, but they are buried in storage so I thought I would ask here as well.

Thanks.

Im not sure you can preorder. I know of one that was replaced. The owner had a piece of Delrin on hand and a machine shop ready to make a new bearing when he hauled out. Be prepared to replace the ss bolts on the rudder shoe. Some will have suffered from crevice corrosion most likely.

I have blue prints for the rudder construction and my shipwright did a repair when we purchased PH. If you provide me with your email address by PM I can forward you what I have including photographs.

Here is a review of the work that was done:

http://phoenixhunterkk42.blogspot.com/2014/01/up-on-hard-rudder-repair-and-other-work.html

Edit: I should add that if the rudder bearings are worn out, you should definitely check to see if rudder shaft is out of true.

Jim

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom