KK42 frd stateroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark W

Any traps involved in deleting the frd head in the stbd berth arrangement and converting it to the island queen berth layout?

Thinking recycling the existing drawers into the aft end of a new bunk frame. Still some other cabinetwork to try to match...

Cheers in advance. :thumb:

Initially, we thought that a centre queen would be the most desirable option, but when our boat with the offset queen became available for purchase, we jumped at it because of the very fine work the PO had put into the boat. We would not trade it now for a centre queen, as the second head offers major advantages over a single head. The forward head is a salt water flush which offers water conservation on longer trips between water fills. We use the salt water flush directly overboard when running or in remote locations, or for liquid wastes. Something to think about.

Jim

Initially, we thought that a centre queen would be the most desirable option, but when our boat with the offset queen became available for purchase, we jumped at it because of the very fine work the PO had put into the boat. We would not trade it now for a centre queen, as the second head offers major advantages over a single head. The forward head is a salt water flush which offers water conservation on longer trips between water fills. We use the salt water flush directly overboard when running or in remote locations, or for liquid wastes. Something to think about.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Yeah, it's not a huge negative, and there's advantages either way, certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for an otherwise good buy.

But I sort of shot myself in the foot. The other half expressed a preference for not having to clamber over me in the middle of the night, and I was silly enough to agree that it was an intolerable intrusion into my personal space.

She hit me.

So now I'm stuck with having to at least appear to consider the importance of alternative choices wrt sleeping arrangements. So to speak.

If you are taller you will be sleeping on the inside against the hull

We are finding we rarely use the forward head. Only two of us on board but I think you could be happy with the center bed.

To me, a backup head is worth the climb.

Mark W,

Wondering if you ever changed the master stateroom to a center queen? We have been living on our 42 fulltime for about 7 months and a center queen would be really nice. But it's a big remodel. I am wondering the price difference of the boats with a center queen vs the Pullman with double heads.

W don't have a KK but our boat had a large V-berth in the forward cabin, built in makeup table, built in dresser drawers and 4 large closets. The PO had ordered the boat deleting the forward head and the stairs to the pilothouse. The midstateroom has a large berth against the side and a large head compartment.

At our age, crawling over the spouse in the middle of the nite to pee is not desirable.

Immediately after purchase, I removed the walls between the forward stateroom and closets, V-berth, makeup table and dresser and built a queen walk around bed. There was enough room for an actual 60" X 80" queen mattress. A lot of queens on boats and RV's are usually only 72" to 76" long, coffin shaped and require custom sheets.

We had a custom mattress manufactured from real latex with wool topping on both sides to enable flipping. The latex mattress was flexible enough to fold unable to get it through doors and hallway.

Best modification that we did on the boat! Restful sleep without awaking spouse to go to the head.

I don't like the offset Queen in my Albin. It is in the stern cabin with ensuite. There is a forward "V" berth with the second head right there.

I have thought of eliminating the forward head and using the space for additional refrigeration and storage but when we have overnight guests on board the forward head is really, really nice.

We just get used to the offset Queen.

pete

I don't like the offset Queen in my Albin. It is in the stern cabin with ensuite. There is a forward "V" berth with the second head right there.

I have thought of eliminating the forward head and using the space for additional refrigeration and storage but when we have overnight guests on board the forward head is really, really nice.

We just get used to the offset Queen.

pete

We took out the mattress in the mid stateroom and turned into a pantry for storing 2 - 3 months of food and other supplies. And to prevent landlubber friends from wanting to join us. We have more than enough friends with their own boats.

Back
Top Bottom